Northwest Passage - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Northwest Passage Reviews

½ January 31, 2015
Simple story and mildly entertaining.
January 25, 2015
excellent historical drama of colonial America with Spencer Tracy, Robert Young and Walter Brennan showing their best characterizations
½ March 15, 2014
Dramatic at it's time, but has not aged well.
½ July 26, 2012
A well mounted production of the French Indian war is a good old fashioned Hollywood adventure story, but is unfortunately also an old fashioned racist Hollywood depiction of Native Americans, WHICH makes the film hard to watch with modern eyes. Still, despite many cringeworthy moments, Spencer Tracey is fine as the expedition leader along with the grand scale of the film and some good supporting performances also make it well worth watching.
July 16, 2012
It's actually kinda graphic and might be seen as offensive to a few. The movie plays more like something out of the 50s or early 60s. It is in color with better than average cinematography and kinda preachy and a little campy like films of those times are. It is pretty gritty compared to most, though, and tells of an interesting period in history that is not covered in pop culture much (though liberties are of course taken - the combat is poor and the scale of the indian battle unrealistically large, and the costuming is also bad). All in all, the movie keeps your attention and is basically enjoyable, though it is not exactly intellectual. Sort of like a popcorn movie in today's terms.
March 23, 2012
Great film and great fun. Well worth the two hours.
½ December 4, 2011
Northwest Passage is an exciting film. It is about two men who join Major Rogers' Rangers as they wipe out an Indian village but do not find the soldiers or supplies when they reach Fort Wentworth. Spencer Tracy and Robert Young give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written with plenty of adventure. King Vidor did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and history. Northwest Passage is a must see.
July 3, 2011
Great film and great fun. Well worth the two hours.
May 28, 2011
As I remember it this movie is totally AWESOME!
½ February 19, 2011
Pretty good film about the Major Rogers Rangers. The film start off a little slapstick but quickly progresses into an action adventure in the wilds. It was unsettling to hear the Indian stories , you know slaughtering woman and children while torturing the men to death after wards, playing ball with heads and stuff like that. Spencer Tracy did an all right job, not his finest performance but still a memorable one. Too bad the quality of the dvd was very poor, because this film deserves a decent transfer.
May 8, 2010
Watched it as a ikd, still watyching it as an ole guy - Great Movie, Great scenery, good story based in fact.
March 21, 2010
This movie suffers from what many movies from this time period suffer from. It really is aged and noticeably corny. The characters don't ring true at times, and it takes you out of the movie. There are some really effective action sequences and some witty back and forth banter, but this isn't blowing your mind.
½ February 5, 2010
Great old Hollywood style adventure film, rousing score and a terrific cast. Spencer Tracy and Walter Brennan stand out. Beautifully produced, excellent art direction and score. It's a bit long but the pacing is good enough to hold your interest.
½ February 5, 2010
jjnxn
January 6, 2009
Beautiful photograpy and robust performances.
½ December 16, 2008
Anytime I see this is coming on I have see it. I first saw it when I was about 9 and I just can't pass it up. It's addictive. I love Spencer Tracys speech (I think he says 'men...and men...' about 50 times), the loyalty portrayed, and the toughness and determination displayed.
October 2, 2008
Not terribly accurate historically but a great movie nonetheless. Tracy gives a great performance as the brave Robert Rogers. Robert YOung and Walter Brennan in great supporting roles. Saw this movie for the first time when I was around 10 and have loved it ever since.
September 24, 2008
Molto equilibrato: buona tensione, grandi paesaggi, ottimo Spencer Tracy. Violenza fin troppo realistica per i tempi nelle solite scene di massacri di nativi americani.