Nothing But the Truth Reviews

• Jan 21, 2020

A very well written story that implicates a lot of powerful ideas that, unfortunately, still have relevance today and will continue to have relevance in the future. Whether it is a government that is doing wrong in the name of the people and trying to cover it up, or the people who no longer care if their government is doing wrong in their name and attack the press for trying to uncover the wrongdoing.

• Oct 17, 2019

After all the theories my head was bobbing with, I should have instead squeaked the toy. Nothing But The Truth So Rod Lurie, the writer and director's film would be highly recommended in my house. The hints of courtroom drama that it delivers is not the only reason. But the existence of such an unsettling climax sketched after a promising premise. So what made this ending of the film frowned upon by others. First of all, one shouldn't look at a story as a call to your own history. Or your expectations. An ending has never made me reevaluate what I have thought of that film. Yes, I could be disappointed. But not in the ending. For usually that is what is in one's mind. You choose a destination and then you start learning how to drive. What would make me question is the road that leads to that station. Why would a storyteller choose a road that would be bumpy and unsettling and even tiring at the end of the trip. Now what Lurie did isn't particularly wrong. Off track? Misleading? Sure. But you can always see in the film that Lurie is repeatedly failing on attempting any sense of sensibility out of that situation. And I don't mean that deliberate plot points that are placed to provoke your thoughts. But the theme it wishes to get out from those scenes. There is no equality. No rhythm. None whatsoever similarity. You find yourself shifting, changing positions, perspectives to find a way out. But what it does do well and what Lurie should have stuck with, is that strong grip that these characters have on the audience. So instead of looking for a way out through a mature ending, he should have craft it into a commercial thriller. With juicy twists and turns, Nothing But The Truth could have been nothing but a sharp and satisfying case.

• Sep 05, 2017

Nothing but the Truth counts with outstanding performances from both Vera Farmiga and Kate Beckingsale. After watching the movie I read a lot of reviews that criticized the Matt Dillon's performance and I found this nonsense, because he did what he was supposed to do, sending feelings like anguish and irritability to the spectator about his character. Furthermore, the movie has a careful script, the plot has some twists and turns and a unpredictable end and the story never looses its interest.

• Jun 26, 2017

I don't think I've ever seen a so predictable, obvious and boring plot in my life. I only want to save the political aspect about the fight between rights and law.

• May 14, 2017

A propaganda film ment to make reporters look like heros.

A propaganda film ment to make reporters look like heros.

• Sep 21, 2016

Unfortunately not widely released due to financial issues this is very strong political thriller. Possibly Beckinsale's best work. Strong supporting cast and excellent direction leading to fast paced tense storytelling. First rate.

• Jul 21, 2016

Great, unpredictable story; strong performances all around by a very good cast. It's heartening that original, quality, compelling films like this can still get made in an era riddled with sequels and explosion films.

Kyle M Super Reviewer
    Feb 11, 2016

A story about an incredibly brave and strong woman treated unbelievably unfairly by those in power -- she is an admirable journalist who demonstrates principled integrity, and the film shows the cost of keeping those principles in the face of tyranny. A story worth telling. Very great performance by Kate Beckinsale.

• Jan 26, 2016

While everyone is watching a 'patriotic' movie on Republic Day, I watched an anti-establishment movie. Simple plot, brilliant ending, fantastic acting by Kate Beckinsale and Matt Dillion. This is linear story-telling done excellently. With the way the situation is right now in this country, could completely relate to a death that occurred because of 'nationalism' in this movie.

• Nov 14, 2015

Great casting! Everyone did an amazing job and this was written very well. This movie is to be appreciated for its great story telling. Political thrillers are tough sells usually, however, nothing but the truth very believable as there is much truth in it.