Not on the Lips - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Not on the Lips Reviews

DrStrangeblog
½ January 13, 2016
Spirited comedic operetta set in 1925 as a high society woman's husband meets her ex-husband for a major business deal while each unaware she had previously married the other. I don't like musicals as a rule but when a cast shows a level of commitment on par with Chicago or Moulin Rouge then I capitulate. This cast surely had to know their stuff on par with a true live show performance as the very long takes and pinpoint timing must've required many many hours of rehearsal. Audrey Tautou sparkles as a supporting character and comes in 5th or 6th in screen time, while it's Isabelle Nanty playing her older sister who gets the best lines, sometimes speaking directly to camera and the audience. Script includes some witty satirization of art movements and the people who only follow the hottest trend, for example the hot ticket is for a new ballet with a seal as the leading dancer, and Cubism has been supplanted by Spherism.
½ March 27, 2014
pretty good rom-dram
½ January 2, 2012
funny and whimsical, as tautou does best...
February 8, 2011
alain resnaisnin 2003 yapimi muzikal filmi..1925 yilinda andr√ (C) barde ve maurice yvain tarafindan paris de theatre des nouveautes de *sahnelenen bir operetden uyarlama..
January 29, 2010
Funny and entertaining musical which remains very shallow.
September 26, 2009
I'm usually a fan of musicals but I was disappointed with this one. The story is way too simple and I was bored through it. I guess it would have been better to see it in a theater as a play rather than as a movie.
September 15, 2009
This is mostly likely awful - not even sure Audrey makes this one watchable, especially with that weird hairstyle, but I'd give it half an hour at least.
½ August 1, 2009
Pour Audrey seulement, il faut vraiment aimé l'opérette et le style très posé de Resnais...en plus certains acteurs ne chantent même pas bien! A eviter!
½ June 13, 2009
Textbook definition of how NOT to film a musical. The blocking and cinematography are so static. Even a stage musical would have been directed better than this. The Midsummer Night's-esque story gets cuter in the third act, but on the whole, a shallow farce. Isabelle Nanty is quite good.
½ May 12, 2009
Couldn't get into it. Fun watching Audrey sing, though.
½ March 14, 2009
Les chansonnettes sont tres jolies et les acteurs sont a peu pres tous bons (mention speciale a Azema). La realisation est lechee. Les decors somptueux. Mais ce film a les limites de son genre : les personnages sont caricaturaux et evoluent peu, et l'intrigue est assez normee.
March 8, 2009
GREAT!!!! Resnais's film is never outdated!
½ January 17, 2009
de--lightful movie.
There are some scenes to be watched over.
and songs to be heard again.
½ December 18, 2008
"Pas sur la bouche"
Diverte, mas podia ser melhor.
November 25, 2008
An enjoyable musical comedy set in the 20s with some catchy tones. However, the production was not a successful transition from stage to cinema, they didn't use the advantages of camera to create a better setting or anything.
November 21, 2008
J√° queria ver no 7.¬ļ Festival Varilux de Cinema Franc√™s! Agora que sei que foi dirigido pelo Alain Resnais quero ainda mais :p
½ October 23, 2008
Utter madness and quite charming. Funny, crazy, musical.
½ April 27, 2008
Other than being a little slow in parts and a little too kitsch at times, I really enjoyed this film. No the singing isn't great (nor the music really), but that's not really the point. It's farcical in an age that doesn't do farce. It's flamboyant in a distinctly french way (often at an American's expense...how au courant!). The costumes are fantastic and the inanity of it makes it a bit of an escape. Loved it!
April 20, 2008
The choreography was disappointing. Sigh! I actually couldn't finish the movie...
April 2, 2008
This movie felt like it jumped out of the pages of an Oscar Wilde play. Loved the songs and dances. I liked how it seemed like I was watching a play. Plus I love Audrey Tautou so the 1hr55min was worthwhile!