Nostalgia for the Light - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nostalgia for the Light Reviews

May 19, 2017
Patricio Guzmán has woven a beautiful documentary from the personal quests of Chilean people seeking to locate the remains of their loved ones in the desert where dictator Augusto Pincoche banished them. These themes work perfectly against the backdrop of man's quest for the stars and the high visibility of the night sky from this perspective.
½ March 31, 2017
At its worst this is a tedious attempt to stretch a tendentious link between astronomy and the disappeared of Chile. At it's best it is a great reminder of the vastness of the universe and how we are all products of the universe's component parts. Has a powerful ability to remind you of dust to dust. It also acts as a great testament to the memory of the disappeared and the sheer terror and wickedness of the Pinochet regime. My rating is a bit harsh maybe but it felt drawn out and boring for too much of the film. Could have wiped half an hour from this documentary without losing too much.
December 20, 2016
A beautiful, contemplative and deeply poetic exploration of the past in which Guzmán draws an intelligent parallel between our search for the origins of the universe through science and our general tendency to ignore our recent history, especially a chapter that should never be forgotten.
December 10, 2016
A beautiful blend of earthly and celestial elements. Someone could argue that it's difficult to cover both successfully but that's not the point here. Its style seems to be more poetic than political.
October 13, 2016
Patricio Guzman have been making films with incredible depth over the course of three decades. I have seen his incredible capacity to tell stories: full of pain, full of humanity and poetry but with nostalgia for the light I have discovered his incredible capacity to intertwine all of those elements to ultimately rise the great question of our own existence. Is a rare piece of art that explores the endless searches of humanity, in a hostile world, in an unknown universe, but with the definitive certain that the human race have always wondered for its porpoise every time it looks at the sky.
½ June 7, 2016
mysterious and thoughtful, but too drawn out IMO.
also see "mother's of the disappeared" by U2
February 11, 2016
There are very few truly poignant and beautiful things in this world. This is one of them.
½ November 21, 2015
Well aware that I'm in the minority here, but I hated nearly every minute of this one. I wouldn't suggest that the search for the remains of the disappeared is an uninteresting subject, but I found the way it was approached here to be deeply and profoundly irritating. The coincidental connection to astronomy is treated as if it is somehow profound. It's not.
½ July 24, 2014
A look into deep space for the grieving heart, a view of the wasteland for the mind that seeks knowledge - each would find them devoid of meaning until each would find what they have been missing. Nostalgia for the Light is an ambitious yet passive crossroads of seemingly parallel worlds, featuring simple imagery and scarce dialogue to describe the nature of all existence and the beauty therein.
½ July 3, 2014
Interesante documental de Patricio Guzmán, quien nos muestra cómo, en el desierto de atacama, se viven 2 realidades totalmente opuestas. Mientras los astronautas hacen todo por descubrir nuestro pasado más remoto, Chile, en cambio, hace todo lo posible para esconder nuestro pasado cercano: la herencia de la dictadura. Hermosas imágenes, hermosa música de Miranda & Tobar, en un documental muy recomendable, al que sólo debo criticar por buscar conexiones muy remotas por momentos.
June 19, 2014
This documentary has a very strange mix of the astronomical history of Chile alongside its late 20th century atrocities inflicted by the Pinochet regime on its own people, however its interwoven well as a story.
June 13, 2014
Breathtakingly beautiful but also heartbreakingly sad.
May 25, 2014
Interesante semi-documental que narra como el Desierto de Atacama sirve de ventana al infinito y escenario de tragedias
½ March 1, 2014
Awsome documentary !
Sky & sand...
February 16, 2014
brava muy muy brava.... en todo sentido desde afuera hasta adentro
February 15, 2014
Boring film that abuses people's interest in astronomy, the Atacama and archaeology to warm up resentments against the Chilean right. Sorry guys, your "movie info" got me into seeing this and now you've got to face the truth.
January 15, 2014
i didn't knew about all that things , and i m sure a lot of people dont know. shocking and brilliant !
November 12, 2013
Extremely skilful and powerful documentary. Images are presented slowly and silently for long periods, allowing you to question what you are seeing. As the human story unfolds, what began as unbearably beautiful shots of space and landscape become plain unbearable. And yet it does not leave you despairing but very reflective; I sat in silence for some time.
½ September 28, 2013
I wasn't expecting this... Nostalgia for the Light is one of the most beautiful and heart-wrenching films I've ever seen. In an incredibly beautiful way, it shows just how brutal Pinochet regime was.
September 15, 2013
excelente! me encanto, un documental excelente!