Not Fade Away - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Not Fade Away Reviews

½ January 1, 2014
I liked how this showed a less glamorous and more realistic side of being in a band in the 60s...most movies are always giving us this fantasy of success even if its a made up band (i'm looking at you "That thing you do) oh,and i have to say,We really need more David Chase stuff out there!
½ December 26, 2013
This is a story that through heatbreak, aspirations, and prolific failures could've made a gripping film and possibly an emotional one. The downside is through Chase's direction does the film feel sterile and ill-equipped. He doesn't seem to possess any form of relation or personal resonance with his characters, and this awkward coldness halts the film's ability to allow its audience to admire if even differentiate the teenagers the sixties was known to birth.
½ December 22, 2013
Some really nice performances and amazing music. I love films about longing & the accompanying sadness. Despite all the noise to the contrary, I didn't mind the ending.
½ December 10, 2013
Though Chase rehashes old issues tackled by The Sopranos, this is a heartfelt and analytical profession of love for Rock and Roll
½ December 3, 2013
I'm surprised how this apparently was David Chase's passion project after doing The Sopranos; this is a story we've seen dozens of times in other movies, and nothing really stands out, even though this does feel like a very personal project for Chase. The problem is that he's about 30 years too late to make any of this feel fresh or original. I think the problem is that Chase is writing from a very nostalgic point of his own life, but is very cold directorially, and brings none of the warmth, say, Cameron Crowe brings to Almost Famous. I don't mean to compare the two, that's very unfair really, but I can't help but notice it. And maybe Chase was trying to say something very much different from Almost Famous, but unfortunately I can't tell what that is, and frankly I think its more his fault than mine.
½ November 29, 2013
A movie that just didn't know what it wanted to be. Even if that was the point of the movie, there will still things that didn't line up for me to enjoy this as much as expected.
½ November 19, 2013
A "ho-hum" retelling of a fictional rock group coming of age during the surge of "The Beatles" and "The Rolling Stones". Some of the dialogue in this film is annoyingly preachy and the generational gap that is portrayed is very simplistic. Some good soundtrack selections but the plot and story do not elevate this to the realm of something that is watchable.
November 6, 2013
While Not Fade Away starts out fine, it wears out it's welcome and my interest faded away.
November 5, 2013
I was disappointed with the movie. Great storyline but didn't carry it out. Decent music which is why it gets two stars.
½ October 25, 2013
There are several moments of delightful rock n roll tribute whereby iconic black 'n' white images give us a grained, scratchy peak at the musical heights of the past. The idea was there, but the follow through was not. The acting is mediocre, and the focus seems directed towards a television approach, something David Chase is probably more comfortable with.
½ October 20, 2013
Another really good movie, ruined by a sad attempt at an ending. This ending may top all bad endings for me. Otherwise, up to that point it was very enjoyable, with good music, good acting, fun storyline, etc. I would have given it 4 to 4 1/2 stars. David Chase..what were you thinking with this? was that all you could come up with for an ending??
½ October 18, 2013
Really enjoyed this movie; good performances & music. Also made me realize just how much the world of film is going to miss James Gandolfini.
October 13, 2013
A decent effort from writer/director David Chase looking at the music scene in the 1960s. It fails to connect with much beyond simple nostalgia and solid filmmaking, but it's worth a watch once. I just wish Chase had something more to say in the story. It's just a skin deep look at life as an artist.
September 28, 2013

One might imagine that Sopranos creator David Chase would have chosen a different project as his directorial debut. This is a personal story with the central protagonist probably a reflection of his younger self. Unfortunately, the end result is boring as hell.

Set in 1960s New Jersey, this coming-of-age tale centers on teenager Douglas Damiano (John Magaro) who joins a band (initially doing drums and background vocals) and tries to win the heart of popular high school girl from upscale family Grace Dietz (Bella Heathcote).

While there is no doubt that the movie is well made, it has a been-there-done-that feel from start to finish and the leads are OK and not interesting enough. James Gandolfini elevates the movie a bit with his performance as Douglas's rough, old-school dad. Movie is narrated by Douglas's sister.
½ September 21, 2013
Must admit. For once, "Mad Men" did it better.
September 3, 2013
what a miserable piece of rubbish. director david chase is old enough to have lived through the late 1960s but, apparently, he was off planet at the time. i would have named this film 'Teenagers Smoke Cigarettes (in almost every single frame) and Want to Be in a Rock Band.' waste of time. p.s. too bad this is the final bit of work from james gandolfini.
½ August 27, 2013
What happened at the end?
½ August 14, 2013
Was niet slecht, goeie muziek ook !
½ August 13, 2013
3.5: This was a pretty strange experience. It was like watching The Sopranos on the big screen, but it wasn't The Sopranos. It was definitely the David Chase we know from The Sopranos though. It's like a more personal version of David Chase's imaginings, which makes sense as it is supposedly somewhat autobiographical. Every single part of the film rings true to the life and seems to have sprung straight from reality. It is rather amusing that Chase allowed himself to be portrayed in a such an unfavorable light. It seems somewhat remarkable that this young man, at least as written and portrayed, could grow into the creator of The Sopranos. It serves as a fascinating window back in time. As with many of the greatest films, it's focus on an extremely specific time and place manages to bring about feelings and meanings that are universal in their depth and scope.
August 8, 2013
Has some good music, but that's all it had going for it.