Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror (Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens) (Nosferatu the Vampire) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nosferatu, a Symphony of Horror (Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens) (Nosferatu the Vampire) Reviews

June 3, 2015
beats the hell out of alot of movies nowadays
May 18, 2015
The creepiest silent film I have ever seen.
May 13, 2015
One of the best horror movie of all time...
F.w Murnau created the gothic atmosphere in a movie for the first time in 1922.
The technical innovations invented for the movie are now the basis of special effects. The great actor Max Shreck plays the vampire that inspired most of the vampire movies that come after.
Nosferatu the vampire is now an emblematic figure in horror cinema.
May 10, 2015
Shrek's terrifying disposition as Nosferatu adds a whole new layer of horror. Murnau is in top form as always. The visuals and tight structure are to be revered and are frequently mimicked in modern horror with good reason.
March 26, 2015
A huge leap forward for Murnau, compared to "The Haunted Castle". Nosferatu based on Bram Stoker's "Dracula" has everything. The fact that its a 1922 release also increasing the effect on this outstanding horrifying movie. The visuals are very effective with its shadow usage and the characters are carefully dressed. This movie is pure cvlt a such a impact of inspiration that's impossible to measure. Worth mentioning aswell is the scenery, presenting the desolate Carpathian landscape, which is fueling the atmosphere even more.
½ March 25, 2015
Nosferatu is a 1922 German film directed by F.W. Murnau, written by Henrik Galeen, and starring Max Schreck, Gustav von Wangenheim, and Greta Schr÷der.

Liked it, didn't love it. There are so many times during horror films when I think of a smarter plan of action than the characters did, and this movie was just the same.áI totally understand that it is a classic, and it definitely deserves to be. It's important to note the time this movie came from while critiquing it. Things in the film that may seem amateur now were ground-breaking back then.
The film unfolded in a somewhat confusing manner. Something I've noticed about watching these earlier films is that the pacing is strange. It will be moving incredibly slow and/or including scenes that weren't really necessary, and then things that should take a long time happen in a snap with no explanation. I know that's vague but when watching, be prepared for seemingly random behavior stemming from somewhat ambiguous motives. I thought I was having difficulty suspending disbelief, but you can only blame it on that so many times before you have to accept that the film just isn't filling in all the blanks.
It was successful in creeping me out, that's for sure. Interesting enough but I did find myself ready for it to be over a while before it actually was. It has awesome special effects for 1922. There were interesting, creative angles. It is a classic for a reason, definitely, and I'll recommend it, I guess.

Bechdel test: 0/1
Did not pass. Only one female character and her sole reason for existence was to worry about her husband and be in utter despair.

Did I enjoy it? 1/1
Do I ever want to see it again? I would watch it again, yes.

Do I ever want to include it in my own collection? It's already included but I don't think I would intend to buy it if it wasn't.

7/10
Bye love you
-Jessie Carlson
March 19, 2015
All modern vampire/cult films owe this movie a debt of gratitude. "Nosferatu" is eerie, gothic inspired masterpiece with a great performance from Max Shrek.
March 18, 2015
The original dracula and the film that inspired horror movies to come. Wasn't very scary. It was fun how they kept using the same music over and over. only had about 5 pieces of music as it was a silent movie
½ March 15, 2015
Nosferatu is an incredible film. It is about Count Orlok who expresses interest in a new residence and real estate agent Hutter's wife. Max Schreck and Greta Schroder give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. F.W. Murnau did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the horror and mystery. Nosferatu is a must see.
February 27, 2015
The story behind the movie alone is enough to make it a classic.
½ February 17, 2015
Sorry, not as scary as "The Exorcist" or the 1933 Dracula with Bela Lagosi.
February 5, 2015
Stephanie Meyer needs to watch this!!
½ January 27, 2015
Wonderful movie. Nosferatu was one of the first adaptations of Dracula, and while the names have changed, the story hasn't much. Orlock is truly creepy, and the story is so well done.

The symphony score is marvelous too. Really gives the story that extra gravitas.
½ January 17, 2015
The actor who played Count Orlock gave a wonderfully creepy performance. I wish the film featured more of him.
January 13, 2015
Absolutely tremendous. I watched a 2006 reconstruction of the movie on Netflix with musical direction reconstructed from the original compositions. The print is just gorgeous. The movie itself is so well made, from the cinematography to the lighting. I particularly loved the incredible vistas, doorways and thresholds. Also incredible is the editing, including a frantic cutting back and forth between scenes of Hutter trying to get home before the evil force of nature Nosferatu arrives.

Hutter, Jonathan Harker by another name, of course, is tremendously fun. I loved his joy when he woke up in the morning, but he was also great as a frantic husband trying to get home to his wife. Ellen is an incredible hero, and her dramatic gesturing is a wonder to behold.

Then there is Max Schreck as Nosferatu. By today's standards, his vampire articulations and antics might seem silly, but it is easy enough to get into the spirit of German film in the 1920s and witness just how terrifying this creature is. I think what really helped me to get into the mood was how the filmmaker depicted Nosferatu like a force of nature, his coming heralded by premonition, atmospherics, and rats. Lots of rats.

The gestures might be less dramatic, the gore more colorful and explicit, but few horror films today reach the lofty pinnacle set by F.W. Murnau's amazing Nosferatu. I highly recommend this masterpiece.
December 26, 2014
Amazingly eerie and frighteningly alive despite the limitations of this silent era of filming. I am a lover of all things horror, and this movie fit the bill very well. The creepiness of Nosferatu still works even in 2014, where there is a high standard for horror.
November 18, 2014
some amazing horror images. but lacking in some areas
November 11, 2014
German expretionism at its best.
November 9, 2014
Probably my favorite adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula...even if it deviates from the story and all the character names are changed. It may be silent, but it's atmosphere and imagery is top notch...and Max Schreck is fantastic and creepy as Count Orlok. One of the first Vampire films is still one of the finest, of both Vampire based cinema and horror in general.
November 6, 2014
Okay, here's the thing, this movie isn't amazing. But it's good enough get a 5 star rating. Some say this is the best horror film of all time, yeah that's a a definite no, I can name like 20 horror films such as The Birds which is much better than this. The reason it is so good is accredited to the fact that this is an unauthorized and the original version of the story of Dracula. In this story, vampires are apparently immobile to the sun and Dracula doesn't bother to pay attention to the time. In this story some guy gets an invitation to buy a deserted house across the street from Dracula' unofficial assistant who takes the hit as the reason for a lot of the mishappenings in time.

Granted he caused a great deal of them, but not everything. He did lead the rat plague over the sea with a ship. The cops are also dumb because there was no real security in the prison system back then. Anyway, the plot is pretty much lackluster and moot but it's still a fun silent film to watch, the color filters get really annoying but help go tell the difference between day and night. Everyone horror fan or just movie person should watch this film, it's an important piece of history. A good remake before 1970 would have been solid but none has ever been made. Even though the name of the characters was changed from the book, the director still got she'd and only per chance luck, one copy of the film was saved.