Oasis Reviews

• Jan 04, 2019

Absolutely not. This man rapes this disabled woman in her home, and the story proceeds with them falling in love afterwards. I could not and refuse to continue watching after that. Heinous, unnecessary, and traumatizing. I get they're trying to show this love story of two marginalized people (I don't believe the male lead to be marginalized whatsoever, as a convicted rapist and murderer), but honestly, a rape as a plot point for romance, much less any kind of narrative, is absolutely vile.

• Jan 14, 2016

This is daring stuff. Deeply touching. I was utterly stunned.

This is daring stuff. Deeply touching. I was utterly stunned.

• Oct 20, 2015

(Wrong description up above) Oasis is unrelenting, unapologetic, and uncomfortable. It tells the off kilter romance between a socially shy ex-con and a woman with cerebral palsy. This sounds like a romance that cannot exist, but it does. It well directed and written with a steady heart, so the movie is endearing and never schmaltzy. It ends exactly how you'd imagine, with society and the families not being able to understand. Some enjoy the optimistic ending, but I did not see any dialogue between the families to show how they misconstrued everything. Oasis is an eye opening critique on how society views ex-cons and the physically disabled, wrapped around a sweet Romeo and Juliet like romance, and its solid.

• Jun 16, 2015

This is an incredible film. A thoroughly unlikeable, social misfit falls into a relationship with a girl suffering from extreme cerebral palsy. The film takes it's time building just how unsympathetic the main character is, including starting the relationship with what one could only call a sexual assault, before taking you many places you do not expect to go. It manages to blend stark realism with some amazing and touching fantasy sequences. In the end, it's a testament to the power of feeling accepted by at least one person. Startling and brave.

• Dec 15, 2014

Can a movie be patient, subtle and graceful, while ALSO being a roller coaster of emotions? Yep. This is proof. Oasis, the story of a troubled young man and his budding relationship with a young girl with cerebral palsy, eventually goes where you want it to, but not before dragging you through the muck. With elements of The Fall and Benny & Joon, Oasis is melancholic, stylish, and unnervingly romantic world cinema.

• Nov 10, 2014

Maybe the strangest love story I've ever seen, between a mentally challenged man and a severely disabled woman. For the first half of the movie, I had no idea if the actress was really disabled or not. This is Korean cinema at its most, uh, unique.

• Jun 03, 2014

As the film moves from being surreal to being...unreal, my enthusiasm, I gotta admit, flagged a little bit during the second half of the film. Like Secret Sunshine and Poetry, there is a strong sense of comic that balances out rather heavy, tragic premises. So the last sequence was supposed to be terribly, dramatically tragic because the two lead characters were screaming but cannot reach each other. Yet, I could not keep myself from laughing when she resorted to cheesy, dancey K-Pop songs to express herself, while he was sitting on a tree, cutting the branches like a naughty child. Then, maybe, the reason why I prefer Poetry was because its ending was decidedly sad.

• Apr 12, 2014

what did i just see?

what did i just see?

• Aug 24, 2013

love is everywhere with everyway for everyone ! hard but very emotional movie.

love is everywhere with everyway for everyone ! hard but very emotional movie.

• Mar 04, 2013

The maturity of Lee Chang-dong is impressive as a novice director. The film is great. The actors are amazing, specially Moon So-ri. Though the end is a little bit disturbing as it is quite immoral and puts a good question about severe disability rights and understanding into the mix. Very powerful. Not a must see but at the top of Lee Chang-dong films along side Peppermint Candy and Poetry.