Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror (Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens) (Nosferatu the Vampire) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror (Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens) (Nosferatu the Vampire) Reviews

February 5, 2015
Stephanie Meyer needs to watch this!!
½ January 27, 2015
Wonderful movie. Nosferatu was one of the first adaptations of Dracula, and while the names have changed, the story hasn't much. Orlock is truly creepy, and the story is so well done.

The symphony score is marvelous too. Really gives the story that extra gravitas.
½ January 17, 2015
The actor who played Count Orlock gave a wonderfully creepy performance. I wish the film featured more of him.
January 13, 2015
Absolutely tremendous. I watched a 2006 reconstruction of the movie on Netflix with musical direction reconstructed from the original compositions. The print is just gorgeous. The movie itself is so well made, from the cinematography to the lighting. I particularly loved the incredible vistas, doorways and thresholds. Also incredible is the editing, including a frantic cutting back and forth between scenes of Hutter trying to get home before the evil force of nature Nosferatu arrives.

Hutter, Jonathan Harker by another name, of course, is tremendously fun. I loved his joy when he woke up in the morning, but he was also great as a frantic husband trying to get home to his wife. Ellen is an incredible hero, and her dramatic gesturing is a wonder to behold.

Then there is Max Schreck as Nosferatu. By today's standards, his vampire articulations and antics might seem silly, but it is easy enough to get into the spirit of German film in the 1920s and witness just how terrifying this creature is. I think what really helped me to get into the mood was how the filmmaker depicted Nosferatu like a force of nature, his coming heralded by premonition, atmospherics, and rats. Lots of rats.

The gestures might be less dramatic, the gore more colorful and explicit, but few horror films today reach the lofty pinnacle set by F.W. Murnau's amazing Nosferatu. I highly recommend this masterpiece.
December 26, 2014
Amazingly eerie and frighteningly alive despite the limitations of this silent era of filming. I am a lover of all things horror, and this movie fit the bill very well. The creepiness of Nosferatu still works even in 2014, where there is a high standard for horror.
November 18, 2014
some amazing horror images. but lacking in some areas
November 11, 2014
German expretionism at its best.
November 9, 2014
Probably my favorite adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula...even if it deviates from the story and all the character names are changed. It may be silent, but it's atmosphere and imagery is top notch...and Max Schreck is fantastic and creepy as Count Orlok. One of the first Vampire films is still one of the finest, of both Vampire based cinema and horror in general.
November 6, 2014
Okay, here's the thing, this movie isn't amazing. But it's good enough get a 5 star rating. Some say this is the best horror film of all time, yeah that's a a definite no, I can name like 20 horror films such as The Birds which is much better than this. The reason it is so good is accredited to the fact that this is an unauthorized and the original version of the story of Dracula. In this story, vampires are apparently immobile to the sun and Dracula doesn't bother to pay attention to the time. In this story some guy gets an invitation to buy a deserted house across the street from Dracula' unofficial assistant who takes the hit as the reason for a lot of the mishappenings in time.

Granted he caused a great deal of them, but not everything. He did lead the rat plague over the sea with a ship. The cops are also dumb because there was no real security in the prison system back then. Anyway, the plot is pretty much lackluster and moot but it's still a fun silent film to watch, the color filters get really annoying but help go tell the difference between day and night. Everyone horror fan or just movie person should watch this film, it's an important piece of history. A good remake before 1970 would have been solid but none has ever been made. Even though the name of the characters was changed from the book, the director still got she'd and only per chance luck, one copy of the film was saved.
November 3, 2014
90+ years old and still the best version of *coughs* Dracula to date - startling use of shadows and negative photography, and Max Shrek is still bloody terrifying!
½ November 2, 2014
better than I expected, but still a little slow
November 1, 2014
Celebrated German director FW Murnau plundered Bram Stoker's Dracula without permission for this 1922 ground-breaker, and was successfully sued by Stoker's wife - all prints were ordered to be destroyed, but a few survived. The result is the most frightening incarnation of the vampire count in horror history. With his grasping claws, pointed fangs, bald pate and white cadaverous features, Count Orlock, played by the hideous Max Schreck, creeps through Murnau's archetypal silent imagery with a mesmerising authority that retains a surprising amount of tension. The chilling finale, highlighted by Schreck's terrifying shadow outside his victim's door (and enhanced by Hammer composer James Bernard's new, specially commissioned score for the restored print) is one of the classic sequences in the genre and packs a powerful punch even by today's standards.
October 31, 2014
very cool to see something that old.
½ October 27, 2014
murnau's wonderful vamp tale
October 22, 2014
Wonderfully acted and hauntingly shot, Murnau's horror epic still retains its power nearly 100 years (!) after it was made. Hilariously, considering the circumstances under which it was made, it also might be the best film adaption of "Dracula" to date.
October 15, 2014

Original rating: 5-13-2012. 6/10
October 8, 2014
"Nosferatu" es una admirable obra maestra del cine mudo que hasta ahora demuestra el alcance de su influencia en el cine, y gracias a la poderosa actuacin de Max Shrek, el vampiro ms diferente y original de todos, la pelcula logra erizar la piel de la audiencia con su simple presencia en pantalla.
½ October 6, 2014
Day #4: Nosferatu
What a classic! It's a silent film full of wonderful visuals and a compelling story. #31DaysofHalloween
½ October 3, 2014
Admittedly, silent films are not my cup of tea, but I give credit to Max Schreck for being every bit as creepy and imposing as Count Orlock, and I appreciate the iconic imagery associated with this movie and how it influenced the films that followed in the horror genre.