Nuns on the Run - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nuns on the Run Reviews

December 6, 2010
Wanting to quit their life of crime and fearing their boss Casey is going to kill them, bank robbers Brian Hope and Charlie McManus (Eric Idle and Robbie Coltrane) decide to double cross their employers and steal a large amount of Triad money so they can start a new life. When the plan goes a bit wrong and the cops arrive on the scene, the pair seek refuge in the first place available... the local convent.

How anyone could mistake these two men as a pair of ugly, ugly nuns I don't know, but somehow Brian and Charlie are able to pass themselves off as Sister's Euphemia and Inviolata, respectively. It takes them about ten minutes to be fully settled in within the convent, despite having no documentation to explain their arrival or a reason for being there. Nevertheless, they're soon teaching the school girls (18-22, nubile, legal) about the bible and how to slam dunk a basketball whilst wearing a habit.

Something of a guilty pleasure classic on many levels, this 1990 film makes great use of Yello on its soundtrack. The previous decade had seen the near ubiquitous use of their song 'Oh Yeah' in Ferris Bueller's Day Off and The Secret of My Success (now of course better known as the theme for Duffman on The Simpsons), but here we have the use of Yello's 1988 song 'The Race'. Not just once, not just twice; this film is totally comprised of chase scenes, so it's constantly played and thoroughly addictive. Just listen to this once and I promise you'll have it in your head for the rest of the day.

Nuns On The Run is one of that special group of 80's classics (alright, this was 1990) made by Handmade Films, along with Withnail & I and How To Get Ahead In Advertising. It's a particular kind of farcical humour that only us British can get away with. To see two well respected comedians forced to drag up...honestly, it makes you proud. As well as Robbie Coltrane's letcherous Sister showing locker room etiquette Hogwarts certainly would not approve of, we have Eric Idle as a (gulp) romantic leading man. On top of waiting for the all clear so they can bugger off with the suitcases loaded with money, Brian also needs to make sure his ditzy girlfriend Faith is safe from the gangsters and the Triads.

Not only is Faith a bit annoying, she's a serious liability, constantly getting into scrapes because she's virtually blind without her glasses. WELL DON'T TAKE THEM OFF THEN!!! As is her destiny in life she gets herself shot, leading to a heroic rescue attempt by the Nunned up pair. Unfortunately for Brian and Charlie, their slightly effeminate but still slightly threatening mob boss Casey has figured out their rescue plan, and is going to try and catch them and get his money back (or as the poster has it, his $1,000,000. How they stole dollars in central London from a bunch of Triads, I don't know).

Nuns On The Run is pure cheese that has its best joke is in the title, but I can't help but love this film a little bit. It's wacky in stupid in all the ways that would probably make me hate a different film, but in the hands of Coltrane and Idle it's quite a charming little romp. If it's gender-defying-undercover-roles-played-by-desperate-comedians-looking-to-further-their-careers that you're into, I'd rank this film somewhere behind Mrs Doubtfire but way ahead of Big Mommas House.

So there you go. I didn't even mention Sister Act once... Shit.
November 6, 2010
British comedy classic about guys in drag that also takes time to, should we say, drive-by challenge certain aspects of christianity. A little slow at times, but Idle and Coltrane make up for it by being funny as all hell, as usual.
October 18, 2010
an alirght comedy. more for people that love british comedy
½ September 6, 2010
Decent British comedy, don't expect Monty Python though. I never realized Robbie (Hagrid) Coltrane was this funny!
August 18, 2010
idle and coltrane make a good double team - lost its edge over the years but still a good laugh
July 25, 2010
Occasionally funny farce with a dose of slapstick. Eric Idle & Robbie Coltrane make a good comedy partnership.
July 16, 2010
silly as only monty python can deliver
June 17, 2010
Nuns on the Run was a very funny comedy when I was a child, sadly it has lost nearly all of its humour and excitement now that I am older. Eric Idle is a legend of the comedy world having been part of the Monty Python gang and Robbie Coltrane is another funny actor, both do their best with what they are given but it really doesn't work at all.

The plot revolves around two small time bank robbers who want to get out of the game but they know they will be killed by their mob boss if they tell him they want out. They decide to pull one last job but it goes wrong when a girl Eric is seeing turns up on the scene. To avoid capture from the mob boss and his goons as well as the police, they enter a convent and dress up as nuns. It's an interesting enough premise but poor writing, a very low budget and dodgy direction mean it's largely a wasted opportunity.

It's incredibly hard to believe that none of the nuns notice they are two men simply because they throw on some concealer but this can be overlooked. Most of the jokes stem from Eric's character not knowing anything about the Catholic religion and from a Priest who takes a fancy to the two lads but they are few and far between. The "action" is very poorly shot and the female lead is very annoying and is part of an awful love story with Eric's character.

A mediocre British comedy that is so much better when you are ten years old.
May 20, 2010
(** 1/2): Thumbs Down

There are some very fun moments here but not enough for me to recommend the film. A near-miss.
April 26, 2010
A nice little British gem.
½ March 14, 2010
i saw mark's hand ( uncle)
January 8, 2010
Not that great. tTo many boring parts which drags the film out. Give it a miss.
January 1, 2010
What a duo are Robbie Coltrane and Eric idle. I love this comedy.
½ December 26, 2009
It's about what I expected, which isn't very good. I wanted to be able to get a couple of good laughs out of this one, but I just didn't.
December 20, 2009
I loved this film when i first saw it on its original cinema release. Just watched it again and it doesn't quite live up to my expectations. Still has some funny moments.
½ December 16, 2009
Classic spoof. Haven't seen for years but Idle and Coltrane, come on!
October 31, 2009
Very funny British comedy.Starring Eric Idle and Robert Coltrane as two bank robbers on the run and hide out as nuns. The film has many funny scenes. Both Eric and Robbie are very funny in this. I got some good laughs from it. Worth a watch.
½ October 29, 2009
A brilliant film about Brian and Charlie the two 'gangster' who want out of robbing banks and doing their bosses dirty work so decide to stitch their group up and leg with the money on the next job; however it does'nt go to plan as they cant slip away and have to find sanctuary in a church and nuns teaching college.

so along comes the drag and bemused girlfriend and the infamous line of 'spectacles, testacles, wallet and watch'. its a good British film.

Its a pleasant film with funny lines from everyone and has a great ending.
October 16, 2009
This movie needs to be watched at least three times but no more. Any viewing after three can kill you from laughter. The danger comes from the fact that the number of laughs grows exponentially with each view (If you don't know what exponentially means, stop. Don't watch it.)

By the time you get to a fourth viewing, you will laugh to the power of 4. (Three stands for the trinity, and you better stop there!)