The Object of My Affection - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Object of My Affection Reviews

August 23, 2016
A light-hearted comedy that explores the same question WHEN HARRY MET SALLY asks, and more, with intricate romantic entanglements, more players and a detached sense of realism.
June 9, 2016
a decent film with some great comedic parts and heartfelt moments.
February 14, 2016
I'm sure that Anniston and Rudd agreed never to speak of this again.
January 27, 2016
I heard such good things about this one, but I really didn't think it was anything special.
½ May 15, 2015
Aniston and Rudd try real hard but this dog just will not hunt.
March 26, 2015
ok, like meh? but it's hard not to like Paul Rudd. So half the stars.
½ January 2, 2015
1/2/2015: Just an ok movie. I don't think I would watch twice though.
November 27, 2014
I've forgotten what a charming little movie this is with a charming little cast and remember how much it effected me when I first saw it in 1998. My, how things have changed!
½ October 11, 2014
Perhaps not a masterpiece, but still an original, and sometimes even subversive film in a soft, low key kind of way. It is nice to see a mainstream production explore the complexity of non-traditional gender roles and sexual identities.
½ October 9, 2014
Anniston Played Quite A Manipulative Woman, Bit Naive.. Found Her Frustrating To Watch. The Other Go No-Where Stories, Tied Together With Fluffy String Just Furthered That Frustration At A 'Feel Good' Story Trying To Hard & Looking Nowhere Special..Ends Up A Lame Duck Romance.
½ September 12, 2014
Il est réellement dommage de voir que The Object of my Affection, une comédie romantique un peu plus intelligente et intéressante que la moyenne sur le papier, soit un film d'un ennui aussi mortel que déprimant. Alors que l'histoire entre Jennifer Aniston et Paul Rudd, pas géniaux comme dans Wanderlust 14 ans plus tard, devrait être passionnante, elle est perclue de longueurs et de passages obligés. Le supporting cast (Alan Alda, Allison Janney...) ne peut réellement sauver un film d'une réalisation aussi incompétente...
August 23, 2014
This movie is infused with the classic love triangle debacle but it's important to note that everyone is not playing for the same team. This illustrates that people can be truly happy being if they are true to themselves.
August 21, 2014
Endearing and thoughtful movie about love of all kinds, responsibilities and perceptions. Nice connection between Jennifer Anniston and Paul Rudd.
July 14, 2014
Jennifer Aniston at her best. May not be the best movie you'll ever watch, but I doubt you'll regret watching this one.
June 13, 2014
Paul Rudd played a gay man? I might just have to rent this one.
June 11, 2014
I love both of them, but I didn't care much for this movie. I thought it was slow-moving, boring, and a little corny.
½ May 26, 2014
The cast does their best and while Paul Rudd and Aniston pull off believable characters, the film feels contrived and dated. It's not terrible by any means, but nothing worth going out of your way either.
½ May 20, 2014
Jennifer Aniston made some interesting choices in taking movie roles in the nineties, before she became queen of the agitating awful rom-coms. This indie comedy, about a social worker and her gay roommate, shows them having a strained relationship while also dealing with their own love lives. I'm torn on whether or not I genuinely like this film, because the characters are enjoyable to watch, and the way they maneuver between the blurred lines of sexuality is interesting, but the way sexual orientation is depicted leaves me cold. So many films have tried to characterize sexuality as a spectrum that involves men who are gay experimenting with women to a point of domesticity. This was done successfully on "Will and Grace" and the same concept was exploited in "Gigli" but to an outside observer it rarely makes sense. Here, at least, it's clearly defined that George has no interest in a sexual relationship with Nina, and just wants to help her raise her child, but Nina is unaware, which tilts perspective. This film handles its characters' motivations rather well and shows the dysfunction in their relationship with aplomb, but it would be great for once to see a gay man and straight woman be friends without the added drama of sexual tension. Otherwise it's a sweet little film that explores modern day relationships and their many layers.