Northfork - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Northfork Reviews

½ July 21, 2010
An obscure masterpiece. I loved just about everything about this strange little movie. It is the story of the denizens of a small town that is being moved to higher ground so a corporation (with black-suit clad men asking the townfolk to move) can make a large lake. Intercut with this story is that of a sick and dying child looked over by a group of angels (you don't see many wings ... but there are some feathers). There is also reference to Biblical flooding, baptism and salvation. I thought the film was beautiful to look at and it was very moving. This is not a film for everyone -- I honestly haven't ever spoken to someone else who saw or liked it -- but I think it is sublime. The Polish brothers are true talents (they also did the oddity Twin Falls, Idaho) and I enjoy their work(s) because of their depth. What you see is not just what you get with them ... dig deeper and you may see something wonderful.
½ June 13, 2010
The sceneries of Montana were truly beautiful, but that's all.
April 30, 2010
i watched this and then saw 'Kitchen Stories' they seemed to compliment each other.
April 9, 2010
It's a very well-directed, well-shot and well-edited movie. As for the other qualities....it's disappointing but man is it good looking.
April 6, 2010
The town's people of Northfolk prepare to exit their homes and lives to make way for a new dam and the promise of a better life. Left behind (at least for the moment) is Father Harlan, who has bound himself to car for and read to a sickly orphan, Irwin, until the boy can be adopted (iin one way or another). The movie is OK. The scenery was good enough to distract you from the slow (and sometimes boring) story-line. But it's obvious that "Pan's Labyrinth" got it's idea from this movie.
March 9, 2010
The plot is strong enough to exist without the strong emphasis of surrealism in Polish's work. It takes a lot away from it.
February 26, 2010
(****): Thumbs Up

I think is safe to say that there really is nothing else like Northfork. Strange and beautiful, with a very strong cast of characters. Worth seeking out if you can find it.
½ February 15, 2010
An underrated gem from the past decade directed by the Polish brothers. A wonderful and creative film about a soon to be flooded town and those that still remain in the area. The ensemble is excellent, I particularly loved Nick Nolte and Robin Sachs. Visually imaginative, excellent cinematography, a great score, and beautifully directed, Northfork may not be for everyone, but it's worth watching.
½ December 16, 2009
I'm really not sure about this movie. There is SO much symbolism. Is it too much? I'm afraid I didn't understand the full picture. Is that just me or was it trying too hard? Weird.
½ December 13, 2009
I luved this movie, it was sucha good idea, I didn't understand sumthings but still, i luved da visual, music, story and characters.
December 11, 2009
I didn't expect much out of this one. The last few times I trusted something with Nick Nolte in it I was severly dissapointed. (Stay away from Breakfast Of Champions). I found this movie to be quite intriguing. The story meandered about but still it was something I could not look away from. No matter how confused I felt I had to watch it to the end to find out what was going on.
The bleached out look, more famously done in Tom Cruises "Minority Reprt, does better here. Giving us a feeling were watching things through a fog.
The movie wont be for everyone. If you like your entertainment simple and light. This may not be the movie for you. If you aren't afraid to invest yourself, check it out. It's worth it.
December 9, 2009
The concept is a story being told through the eyes of a fevered, comatose orphan. There's really only two ways that could pan out. Brilliantly or terrible. This, luckily, is brilliant.
September 15, 2009
I didn't really get this.
½ June 21, 2009
Quite surreal and a tad bit confusing, but great performances by Nick Nolte, Daryl Hannah and James Woods combined with an interesting tale of the last holdouts in a town formerly occupied by angels facing destruction at the hands of progress in the form of a dam makes for an interesting watch. Slow going so not for those who get sleepy watching movies on their couch, but worth it if you like magical realism and 50's period pieces.
½ May 9, 2009
Extremely artistic work in the direction and visual elements of the production. If the underlying story had a bit more meaning, content and depth the film may have worked out very well.
½ May 3, 2009
Beautiful photography and great symbolism in a drowsy screenplay.
April 1, 2009
thought I would like this based on some of my friends reviews, however, I found this to be totally dull and lifeless. big thumbs down!
½ March 31, 2009
Found this movie boring & pointless for me...
½ March 31, 2009
Found this movie boring & pointless for me...
March 24, 2009
Interesting and entertaining movie.
Perspective was important while I watched this one. Ideas are put to moving pictures.
(If you get the DVD and enjoy it, you gotta see the 'about' special features!).