Norwegian Wood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Norwegian Wood Reviews

½ December 29, 2013
What is truly interesting about this movie adaptation is the fact that director Anh Hung Tran aims at making the characters as young as their age, regardless of what they go through and act like (or /don't act/ like). The cinematography is so stunningly beautiful that I hope prizes were received by the team. The cinematography + soundtrack work creates moments never to be forgotten, not to mention the cameras play. It all looks very different from Anh Hung Tran's The Vertical Ray of the Sun that I remember having watched some ten years ago: now it's less experimental and very serious, almost contemporary German cinema-like. But then there comes light. Shadowplays. All sorts of delight. :)

Now talking about the screenplay adaptation itself, well, it feels very very different from the book's pace, but that's exactly what I believe to be interesting about it. Why should someone try and mirror a book? Sometimes it's great - most of them, it's disappointing. Not in this one. Anh Hung Tran position characters like pins on a board and, just by doing this, you understand what's going on. Who's "using" who? - which, btw, seems to be the layer of meaning he's most concerned about putting on this beautiful haunting story.

It looks like one of those movies that a viewer who hadn't read the book will feel very lost. Not like in a "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" level (hahaha), but maybe something that a culture & habits veil makes hard to perceive broadly. But who isn't lost in this, I wonder.
November 24, 2013
Pretty, but not in any way as engaging as the novel.
October 17, 2013
I could not get into this movie at all - and I gave it over one hour, but it was just a little too much schmalz. I would have really liked to have subtitles for the demonstrating students as my Japanese is non-existent.
½ October 16, 2013
If you have read the book, you might be a "little" disappointed, but Ken'ichi Matsuyama acts like he's the real Toru Watanabe and makes this movie more challenging to watch.
October 15, 2013
Revisiting. Cozy up for a long, beautiful, gentle watch.
October 11, 2013
INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL cinematography. I liked it. but if you're not paying attention to every frame it moves so fast you miss too much.
September 20, 2013
"Norwegian Wood" es un filme japonés basado en la novela del autor Haruki Murakami. La película es definitivamente un cambio fresco en ciertos aspectos de lo antes visto en el cine Japonés. Si bien conserva ciertos lineamientos en la trama y resolución tradicionales en los filmes de corte romántico provenientes de ese país, en otros aspectos cambia bastante. El filme presenta elementos en la trama abiertamente sexuales, tanto en escenas como lenguaje y actitudes de los personajes que es impresionantemente maduro comparado a otros filmes anteriores de corte similar. La trama cuenta con la actuación de Kenichi Matsuyama (DeathNote Live Action) en el papel estelar, con un solido apoyo de las actrices Rinko Kikuchi (Pacific Rim , 47 Ronin) y Kiko Muzuhara. Además de destacadas actuaciones secundarias de Tetsuji Tamayami y Reika Kirishina. La selección de música tanto instrumental como con líricos es también un quiebre de lo antes visto en filmes similares y a la vez ayuda a construir la atmósfera de la cinta que se situa en los años 60s de Japón. Una fotografía impresionante con vibrantes colores hace que cada escena del filme sea meritoria de admirarse. Igualmente en ciertas escenas se muestra un despreocupado uso de cigarrillos que me parece consistente con la época que se presenta. Aunque el filme es lento y no es raro que a muchos no les resulte agradable la forma como se resuelve, considero un filme muy relevante de ver sobre todo para los interesados en ver uno de los ejemplos más recientes del nuevo cine japonés. Recomendada.
½ September 11, 2013
The cinematography and acting were splendid, but I don't know for some reason, it failed to evoke any feeling at all.
½ August 18, 2013
¿Cómo matar una excelente novela en la pantalla grande? Acá un ejemplo
August 11, 2013
I thought it was going to be better.
August 9, 2013
A fantastic, gorgeously filmed, slightly eerie romantic drama. A score by Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood didn't hurt either.
August 3, 2013
A beautiful dream-like sheen covers this romantic drama- a college student feels duty-bound to wallow in past tragedy yet is being pulled irresistibly into what could be a happy future. Plays as a"best of" visualization of Murakami's novel without the necessary details required to fully flesh out the characters, but it's cast so well and the actors are so intense and earnest that the lack of backstory is near forgivable.
August 3, 2013
Beautiful. Nostalgic. Romantic. Gloom.
July 29, 2013
I can't lie. I was rather bored half the time I was watching it and the story seemed to go nowhere anytime soon, but it still packs an emotional punch due to the strained relationship between the leads and it's filled with beautiful shots of scenery that help bring out even more emotions.
July 25, 2013
hunting other Mako Mori movies heheheheh
½ July 24, 2013
Some people said that the director didn't put much effort as he didn't interpret anything but summarizing the story. Nonetheless, the adaptation actually made me feel young. I think I can understand why Japanese young adults are so in love with the novel.
½ July 19, 2013
i dont thing the movie its better than book,
July 15, 2013
People who have read the book find it hard to fully appreciate this film, but if you take it simply as it comes, it is beautiful, disturbing, evocative, subtle and engaging. A masterpiece.
July 13, 2013
The movie could not mirror what really happened in the book. Restricting itself to the time of 120 minutes, the director forces himself to describe the story flustered and is unable to lighten the dark sensitive corners of the complicated relation between the characters. On the other hand, the movie has a great soundtrack, thanks to Johnny Greenwood and nice shots and cuts taking place in scenery locations.
½ June 1, 2013
i picked this movie b/c it is based on the best-selling novel by Murakami Hariki. i thought it would be a cute love story b/c of the lovely poster. but no, it was like a sense of loss & emptiness! at least, i enjoyed the Beatles music and kono majimena otoko(^^) Kenichi Matsuyama is cute to see in the movie. but my favorite actor is still Leehom Wang! go Leehom! :)