NOW: In the Wings on a World Stage Reviews

• Mar 28, 2018

Too much the luvvie travelogue, this doesn't dig deep enough into either Shakespeare's play nor Kevin Spacey's "mercurial" (as Sam Mendes describes it) temperament. Of course with hindsight we now know more of his darker side, but the documentary itself would have benefited from a less hagiographic approach.

• Oct 17, 2015

Para verse junto a "Looking for Richard" por partida doble, y ver a Kevin Spacey interpretar magistralmente en teatro la clásica obra de Shakespeare, "Richard III", en un tour alrededor del mundo.

• Mar 04, 2015

Is Theater is dying? Maybe not! The only theater play I have ever attended was while I was in primary school (what the Americas call a field trip), it will forever stay soldered in my mind as the ending came near; fake snow fell from ceiling above, like Wynona Ryder in Edward Scissorhands. Actors, although I have never met any, from stories and Kevin Smiths podcast, plus critic's have stated they are boring self centered people. I can see what they meant by watching this on Netflix, ah.... Netflix juckyard for lack-luster films that get eaten up by it subscribers leaving them with the idea it is the best cinema has to offer. But I digress slowly to the point of this documentary, friendship in actors in creating an amazing and original experience that is the theater. Theater; it happens once then its gone, in present day and age that is what makes it what it is, its genesis, the mojo of watching actors play a story right in front of you, the origins of all entertainment. This film follows Kevin Spacey and an assortments of lesser known stage actors as they play Shakespeare's Richard II or is it called the third, I'm so dumb I can't remember. Anyway, they play Shakespeare's Richard-the-whatever number a hundred times in the world's greatest places, but never really catching that zing, the film does try to capture. There is that humanity you find as these actors who's lives 24/7 is to pretend, build a faithful relationship that is the cement in the production of there play. Those truthful friendships are covered up like dog shit on a shoe, by a poor approach at editing the scenes all jumbled up, less explanations and more behind the scenes. It falls over like a tradegity when Spacey centers the film on his ego instead of the kindle of false and real friendships it presents then lose. Still a very interesting watch for cinephiles and theater fans.

• Dec 27, 2014

I was fortunate enough to see Kevin Spacey's magnificent performance as Richard III so I was particularly interested in seeing this behind the scenes documentary. Unfortunately if offers little insight into the play, performances or Sam Mendes' direction. Rather, it's more of a video scrapbook of the show's family of performers and support staff, like extra bonus material included with a DVD.