Not Fade Away - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Not Fade Away Reviews

½ June 3, 2016
Didn't really leave a strong impression on me one way or the other. It sort of meanders about without purpose, which I can respect as a style if there's interesting characters to observe along the way, but there weren't. Other than the fact that this band isn't successful, it really doesn't seem that different from any other story of this type. It doesn't provide anything that new, and it's just not that interesting. I didn't hate it, it was pleasant enough and had its share of genuine human moments, but I can't think of anything that made it stand out. I ultimately broke even on my trade here.
August 18, 2015
Episodic comedy-drama is occasionally touching.
½ July 20, 2015
I'm pretty sure the studio was like "David Chase? You mean the guy who created the Sopranos? And Tony Soprano is actually in the movie playing essentially the same character (minus the mob ties)? Absolutely. You've got your greenlight." Little did he know that means an amazing soundtrack without much else going on to drive the film. More than anything else this movie reminds me that though the man is gone, the character will live on forever and that it's time to rewatch the Sopranos again. This movie also introduced me to Bella Heathcote who is a spitting image for "Rollergirl" age Heather Graham. I'll have to remember to Google Image Search for "Bella Heathcote Nude."
February 23, 2015
I was an extra in this movie lol
September 1, 2014
I'm a lover for the 60's. The culture, music, movies, everything. It's the decade I would of wanted to grow up in as a teenager to an adult. This movie really brings you to the 60's. Although clichà (C), the acting is decent, and the soundtrack is great.
August 11, 2014
I watched this movie purely because it was the product of David Chase, the man who created and oversaw and/or wrote every episode of The Sopranos. He had his main man from that show, James Gandolfini, play a role here as well. This movie is really one man's love letter to the 60's and the rock movement of that era. That is all well and good and I, especially, love that era myself. But this doesn't make for a very entertaining affair... It follows some kids who try to start a band after falling in love with the Rolling Stones. Thats about it.... its not based off of real people or a real band... it takes place in New Jersey (like The Sopranos) and is probably more autobiographical than it should be... I plodded and pushed through the movie, losing interest about halfway through... but I had to finish - I freaking paid for it (Redbox). And boy did I pay for it... At least the soundtrack was good. I would give it a lower rating, but the soundtrack and the beauty of the portrayal of that period is something special - as are the performances of the young, unknown cast members and Gandolfini.

The most amusing part and the one you'll either love or hate is at the very end. A minor character who it turns out was narrating the whole time shows up out of nowhere, breaks the fourth wall, and then does a dance to basically "play us out" with a song... Its unexpected, ludicrous, brave, and sexier than it should be - maybe its just symbolic of the times... those times... :)
July 25, 2014
It's incredible just how trite and boring the whole thing is that it goes to the lengths of an era-defining, bluntly told message to distinguish it from the pack of other movies like it. Thankfully it's an interesting failure because of this, and the performances make it watchable.
½ July 16, 2014
Nothing particularly interesting happens over the course of this movie. You can tell that David Chase's passion is infused within every scene, which keeps it afloat, barely.
June 25, 2014
Great potential but horrible ending
½ May 26, 2014
Wow! Just awful. One of those two-hours-I'll never-get-back movies. I'm guessing that this film is born from the nostalgia of "The Sopranos" writer-director David Chase. But, the movie just zig zags its way back and forth between the saga of a band that doesn't make the big time and family strife. The production values are very good, but Chase's writing and directing are too scatter shot. Plus, the irritating narrator chick and the WTF ending seal the deal.
May 2, 2014
Coming of age, rock n' roll, a fantastic underrated flick....
March 26, 2014
I really miss James Gandolfini...
February 23, 2014
Terrible. Gandolfini can't save this POS. The story is a zero. Nothing happens, and I did not give a shit about any of the characters. Another movie about 60s, just what the world Needed. Cliches abound in this summer of love stinker.
February 23, 2014
This could have been great, but, despite the awesome soundtrack, it was mostly boring. Basically, I spent the entire movie either bopping back and forth to the music, or waiting for the next tune so I could get excited again. Some of the acting was pretty wooden, but mostly, I think it was just frustrating to see so many bad decisions and so many people being dicks to other people. Watch it for the music and you'll be good. The original song, "The Twylight Zones - The St. Valentine's Day Massacre" is awesome IMNSHO.
½ February 7, 2014
Loved the story line and characters. So good to see Gandolfini again.
January 26, 2014
The movie poster or DVD cover quoted a review saying this movie was "A love letter to rock and roll." That seems like an adequate summary of the movie, with meanderings and musings through characters growing up in the time of the birth of the Beatles and the Stones.
½ January 10, 2014

"Real life is too much as it seems"-Pat (James Gandolfini)
January 9, 2014
A somewhat admirable effort on the part of David Chase to relay his experiences and shortcomings within that time period to the viewer. It also has one of the worst endings I have ever seen.