Nostalgia for the Light - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nostalgia for the Light Reviews

½ June 7, 2016
mysterious and thoughtful, but too drawn out IMO.
also see "mother's of the disappeared" by U2
February 11, 2016
There are very few truly poignant and beautiful things in this world. This is one of them.
December 17, 2015
A beautiful, contemplative and deeply poetic exploration of the past, in which Guzmán draws an intelligent parallel between our search for the origins of the universe through science and our general tendency to ignore our recent History, especially a chapter that should never be forgotten.
½ November 21, 2015
Well aware that I'm in the minority here, but I hated nearly every minute of this one. I wouldn't suggest that the search for the remains of the disappeared is an uninteresting subject, but I found the way it was approached here to be deeply and profoundly irritating. The coincidental connection to astronomy is treated as if it is somehow profound. It's not.
½ July 24, 2014
A look into deep space for the grieving heart, a view of the wasteland for the mind that seeks knowledge - each would find them devoid of meaning until each would find what they have been missing. Nostalgia for the Light is an ambitious yet passive crossroads of seemingly parallel worlds, featuring simple imagery and scarce dialogue to describe the nature of all existence and the beauty therein.
½ July 3, 2014
Interesante documental de Patricio Guzmán, quien nos muestra cómo, en el desierto de atacama, se viven 2 realidades totalmente opuestas. Mientras los astronautas hacen todo por descubrir nuestro pasado más remoto, Chile, en cambio, hace todo lo posible para esconder nuestro pasado cercano: la herencia de la dictadura. Hermosas imágenes, hermosa música de Miranda & Tobar, en un documental muy recomendable, al que sólo debo criticar por buscar conexiones muy remotas por momentos.
June 19, 2014
This documentary has a very strange mix of the astronomical history of Chile alongside its late 20th century atrocities inflicted by the Pinochet regime on its own people, however its interwoven well as a story.
June 13, 2014
Breathtakingly beautiful but also heartbreakingly sad.
May 25, 2014
Interesante semi-documental que narra como el Desierto de Atacama sirve de ventana al infinito y escenario de tragedias
½ March 1, 2014
Awsome documentary !
Sky & sand...
February 16, 2014
brava muy muy brava.... en todo sentido desde afuera hasta adentro
February 15, 2014
Boring film that abuses people's interest in astronomy, the Atacama and archaeology to warm up resentments against the Chilean right. Sorry guys, your "movie info" got me into seeing this and now you've got to face the truth.
January 15, 2014
i didn't knew about all that things , and i m sure a lot of people dont know. shocking and brilliant !
November 12, 2013
Extremely skilful and powerful documentary. Images are presented slowly and silently for long periods, allowing you to question what you are seeing. As the human story unfolds, what began as unbearably beautiful shots of space and landscape become plain unbearable. And yet it does not leave you despairing but very reflective; I sat in silence for some time.
½ September 28, 2013
I wasn't expecting this... Nostalgia for the Light is one of the most beautiful and heart-wrenching films I've ever seen. In an incredibly beautiful way, it shows just how brutal Pinochet regime was.
September 15, 2013
excelente! me encanto, un documental excelente!
August 25, 2013
I'm a bit confused. I had this recommended to me and I saw it high up on a list of the greatest films ever made. I have been to an observatory in the Atacama desert a few years ago and I have an awareness of the history of Chile, yet this film says nothing to me. I have just spent two hours waiting to be told something interesting and it didn't come. The best I can say about this is that it has some nice pictures of some stars in it. It is very slow and boring. I think it is somebodies attempt to draw similarities between the stars and the Chileans who died at the hands of Pinochet and the people looking for answers with both. There you go, I've just summed up this film in a sentance, this should not be possible with good films.
July 28, 2013
Incredible masterpiece. It was totally unexpected. I thought that it will be a documentary about astronomers but it's so much much more. Very cleverly built. It really made me rethink the notion of "past".
½ July 15, 2013
Chilean filmmaker Patricio Guzman's 'Nostalgie de la Luz' (Nostalgia for the Light) is a good example of the importance of checking the listings properly before you watch. As a tale of the plight of those whose families were torn asunder by the legendary cruelty of the hateful Pinochet regime, which tortured at least 30,000 Chileans and 'disappeared' - that is, murdered, many thousands more, Nostalgie is a poignant, affecting tale. The sight of now-wizened elderly ladies scrabbling amongst the parched hardtop deserts of Atacama, with the horizon stretching to the end of the earth as they search and search for some trace of their loved ones, is a powerful and lingering image. Much of the photography at high altitudes amongst the astronomical telescopes that flock to the transparent skies of Atacama is beautiful too.

But in telling a story that is central to understanding modern Chile, Guzman fails to show a similar interest in the fascinating astronomical world he is granted access to. Instead, we are treated to pretty pictures of stars, and talking heads of astronomers telling us what they *feel* about things - the meaning of life, the souls of the stolen generation - rather than what they actually *know* about things. The effects of Chile's hated junta are perhaps still not talked about enough in that country, with people urged to forget and forgive despite the heinous crimes perpetrated there. But that is no excuse to make such a lightweight film about another intriguing topic - that of the exploration of the cosmos at the heart of the bleak, majestic Atacama.
June 16, 2013