Norwegian Wood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Norwegian Wood Reviews

July 3, 2014
This adaptation made me so angry. I was originally excited to hear Norwegian Wood had a film based on it so went in expecting so much. And what it offered was very little; it felt pathetic, a waste of a golden opportunity. The only thing it had going for it was the acting as each character acted out their character to perfection and they also used original dialogue from the book which I did like. Other than that, the film kind of bored me. They basically left out everything half-interesting out of the novel, including everyone's backstories so the audience never really learn why they act as they do. I understand they can't include everything which just leads me to ask - why even bother making a film adaptation in the first place? Read the book instead and leave this film be, I cannot preach enough!
June 15, 2014
It's a great film. you must see it.
½ June 1, 2014
Laborious, but beautiful.
½ May 24, 2014
Norwegian Wood works its way slowly but persistently to the viewer's soul... If you have ever loved and lost, you will be able to fully appreciate the nuances of this moody piece.
March 14, 2014
It's not the book. It's something else.
March 10, 2014
nice to look at but slow and plodding doesnt really go anywhere
January 12, 2014
to translate a masterpiece writing isn't that easy, but almost,,,
January 4, 2014
This book is one of my favorite novels I've ever read. I adore every word. In truth, before seeing the film, I had heard most fans were disappointed...and I was definitely among them. I'll start with the good: the acting is superb as is the cinematography and scenery. The characters are played whole heatedly and in turn, there was still some magic in the film. The music was also lovely, however I wish so much that they would have put in the music Murakami talks about in the book. It would have added much more to the experience. Other than these few things, I have to say, I was very underwhelmed. I don't blame it all on the movie...it would have to be 5 hours long to fit the whole story. What was upsetting was which things they took out, changed, and left out. If I had never read the book, I'm pretty sure I would have had hardly any idea what was going on. It's like they took snippets of the novel and melded them together. The most upsetting were the scenes with Midori. She seemed like just another girl that he knew when in reality, her character is much deeper. Also Reiko. The way they portrayed her character at the end was so disappointing since they changed her reasoning and didn't go into her story in the middle of the film. It is so far less meaningless than it really is. The ending as well, the changes were unneeded and almost dumbed this down to just another sad love story, when in reality it's soooo much more. I adore the actors. They gave their hearts and souls and made the film moving enough, but I wish it would have been more thorough and everything I wanted instead of an altered clip show.
½ December 29, 2013
What is truly interesting about this movie adaptation is the fact that director Anh Hung Tran aims at making the characters as young as their age, regardless of what they go through and act like (or /don't act/ like). The cinematography is so stunningly beautiful that I hope prizes were received by the team. The cinematography + soundtrack work creates moments never to be forgotten, not to mention the cameras play. It all looks very different from Anh Hung Tran's The Vertical Ray of the Sun that I remember having watched some ten years ago: now it's less experimental and very serious, almost contemporary German cinema-like. But then there comes light. Shadowplays. All sorts of delight. :)

Now talking about the screenplay adaptation itself, well, it feels very very different from the book's pace, but that's exactly what I believe to be interesting about it. Why should someone try and mirror a book? Sometimes it's great - most of them, it's disappointing. Not in this one. Anh Hung Tran position characters like pins on a board and, just by doing this, you understand what's going on. Who's "using" who? - which, btw, seems to be the layer of meaning he's most concerned about putting on this beautiful haunting story.

It looks like one of those movies that a viewer who hadn't read the book will feel very lost. Not like in a "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" level (hahaha), but maybe something that a culture & habits veil makes hard to perceive broadly. But who isn't lost in this, I wonder.
November 24, 2013
Pretty, but not in any way as engaging as the novel.
October 17, 2013
I could not get into this movie at all - and I gave it over one hour, but it was just a little too much schmalz. I would have really liked to have subtitles for the demonstrating students as my Japanese is non-existent.
½ October 16, 2013
If you have read the book, you might be a "little" disappointed, but Ken'ichi Matsuyama acts like he's the real Toru Watanabe and makes this movie more challenging to watch.
October 15, 2013
Revisiting. Cozy up for a long, beautiful, gentle watch.
October 11, 2013
INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL cinematography. I liked it. but if you're not paying attention to every frame it moves so fast you miss too much.
September 20, 2013
"Norwegian Wood" es un filme japonés basado en la novela del autor Haruki Murakami. La película es definitivamente un cambio fresco en ciertos aspectos de lo antes visto en el cine Japonés. Si bien conserva ciertos lineamientos en la trama y resolución tradicionales en los filmes de corte romántico provenientes de ese país, en otros aspectos cambia bastante. El filme presenta elementos en la trama abiertamente sexuales, tanto en escenas como lenguaje y actitudes de los personajes que es impresionantemente maduro comparado a otros filmes anteriores de corte similar. La trama cuenta con la actuación de Kenichi Matsuyama (DeathNote Live Action) en el papel estelar, con un solido apoyo de las actrices Rinko Kikuchi (Pacific Rim , 47 Ronin) y Kiko Muzuhara. Además de destacadas actuaciones secundarias de Tetsuji Tamayami y Reika Kirishina. La selección de música tanto instrumental como con líricos es también un quiebre de lo antes visto en filmes similares y a la vez ayuda a construir la atmósfera de la cinta que se situa en los años 60s de Japón. Una fotografía impresionante con vibrantes colores hace que cada escena del filme sea meritoria de admirarse. Igualmente en ciertas escenas se muestra un despreocupado uso de cigarrillos que me parece consistente con la época que se presenta. Aunque el filme es lento y no es raro que a muchos no les resulte agradable la forma como se resuelve, considero un filme muy relevante de ver sobre todo para los interesados en ver uno de los ejemplos más recientes del nuevo cine japonés. Recomendada.
½ September 11, 2013
The cinematography and acting were splendid, but I don't know for some reason, it failed to evoke any feeling at all.
½ August 18, 2013
¿Cómo matar una excelente novela en la pantalla grande? Acá un ejemplo
August 11, 2013
I thought it was going to be better.
August 9, 2013
A fantastic, gorgeously filmed, slightly eerie romantic drama. A score by Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood didn't hurt either.
August 3, 2013
A beautiful dream-like sheen covers this romantic drama- a college student feels duty-bound to wallow in past tragedy yet is being pulled irresistibly into what could be a happy future. Plays as a"best of" visualization of Murakami's novel without the necessary details required to fully flesh out the characters, but it's cast so well and the actors are so intense and earnest that the lack of backstory is near forgivable.