Nowhere in Africa (Nirgendwo in Afrika) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nowhere in Africa (Nirgendwo in Afrika) Reviews

September 10, 2011
One of the most beautiful movies I have seen. Shot brilliantly accompanied by an emotional score with a very raw and compelling story telling, it's hard not to be enthralled by the first opening scene. Such an intelligent script that doesn't play with your emotions, but leaves the story to the viewer to judge. All the cliches about foreign films: intelligent, cinematic, epic, are all found in Nowhere in Africa. I would have loved to see this on the big screen. If you were disappointed with the English Patient, this will more than make up for it. Enjoy it with a glass of red.
August 12, 2011
†"Tolerance doesn't mean that everyone is the same. That'd be stupid. What I've learned here is how valuable differences are. Differences are good. And intelligent people will never hold it against you."

Synopsis: †A Jewish family emigrate from Germany to Kenya to escape the Nazis and are forced to adapt to life on an unfamiliar continent.†

The picture is remarkably void of any pretension and real challenge, which does nothing but make this picture extremely watchable, even for those who do not normally watch foreign cinema. †It's directed with a modern mainstream aesthetic and the cinematography wonderfully captures the beauty of Africa. †At the heart of it's script is the mental and geographical journey of three well developed characters. †We are there for their awkward insertion into another continent, another culture, another life in a foreign land, while at the same time seeing the value of ethnic and cultural differences. Like I said earlier, Nowhere in Africa isn't particularly subtle with it's themes, but that can hardly be held against it.

The acting is superb here. The little girl does a great job not only with her character but also the many languages her character knows. †The same is true of the two adult leads within the picture, particularly†Juliane KŲhler as the initially disgruntled mother who soon finds acceptance, and eventually love for the country that saved her life.†

Though it's not particularly challenging, complex characters, solid writing, fine acting and superb cinematography, make Nowhere in Africa an ideal foreign film.
½ July 27, 2011
Set against the backdrop of gorgeous landscapes and (beautifully and realistically depicted) rural African life, this wonderfully acted film (and true story) is about European-African culture clash and all of the more common trials and hardships of marriage and family⦠but in a truly insane context: a German Jewish family escapes to rural Kenya just before WWII; once war is declared they become prisoners of the English in Kenya, before the father enlists in the British army to fight the Nazis
June 14, 2011
I felt like I grew with the family in the film as they recreated a new life and mission in Kenya escaping Nazi Germany. Worth seeing
June 14, 2011
May 31, 2011
"Nowhere en Africa" (2001) de Caroline Link (2h20) d'après la nouvelle de Stefanie Zweig (couleurs) revu sur TF1 en VF dans la nuit du mardi 31 mai au mercredi 1 juin 2011 de 2h30 à 4h30 !
May 22, 2011
Besides the fact that this is a really well-made film, I just really enjoyed and loved this film. Plain and simple.
½ May 4, 2011
A truly amazing and remarkable film. I can't recommend this picture enough. I found myself totally engrossed from the titles to the end credits.
April 19, 2011
An excellent historical expose of exiled jews, and the trials they suffered during WWII. Very insightful film. One more take on the Nazi atrocities, and the resettlement of Jews. Interesting to show that there were those who believed enough in their German heritage to have the committment of reconstruction.
March 7, 2011
The paradox of human history - the citizens of well developed, successful
democratic country of Europe had have to save their lifes in African wild country, where people sleep on the ground and almost don't wear any clothes. Great movie.
½ February 20, 2011
Great production servicing an awesome story, which I hope is true. The African landscapes are beautiful and the cultural encounter was perfectly portrayed here. Nowhere in Africa is a fair Academy Award Winner, but I still think Hero, from China, was better.
February 18, 2011
my rating for Nowhere In Africa is # 4. but the still i love it this movie.
February 11, 2011
I LIKE "NOWHERE IN AFRICA" THE MOVIE. IS VERY INTERESTING.
KENYA WHICH IS IN AFRICA AND IS A WILD PLACE, THE SMALL GROUP PEOPLE ARE POOR BUT THEY LIVE IN PEACE. ESPECIALLY MASAAI MARA AND SAMBURU.
½ December 23, 2010
Gorgeous, but much too long and lacking in emotional resonance.
November 3, 2010
This movie captures the amazing landscapes of africa with a rich background score and emotionally engaging tale of a Jewish family in kenya during the world war...The bond between the kenyan cook and the little german kid is very touching and stands out .
May 20, 2010
Nowhere in Africa,winner of the 2002 Best Foreign Film Oscar, told the story of a Jewish family that emigrated from Germany to Kenya before WWII, to escape the rising Nazi's in their home country. The movie focused on a lawyer named Walter Redlich, his wife,and their daughter, Regina, who narrated the story.She told us what happened to Walter, Jettel and her self, in an interesting story, even with a slow pace,how the Redlich family had to cope with poverty as they started over in a totally different land among people speaking a different language. It was heartbreaking, especially as they were separated from their families and comfortable life,but they also knew that they could not go back. , I do recommend this movie, for the ones who had not seen it yet, it is visually quite stunning, and the performances and direction were simply good.
mvieaddict
May 20, 2010
½ May 18, 2010
It's been a very long time since I saw this Oscar winning foreign film from Germany, so I figured I'd check it out again. Like most films set in Africa, the scenery is amazing, with nice cinematography and a great score. The story is very well told and it's got a nice cast. Though it's a bit overlong, it's always interesting. I preferred the earlier scenes when Regina was younger, but the other scenes are still good.
ElCochran90
½ April 28, 2010
Undeniably a German respectful modern epic that teaches us lessons about life, family love and unexpected changes, opportunities and experiences that life may bring to us unprecedentedly. Certainly, more accurate than an Out of Africa. It may be simplistic, but it was necessary.

75/100
April 12, 2010
five five five five stars.....