Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror (Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens) (Nosferatu the Vampire) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror (Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens) (Nosferatu the Vampire) Reviews

September 10, 2015
Classic horror, the first vampire film.
August 23, 2015
There's a significant difference between retelling a classic and reinventing a legend. What started as a copyright loophole became not one of the scariest films in history, but one of the most haunting. It's a film that is never easily forgotten, as is a few of the later Dracula adaptations. Murneau's expertly paced direction in conjunction with Max Schreck's utter embodiment of the human psyche's deepest fears in a character instills Nosferatu into the history pages as the ground zero of horror film.
August 5, 2015
Deserves acclaim for its place in film history, but it didn't personally work for me. Fantastic, iconic imagery, but not the best storytelling. The vampire's time on the ship takes up a half hour of the limited running time of the movie, and kills any momentum of the earlier scenes. It also doesn't help, due to limits in film technology at the time, for being such a dark film, it's actually kind of bathed in light. The "night time" scenes are too ridiculous to be believable. An important work of silent cinema to be sure, but not one that greatly worked for me.
July 26, 2015
One of the finest of the silent era, Nosferatu remains an influence to the horror genre thanks to its gritty feel and creepy performance by Max Schreck that still delivers some chills even after many years!!!
July 26, 2015
The silent era's most memorable horror film, and the grandfather of the cinematic vampire genre. German expressionist director F.W. Murnau's brilliantly eerie, imaginative masterpiece, which tells the tale of a master vampire named Count Orlok, played sensationally by Max Schreck, who achieves screen immortally with his unforgettable turn here, and adds his own brand of vampiric perversity. He wants to purchase an isolated house, so he sends for an estate agent from Germany to his castle in Transylvania to make a deal. When the agent arrives and sells the house to the Count, he notices that he begins to feel uneasy, and strange occurrences start to happen, the agent becomes trapped in the castle, while the count hiding in a shipment of Coffins, makes his way to Germany where causes many deaths, which is blamed on a plague. Well-crafted, and directed by Murnau, with superb makeup by Albin Grau, who gives Schreck his fearsome features which includes, rat's teeth, bat ears, claw-like hands, bulging eyes and a death-like ghostly pallor. This inspired, superbly atmospheric motion picture is an unauthorized adaptation of Brams Stoker's "Dracula," with names and other details changed, it remains a true horror classic.
½ July 7, 2015
Although not impressive by today's standards this film still holds up and for good reason.
July 1, 2015
I used to be scared by his face as a kid. I grew out of that and now I realize that its a great movie and its legitimately creepy, especially for the time
June 18, 2015
An eerie 1922 silent black and white film that has the first presence of Dracula. I am a huge modern special effects person, but this movie's eeriness seems to radiate from its flickering black and white image. At first I wasn't to sure if I could enjoy it being a silent film, but I watched it all the way through with interest. A must watch for any huge movie fan, even if your thing isn't Dracula.
June 3, 2015
beats the hell out of alot of movies nowadays
May 18, 2015
The creepiest silent film I have ever seen.
May 13, 2015
One of the best horror movie of all time...
F.w Murnau created the gothic atmosphere in a movie for the first time in 1922.
The technical innovations invented for the movie are now the basis of special effects. The great actor Max Shreck plays the vampire that inspired most of the vampire movies that come after.
Nosferatu the vampire is now an emblematic figure in horror cinema.
May 10, 2015
Shrek's terrifying disposition as Nosferatu adds a whole new layer of horror. Murnau is in top form as always. The visuals and tight structure are to be revered and are frequently mimicked in modern horror with good reason.
March 26, 2015
A huge leap forward for Murnau, compared to "The Haunted Castle". Nosferatu based on Bram Stoker's "Dracula" has everything. The fact that its a 1922 release also increasing the effect on this outstanding horrifying movie. The visuals are very effective with its shadow usage and the characters are carefully dressed. This movie is pure cvlt a such a impact of inspiration that's impossible to measure. Worth mentioning aswell is the scenery, presenting the desolate Carpathian landscape, which is fueling the atmosphere even more.
½ March 25, 2015
Nosferatu is a 1922 German film directed by F.W. Murnau, written by Henrik Galeen, and starring Max Schreck, Gustav von Wangenheim, and Greta Schr÷der.

Liked it, didn't love it. There are so many times during horror films when I think of a smarter plan of action than the characters did, and this movie was just the same.áI totally understand that it is a classic, and it definitely deserves to be. It's important to note the time this movie came from while critiquing it. Things in the film that may seem amateur now were ground-breaking back then.
The film unfolded in a somewhat confusing manner. Something I've noticed about watching these earlier films is that the pacing is strange. It will be moving incredibly slow and/or including scenes that weren't really necessary, and then things that should take a long time happen in a snap with no explanation. I know that's vague but when watching, be prepared for seemingly random behavior stemming from somewhat ambiguous motives. I thought I was having difficulty suspending disbelief, but you can only blame it on that so many times before you have to accept that the film just isn't filling in all the blanks.
It was successful in creeping me out, that's for sure. Interesting enough but I did find myself ready for it to be over a while before it actually was. It has awesome special effects for 1922. There were interesting, creative angles. It is a classic for a reason, definitely, and I'll recommend it, I guess.

Bechdel test: 0/1
Did not pass. Only one female character and her sole reason for existence was to worry about her husband and be in utter despair.

Did I enjoy it? 1/1
Do I ever want to see it again? I would watch it again, yes.

Do I ever want to include it in my own collection? It's already included but I don't think I would intend to buy it if it wasn't.

Bye love you
-Jessie Carlson
March 19, 2015
All modern vampire/cult films owe this movie a debt of gratitude. "Nosferatu" is eerie, gothic inspired masterpiece with a great performance from Max Shrek.
March 18, 2015
The original dracula and the film that inspired horror movies to come. Wasn't very scary. It was fun how they kept using the same music over and over. only had about 5 pieces of music as it was a silent movie
½ March 15, 2015
Nosferatu is an incredible film. It is about Count Orlok who expresses interest in a new residence and real estate agent Hutter's wife. Max Schreck and Greta Schroder give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. F.W. Murnau did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the horror and mystery. Nosferatu is a must see.
February 27, 2015
The story behind the movie alone is enough to make it a classic.
½ February 17, 2015
Sorry, not as scary as "The Exorcist" or the 1933 Dracula with Bela Lagosi.