Number Seventeen (Number 17) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Number Seventeen (Number 17) Reviews

½ February 13, 2016
Through the murk of both picture and soundtrack, it is still possible to make out that this is an Alfred Hitchcock film. Sort of. The problem is that the Master seems unfocused. He uses montage as well as he ever did - to create a spoof of "the old dark house" genre, for example - but then he leaves characters standing around in a group talking for what seems like eons. This may be a result of the transition to sound that meant that actors needed to hover under or around hidden microphones - but Hitch had already demonstrated that he could be clever with sound (e.g., Blackmail, 1929). Instead, the root cause of the problem is probably the underlying play based on misrepresentation and confusion of identities amongst criminals and detectives involved in the theft of a necklace. I was confused too. Leon M. Lion is along for cockney comic relief but the major attraction is a finale which sees a bus and train rush pell-mell toward the Thames (I think) with cops on one and robbers on the other until they barrel into a ferry and the denouement begins. Unfortunately, the whole thing is so clearly a set of models that suspension of disbelief is impossible. But undoubtedly Hitch didn't care; fortunately, his best pictures were still ahead of him.
November 22, 2015
I found the plot confusing and hard to follow. There are also a lot of ridiculous social effects and plot twists. However, it is interesting to see an early Hitchcock.
July 7, 2015
Boring...again...I'm not even 100% about what was going on for most of it. Time for a break from these!
April 26, 2015
Il est dommage qu'il faille attendre près de 40 minutes pour enfin quitter le premier décor de Numéro 17 et y trouver un joli climax d'à peu près 20 minutes dans un train lancé à grande vitesse qui implique aussi un bateau à vapeur. Visuellement, c'est plutôt réussi et le travail sur le son est assez étonnant pour un film de l'époque. Mais avant ça, l'histoire est si complexe et décousue qu'il est impossible de s'intéresser au moindre personnage, surtout avec ces acteurs extrêmement cabotins (Leon M. Lion en tête).
½ April 22, 2015
my least favorite Hitchcock, but not all bad.
January 15, 2015
An uninspired detective mystery with a labyrinthine plot is crammed into an hour and given spoof styling. This mostly takes the form of an immensely annoying sidekick, some gurning to the camera and some playing around with editing. There's some nice atmosphere at the beginning and a small amount of entertainment to be drawn from the preposterous twists and over the top action, but these are only passing moments and it keeps up neither the fun nor the captivation levels.
July 16, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

There are so many things wrong with this film. First off the acting was horrendous, leaving me cringing in the process. Second, the story was dull, lacking in the twists and suspense that are present in Hitchcock's great films. It was also so difficult to follow the plot as Hitchcock fails to establish both the characters and the story early in the film. Finally, the score in this film was so forced that I actually laughed a couple of times, along with a few sighs of loathing, instead of feeling immersed in the film's suspenseful atmosphere. The only aspect of the film I could compliment is its photography. The cinematographers wonderfully crafted this sense of darkness and eeriness on the film's background, but once the plot kicks into gear its atmosphere starts to change, coming off as generic and lacking in texture. Though I am aware that Hitchcock was forced into making this film by British International Pictures due to the poor commercial performance of his previous film East of Shanghai, but that doesn't mean he had to make a picture this awful. Long story short, Number Seventeen is an appalling film by Hitchcock.
July 15, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

½ February 25, 2014
It's alright, not too memorable. The characters are rather uninteresting and the film isn't that appealing. Not the best out of Hitchcock's films, but still fairly decent to those into classic comedy mysteries.
September 25, 2013
A purchase of flat turns into a lasting assassination ended up on a train. Despite the powerful struggles at the very end, the plot before that is as confusing as hell without making a sense. I mean, what is that all about?
½ September 18, 2013
Just did not grab my interest.
½ September 15, 2013
The plotting is half-baked and the special effects are so crude that they make the back projection in Marnie look like the last word in verisimilitude.
February 26, 2013
Shows a lot of influence from German Expressionism. While the plot is thin and wishy washy the movie has a nice tone and features good traits that can be seen in a lot of Hitchcock's other work.
January 1, 2013
A gang of thieves gather at a safe house following a robbery, but a detective is on their trail.
November 23, 2012
½ November 5, 2012
a decent hitchcock film.
½ September 26, 2012
Cor blimey guv'nor, this was a bit silly weren't it? Although I have to say Number Seventeen wasn't quite a poor as I was expecting. It is just a farce and Ben does get quite irritating quite quickly but at least Hitchcock was able to get his train set out for the final scenes.
½ April 28, 2012
This was one of Hitchcock's early works and was one of his worse. It was very hard to follow and despite the film being only slightly more than an hour it was boring. There was one thing I liked a lot though. The klutz humor that Ben brought to the table. Without that this would be one of my least favorite movies, which I would hate to say for any work of Hitch. This is defiantly the worse film I've seen of his but he was still a young director who had time to learn, and he certainly did.
½ March 22, 2012
Its actually pretty poor. Poor acting. Poor Plot. Poorly put together movie. Strange coming from a master of cinematography.
February 7, 2012
A bit confusing, but like all of the stories Hitch chooses, it is worth it in the end. He displays a couple of his trades marks, including a large emphasis on shadows, sometimes too much.