Nothing Lasts Forever - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nothing Lasts Forever Reviews

½ October 2, 2015
If I could give it zero stars I would. I think the only way this movie would be enjoyable is with the introduction of some mind altering drugs...... No never mind there's nothing that would make this movie enjoyable. Hey is that Bill Murray? Yep! But his appearance does nothing to help this completely abysmal mess. Save yourself a lot of pain and have a root canal instead of watching this movie!
September 3, 2015
Great movie. Lucky I got to see it before Warner brothers pulled it from YouTube. This is a great classic gem that deserves to be seen. Sad they won't release it.
½ June 23, 2015
I just saw a bootleg copy of this rarely seen film from Tom Schiller, a man behind some short films that aired on SNL years ago. I have to say I found this to be a wonderfully creative and entertaining film. It is a sci-fi/fantasy film, shot like it was made in the 1930s, about a young man longing to be an artist, and who ends up going to the moon on a bus full of old people going there to shop. It is whole-heartedly weird, but kind of wonderful too. I kind of loved it, and I wish it had gotten a proper release and Schiller had been given a shot to make other films.
½ January 9, 2015
total un SNL pic from SNL lorne michaels
January 5, 2015
Tom Schiller's bold, magical absurdist quest for beauty, art and love in a world gone mad.
January 4, 2015
What a trip! I can appreciate this film on so many levels. Probably not for everyone.
½ January 4, 2015
So bizarre and funny, but definitely not for everyone. Reminds me of the Powell/ Pressburger BLIMP or STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN in spirit, and early Coen Brothers in theme/ tone. I'd even throw in early Burton as well, given the odd, odd plot: an artist returns to NY and a job with the Transit Office only to be sucked into the art underworld and sent to the moon -- via bus.

The film never received theatrical release or home video release, so I caught it on Turner Classic Movies, who premiered it on January 4th, 2015.
½ July 13, 2014
Indie before there was indie... still indie.
½ May 2, 2013
Nothing Lasts Forever. This movie sucks. Do not see it. 1/10
½ March 27, 2013
"Nothing Lasts Forever" is a peculiar, boldly stylized fantasy with heavy ties to early "Saturday Night Live" (writer/director Tom Schiller, producer Lorne Michaels, composer Howard Shore, Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray). Contrived to look like a '40s B-movie, it's mostly shot in woozy black and white, minus two important sequences.

"Forever" is nearly a work of singular genius, except the conclusion fails to deliver on the promise of the first half. Zach Galligan ("Gremlins") is Adam Beckett, a young idealist who returns to New York from Europe with naive plans of being an artist. He has no demonstrated talent and hasn't even chosen a medium. But in this alternate New York, the Port Authority runs the city and is fiercely strict about which would-be artists are accepted into the population (apparently, Toulouse-Lautrec is also caught in the bureaucracy). The chief hurdle is an aptitude test, where Adam has to sketch a flirty nude within three minutes. The resulting product is one of the film's best laughs. His weak performance results in him being relegated to an Orwellian traffic-control post, with Aykroyd briefly portraying his grizzled supervisor. Eventually, Adam finds favor with a secret underground organization and earns an unlikely trip to the moon. Via bus. Romance and creative inspiration await him.

There a few old-fashioned, orchestrated songs that are quite well-written -- the title tune adds an amazing dubbed vocal -- and Eddie Fisher even turns up to sing "Oh, My Papa." Imogene Coca, Mort Sahl and Calvert "Larry 'Bud' Melman" DeForest are also in the cast.
August 1, 2012
I have no clue what it all means, but this lost comedy/musical/sci-fi film from the the cast of SNL has such a welcomng spirit that it shouldn't be forgotten.
½ December 23, 2010
All of my boyfriends are in this movie (Bill Murray, Dr. Bronner, Dr. Bronner's liquid peppermint soap).
September 10, 2010
Technically brilliant; but the themes and the tempo only come together for the last section. Until then, there's student-film-type philosophizing that doesn't go deep enough to keep away student-type boredom. As a pastiche, the movie is more than technically brilliant; it brings filmmaking styles from the 40s and 50s back to life, on even footing with the modern stuff. The morale: Nothing lasts forever, but in a way, you can believe that anything Beautiful does. All in all, this one has a lot of charm.
August 28, 2010
Excellent comedy that comes from a specific sensibility rather than situation, and does not try to sell jokes or self-conscious quirk. Watch for Dr. Bronner in lunar advertising, Eddie Fisher and Anita Ellis singing, Mort Sahl, Larry "Bud" Melman, and Dan Aykroyd providing orientation for the Port Authority.
August 27, 2010
What an odd movie!!! Set in a bizarre early 80's timeline and filmed (quite believably) as though it was the early 30's, this weird and whimsical tale is something that needs to be seen to be believed. The ONLY person I can imagine tackling this script is Terry Gilliam. It seems like it might all make sense in his warped little brain. Instead, this is populated with the Gremlins kid and a bumch of Saturday Night Live vets. Bill Murray is especially cool to watch. I also appreciate a nod to the occasionally retarded insanity of the "art community". Thanks for the heads up on the existence of this movie, Mr. Beaks!
½ February 28, 2009
Zach Galligan of Gremlins fame, stars in this strange lost film, from a former SNL writer, Tim Schiller, in the 80's. This was produced by Lorne Micheals, and features cameos from Dan Akroyd as a Holland Tunnel inspector (who uses the only instance of profanity, this movie is PG) and Bill Murray as the villanous Captain of an interstellar bus which transports the elderly to the moon.

Galligan is a young man whose been abroad for years, and returned home only to find that the New York Port Authority has siezed control of the city, due to traffic problems. Galligan is a naive but kindly upstart who knows only that he wants to be an aritst. After failing the mandatory "art test" used to determine, who is an artist and who isn't, he is forced to work at the Holland Tunnel with Akroyd, but not for too long, as he meets a fellow artist, falls in love and is taken through a short montage of the new york art world.

The setting is essentially timeless, at one point, it suggests the thirties, at another they mention the 50's as part of the past, and at one brief moment, theres a strong hint of 80's, but the film is shot in black and white mostly, and made to resemble a science fiction from an earlyish period from the last century, 30's, 40's???

The plot takes a few turns from here which are suprising and fantastical and not to give away too much, but unfortunately since this movie has NEVER been released on home video or dvd(and doesnt seem likely too), I'll give a way a little more of what's to come...New York as you know it may be an illusion, the homeless are the secret masters of the city and possibly more, and the elderly have been taking routine bus trips to the moon since the 50's, they have chips in their heads which make them say "Miami" everytime they even think the word "Moon", so they can't tell anyone. All of these plot elements are told with a matter of factness and a touching sweetness, at no point does this film become cynical, mean, perverse, or pretentious (not something most films as rare and surreal as this can claim).

Others have rightly compared it to both Terry Gilliam and Woodey Allen at their most fanciful, but there's a sweetness to this, which gives it a charm all of its own. It's completely unique, very clever, and unusually heartwarming. See it by any means necessary, and as the secret society of bums commands,"Fear not, love all".
August 27, 2008
Absolutely incredible. The weird dream logic of Orson Welles' "The Trial" crossed with the sweet optimism of Frank Capra. Beautiful, hilarious, amazing. Seek it out!
August 21, 2008
If I didn't have concrete proof that this movie actually exists and I'm not crazy, then I would have written off the time I spent watching it as a fever dream. You're looking at the plot summary now, I bet, and you're wondering what the hell this movie is about. The answer is simple: exactly what it says there, despite how lunatic it sounds.

Also there is Dan Ayckroyd before he became an indiscriminate script-approver.