The Nutcracker Prince - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Nutcracker Prince Reviews

April 25, 2010
Many people overlook this movie, but I have no idea why they did. I saw it when I was little and I loved this version of the Nutcracker. Heck, aside from Disney, this is what got me to love the music from the Nutcracker. And I enjoy every moment of it, especially the characters.
November 29, 2009
Every second of it was entertaining. But the movie was too short and seemed a little bit rushed at the end... so we didn't have enough time to get to know the characters.
½ November 24, 2009
A nice smooth animation.
November 19, 2009
I remember watching this many years ago with my younger siblings during Christmas and have been looking for it. I'm glad it's available on DVD now so that I can share it with my preschooler. We watched it this afternoon and I was happy that the magic of the story and animation is still there, and my preschooler loved it too. This version of the Nutcracker remains more faithful to the E.T.A. Hoffmann's version of the story.Young Clara (voiced by Megan Fellows of "Anne of Green Gables") receives a wooden nutcracker at Christmas from toymaker Drosselmeier, who regales her with the story of how the nutcracker came to be the way he is. That very night, Clara has dreams about a fantastical battle between the Nutcracker Prince (voiced by Kiefer Sutherland) and the evil Mouse King, and the outcome is one that not only affects the Nutcracker's freedom but young Clara's future as well. The accompanying music by Tchaikovsky enhances the animation and makes it all the more magical. The themes explored include those of courage, loyalty, and sacrifice. This is a family friendly feature that will entertain both children and adults. Recommended.
October 30, 2009
Boy waa cursed, turned into a nutcracker toy soldier, must find a girl to bring to toyland, make her fell in love with him and viola the spell will be broken and will turn the toy soldier into a real man that he is, love the music, the wit and of course the romance . . .
May 16, 2009
No wonder this film is all about combat: Jack Bauer is the Nutcracker Prince!
May 4, 2009
WOW, I had no idea that was Keifer Sutherland as the PRINCE! Now I need to watch it again. I haven't seen this film since I was a kid!
April 19, 2009
such a nostalgia movie ^^
I cry a lot...
½ April 2, 2009
it's a childhood thing and a christmas thing i'll never forget.
March 22, 2009
I love this movie! I have watched it every Christmas since I was six years old.
February 25, 2009
8 years ago it would probably been a full pott score, since I rly loved this movie as a kid :P its cute, and the best version of the story Ive seen so far...nostalgia<3
January 22, 2009
fills my heart with warmth
January 18, 2009
The Nutcracker is another Christmas story I love besides L. Frank Baum's "The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus." This film (that is based on the story by German author E.T.A. Hoffman), was straight out of my childhood. The story is just like the original story: It starts at Christmas Eve, at the Stahlbaum household, Karl & Ingird Stahlbaum are enjoying the new tree with their three children: Louise,Clara and Fritz. After opening their presents, guests start to arrive for the Christmas party. One guest in particular is Uncle Drosselmeir, who gives the family an intricate toy castle, and gives Clara a Nutcracker. Ah, but it is not just any Nutcracker, Uncle Drosselmeir warns her. The Nutcracker used to be a human boy, Uncle Drosselmeir says, but after he (the boy) broke a spell the Mouse Queen had placed over a princess, he had been cursed to become a Nutcracker Prince. At first it all seems to be just another fairy story to Clara. (And though she does enjoy a good fairy story,they are just that... stories.) That night, after everyone has gone to bed, Clara steals downstairs to dance with her new Nutcracker. But suddenly the Mouse King appears, intent on extracting the revenge he believes the Nutcracker owes him. And right then, before Clara's eyes,the Nutcracker comes to life, thus starting a strange dream-like war between dolls and mice.

My family used to rent the film on video for Christmas; I had watched it, and I love it. Of course, years later I was lucky to found (and bought) a copy of the film at a used Record/CD/VHS/DVD shop. I still watch the film near Christmas, and I still love this wonderfully animated film after all these years. As I said many times, I don't have a favorite scene, because I love the WHOLE film - from beginning to end; but I love Clara, her kitten Pavlova and the budding romance between her and her Nutcracker Prince. I also love the music from Tchaikovsky's ballet rendition that is used at throughout the film as the main instrumental soundtrack, and as I always say I love a film with a good soundtrack.
½ December 26, 2008
Awesome movie! Nicely done, with nice animation.
November 26, 2008
Would've been better if the Krackatuk Nut story wasn't done in the style of a Looney Tune. There are some very lovely images in this apart from that scene. The most beautiful is where our heroes enter the magic realm on swans. But there's still nothing that really inspires awe or wonder. Megan Follows is well cast as the heroine retaining Clara's gentleness while also bring a little sass to the role. The Mouse King is a cool villain but as he's played like a bumbling idiot most of the time, he lacks the elegance of the Mouse King seen in the Barishnokov version or the absolute menace of the seven-headed monster created by Hoffman and made famous by Maurice Sendak. Still, there is much to enjoy about this film even though it will not really achieve its status as a classic.

Certainly wasn't the last animated film with Peter O' Toole that was dominated by rodents, lol.
October 16, 2008
This is a movie that stands out in my mind because I remember watching this so many times on the Disney Channel when I was little. Not bad, then again I like anything with Kiefer Sutherland.
September 13, 2008
fairy tale of my childhood
August 29, 2008
I loved this movie when I was young.
August 5, 2008
every single christmas we would rent this at my grandma's, so its fun and nostalgic.
August 5, 2008