Northwest Frontier - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Northwest Frontier Reviews

April 16, 2016
Saw this when I was 9 or 10 years old and it held an everlasting impression. A great adventure in anybody's language and a great film. One of my all time favourites.
½ July 31, 2011
Classic British Raj type movie where the fine traditions of the notion of white man's burden in civlising the heathen and maintaining order in the outreaches of the empire is celebrated. Whilst a very serviceable film which highlights aspects of troubles which occurred during partitiion, and indeed the failure of the British and later the Soviets to bring the warring tribes under of the North west frontier (Afghanistan) under some sort of control the film looks quite quaint by modern standards. But poor old Kenneth More obviously didn't light Lauren Bacall's fire quite enough to make their on screen flirtation believable. Stewart Grainger may have managed it. For me the unlikely hero of the film, aoart from the Engine itself aptly named Victoria, is Gupta the train engineer, perfectly played by IS Johar, a renowned indian comic actor who also appeared as a bedouin arab in Lawrence of Arabia
½ June 21, 2010
In "Northwest Frontier," it is 1905 and a rebellion is starting in northern India. In the nick of time, Captain Scott(Kenneth More) spirits six-year old Prince Kishan(Govind Raja Ross), who is seen as the hope of his people, away towards Delhi with the help of his governess Mrs. Catherine Wyatt(Lauren Bacall). They arrive in Haserabad just after the last train has left(I hate it when that happens). Getting out proves harder than getting in as a state of siege sets in. So, Scott orders Gupta(I.S. Johar) to ready an archaic train engine to try to break it.

"Northwest Frontier" is a rousing and suspenseful adventure film that starts in media res and only lets up for the occasional breath of air. Even with a familiar plot of disparate characters traveling together through dangerous territory, there is some intelligent conversation, even if the overall tone is not as enlightened as I would like. And somehow I just cannot buy Lauren Bacall trying to be demure.