Northwest Passage - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Northwest Passage Reviews

½ June 23, 2008
This is a great adventure story, based on the first part of Kenneth Roberts's fine historical novel "Northwest Passage." Spencer Tracy and Robert Young do excellent jobs in the lead roles. The movie is refreshingly devoid of political correctness equivocation in its depiction of Rogers' Rangers attack on the St. Francis Abnakis during the French and Indian War. Well worth seeing!
½ June 8, 2008
Drags a bit and apparently was supposed to be part of a series of films so it just kinda ends.

Luckily, it's nice to look at, has a great battle scene and one character who literally eats the head of an Indian.
May 31, 2008
I've seen this classic film at least 20 times, possibly 25 times. It's not only Man vs. Man but especially Man vs. Nature in this account of a colonial raid on an Indian village in Canada during the French and Indian War. The Abenakis have been preying on the colonials for years, and now it's payback time.

The stars are Spencer Tracy, Walter Brennan and Robert Young, whose performance here makes up for the soppiness of his later turns withe "Father Knows Best" and "Marcus Welby, M.D."

The music by Oscar-winner (not for "Northwest Passage") Herbert Stothart is superb and stirring.

Favorite quotes:
Maj. Robert Rogers (Tracy): " See you at sundown, Harvard."
Hunk Marriner (Brennan): "I've been."

I saw "Northwest Passage" at least 10 times before watching a screening in at the University of Wisonsin in Madison in 1973 and discovering the movie is in deep and glorious Technicolor. My head almost exploded that night. It's a true classic.
March 25, 2008
Notorious frontier western, incredibly bloodthirsty for the time. Although propagandist and jingoistic in nature it's character portrayals are negative in the main - still for all it's misguided intentions it is a fantastic film.
January 29, 2008
Fucking epic movie. Great cinematography. Spencer Tracy, they don't build them like him anymore.
½ December 25, 2007
Spencer Tracy doesn't get much press these days, but he rocked in his time.
September 22, 2007
Extremely well done racist propaganda that justifies the genocide of the native Americans for the sake of the European expansion and subjugation in the Americas. The plot is built on a massace and a lie -- but the nationalistic verve is mesmerizing.
½ September 1, 2007
I vaguely recall seeing this movie as a youngster and being mesmerized by the adventure and wishing I could do something like joining Rogers Rangers and having fun adventures and fighting Indians... Oh how I've grown...

Watching this movie again today, I was shocked at how racial this movie is. The Indians are portrayed as lying, cheating, untrustworthy, murdering heathens. Never mind that we invaded their territory to start with. The saying 'the only good Indian is a dead Indian' could have easily been added as a secondary title.

Needless to say, the movie is tainted now from it's original showing in 1940. It's not surprising it's now shown much on TV anymore. The film isn't bad, Spencer Tracy is OK, and Robert Young is... well young.
August 19, 2007
A quality movie. Well paced, enjoyable, meaningful, and worthwhile.
½ June 22, 2007
Great show for it's time.