North to Alaska - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

North to Alaska Reviews

June 6, 2015
For whatever reason, I've never been partial to western comedies and this John Wayne stab at western comedy is not different. Wayne plays a gold prospector dealing with a con artist played by Ernie Kovacs, Steward Granger's troublesome kid brother, Fabian, and also a gold digging French woman, Capucine. It's all quite light and quite broad for a Wayne western, but the film moves at a fast pace and doesn't dawdle long enough anywhere to get boring. Henry Hathaway directed.
March 30, 2015
A romance movie disguised as a western. John Wayne seems like he had a good time with this one.
½ January 9, 2015
Such a feel good movie! :)
½ April 27, 2014
My all time favorite John Wayne movie. Ernie Kovacs turns in a sterling performance.
½ March 7, 2014
Cute story and funny. Reminded me of watching tv with my grandparents
February 12, 2014
While it does have its moments, it's a tad on the unmemorable side.
July 7, 2013
A gold digger in Alaska goes back to Washington to bring his partner's girl back to him. However, the two end up falling in love with each other during the trip. John Wayne only occasionally lent his tough guy persona to more comedy driven vehicles, and out of these film it seems that North to Alaska is the best one of them. Charming in its overall simplicity while also occasionally genuinely funny, Hathaway's film is one that will perhaps please a wider audience than the usual western one.
May 19, 2013
John Wayne at his best wonderful comedy/romance/swashbuckle if thats the word seen it loads
October 28, 2012
One of only two movies starring John Wayne that I actually like. The other is "The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance."
Needless to say, unlike a lot of people my age, I don't think much of the man's acting ability.
But, that is what makes the world go 'round, differences of opinion. Right?
October 11, 2012
funny and entertaining.
½ August 12, 2012
terrible, boring, stupid.....
April 9, 2012
This movie is awesome, another one that I watched with my grandpa.....
February 2, 2012
60/100. Didn't work for me as much as it has for many other Wayne enthusiasts. I found the movie to be overlong, overloaded on campy humor, and predictable. When it came out in 1960, it was a fresh film that showcased Wayne in unfamiliar roles of comedian and repressed lover. But succeeding films McLintock! and to a lesser extent War Wagon not only added on but improved on the comedic elements in Wayne Westerns. In this flick, you could tell the Duke was somewhat out of place, although you could definitely see flashes of John Wayne's underrated comedic ability. Capucine does a great job as Wayne's equal despite what some reviewers have expressed while Stewart Granger maintains good chemistry with both the male and female leads. Fabian surprisingly has good acting and comedy talent and did a much better job than fellow pop star Ricky Nelson did in Wayne's film a year before "Rio Bravo". Opening and ending brawl sequences were way too watered down with camp; the various lame sound effects made the fights more suitable for the Three Stooges or a Warner Brother's cartoon.

I would have given this a rating in the high fifties if this was set in say Texas, but I was won over by the Alaskan scenery and terrific chemistry between Wayne and Capucine. Highlights of the movie were just about every scene between Capucine and Fabian.
October 15, 2011
Broad comedy and romance in the wild west. It reminds me a lot of "The Quiet Man", though it goes to the extreme on the wacky comedy spectrum and is much lighter on the romance--though I think they work in both. Great fight scenes in both, too. This is a lesser known John Wayne movie that probably shouldn't be so obscure because it's just plain fun.
½ October 12, 2011
What can I say, just a good Wayne movie.
½ July 4, 2011
Fun, fun, and more fun!
December 27, 2010
It's silly at times, and then just asinine at times. John Wayne is about the only thing keeping it afloat.
½ December 17, 2010
I was pretty indifferent to this. It's not very funny and the pacing seems turgid. John Wayne almost saves it.