Not Fade Away - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Not Fade Away Reviews

½ August 4, 2013
"Not Fade Away" 10 Scale Rating: 5.0 (Mediocre) ...

The Good: Solid musical score. Even the tracks written for the film felt authentic and fit in to the era they were portraying. James Gandolfini did a great job even if he was similar in some ways to his Sopranos character, minus the gangster thing. Truly speaks to anyone who wanted to try and start a band and make it in the industry, regardless of what decade it was.

The Bad: Sort of goes on and on and loses steam halfway through. Starts becoming a chore to watch and you want to get to the ending so that you see what happens. Once you get there, you are pretty let down though.
½ August 4, 2013
"Not Fade Away" 10 Scale Rating: 5.0 (Mediocre) ...

½ August 2, 2013
FAB, fab, fab!!! Let's start a party with a band, like the old days. or a Jam night or hey open a COFFEEHOUSE! TYPE OF PEOPLE WILLLOVE THIS . iT'S HELPS YOU LIVE THE 60'S AND BE IN THE MOMENT OF REMEMBERING IT AS IT REALLY WAS.
July 28, 2013
Not Fade Away is good drama about 60's teens starting off in rock n' roll during the Beatles and Rolling stones. James Gandofini is good as dad to one kids. B
July 27, 2013
Part coming-of-age story, and part love letter to 60's rock n roll music, Not Fade Away is a decent effort from David Chase. But by the end of it's nearly 2 hour runtime, the film never really goes anywhere and doesn't offer anything you haven't seen before in other coming-of-age films. Luckily, there's still enough here to be enjoyed such as some great cinematography and a fantastic soundtrack. Worth a watch if your a fan of the era. It's just a shame it couldn't have been something more.
½ July 27, 2013
i totally bought into this story of a band that didn't make it big, the whole cast was top shelf especially huston as eugene. not much happens but there was just enough to keep me going along and the superb soundtrack helped as well.......
½ July 14, 2013
Can only really be appreciated by two types of people. Those that know and love the history and roots of rock n roll. And those that are fans of the late James Gandolfini under the direction of Sopranos creator David Chase.
July 13, 2013
I wanted to like this movie. I thought I would because I love sixties rock and it sounded like an interesting story.

But it soon turned into a cliche' boy meets girl tale with very little else going on. I found it very non-compelling. In fact I wanted to turn it off about 45 minutes in but had faith that since it was a David Chase movie, it would surely get better.

It didn't.
½ July 11, 2013
There are a few moments in which you almost feel the rousing energy of youth and rock n roll. But mostly Not Fade Away is a long string of cliches so old that it verges on satire a la Spinal Tap. As with Chase's The Sopranos, however, the music is great.
July 11, 2013
I liked this movie about one hit wonders.
½ July 10, 2013
Pretty bad movie. I don't think the point was shown too well. I expected more. But, the music was good.
July 9, 2013
Derivative yet satisfying.
½ July 4, 2013
A 60's coming of age movie that at times is funny and touching, but also sometimes loses it's way, good music though.
½ July 4, 2013
i saw this two weeks ago and can't really remember much about it, it was completely unmemorable. id describe this as 2hr season finale of the Wonder Years. i did manage to watch the entire movie so that has to be worth something these days. i think the biggest problem is that in all the character interactions and subplots nothing eventful actually ever really happened - douglas and his dad, his girlfriend and her sister (what was the point?) , douglas and the ex-lead singer, etc... all left a lot to be desired. and the ending was pretty lame. nice try david chase.
July 3, 2013
A coming of age drama, Written and Directed by The Sopranos creator David Chase, also set in New Jersey in the background of the British invasion of America. A killer soundtrack and some nice dramatic moments.
½ July 2, 2013
Somehow the story not as strong as the band songs
½ June 30, 2013
This a big miss from David Chase. A total bore. For me, only one well written REAL scene in the entire film, which not surprisingly involves Gandolfini. The lead kids are as stiff as a board. Characters hardly developed. Surprisingly poor effort from the man behind The Sopranos.
June 30, 2013
A coming of age drama, and a very average one.
½ June 29, 2013
The one thing about Not Fade Away that is spot on is the music, which shouldn't be a surprise. This is after all a movie that takes place in the 60's so the music should reflect that, but it's nice to see an eclectic mix for once. They don't just spin the hits of the era. There are plenty of tracks that seem fresh because of not being overused for films like this. It also has a pretty decent cast of characters, particularly James Gandolfini's character, and they all do their best in a story that should have been a little more straightforward than it is. It tends to go in different directions, which I guess reflects the lead character who is basically a directionless punk and by the end of the film he's not so much a directionless punk, but it just didn't work for me. And I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it reminded me quite a bit of Saturday Night Fever in that regard. The fact is that David Chase has written and directed a mostly ok film about the subject matter, but I think it needed a bit more spit and polish. In other words, more focus on either the point or the narrative, and not trying to do both. The music, the actors and the performances are all good, and that's really what will make or break this film with viewers.