Occupation: Dreamland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Occupation: Dreamland Reviews

June 30, 2016
6/30/16 Sundance Doc Club

Another look at how screwed up our policy to invade Iraq was. Does a pretty good job of showing the frustration our soldiers endure and the hate we generate among the populace by kicking in their doors in the middle of the night, how would we feel if that was happening in our cities. Soldiers have a duty and a mission given to them by politicians and they do a great job doing that mission. Politicians should be required to see movies like this before they decide to invade a country.
½ August 3, 2011
was expecting a documentary on the fall of Falluja, made by filmmakers who just happened to be in the ill-fated Iraqi city when it was obliterated by U.S. Marines in the spring of 2004. But that's not at all what this film is about. Instead, Occupation: Dreamland is an intimate account of a particular group of soldiers in a specific time and place in the Iraq war. So don't walk into the theater expecting to have all of your questions about Iraq answered. But you will learn about a handful of American soldiers and how they perceive the war and their particular situation. Most of them understand that this isn't a war for liberation. They were smart enough to realize that this war, like all war, is about money and control. Still, these are hardworking and honest soldiers, and as such, they'll faithfully follow their orders and execute their duties, whether they believe in what they're doing or not. So no, you won't see a first-hand account of the destruction of Falluja, but you will meet eight or so men who will give you a deeper understanding of the American soldiers today.
November 13, 2008
interesting - worth seeing. formally mediocre. lots of gaps.
½ September 21, 2008
Alright documentary, but not the greatest. Shown through the eyes of some young, regular U.S. soldiers, asking the soldiers I would argue pretty dumb questions like 'why are you fighting'? The soldiers respond with answers like 'I don't even know why I'm fighting...' It gives a bad look on the whole war, and the answers need to be taken with a grain of salt. If you are young, and don't have another job, or college education, or much else going on, of course you're going to probably be bewildered, maybe disillusioned about fighting in a foreign country far from home. The reality is though, there is a mission, and the mission is above the individual. Soldiers have similar feelings the whole world over, but that doesn't mean the war is pointless, it means the soldiers are just voicing their personal thoughts. It should be taken like it is, not as a statement that the war is bad, Bush is stupid, or anything else political. Unfortunately, you get the feeling that this whole movie is basically saying just that.
September 5, 2008
The documentary is fair and poignant, and doesn't rely on explosions. You feel for the people involved, even though they are far from the best sort. It has very good editing and indicates a dedicated post-production. There are a lot of elements of artistry in the film, and the parallels are exploited. This film does a good job of combining its artistic and temporal aspects. It doesn't say much that isn't known, however. I still recommend it, though, if you have some spare time.
August 16, 2008
An intimate and thought provoking look at soldiers lives in Iraq. The filmmaker does a good job letting the soldiers speak their piece and views on life in Iraq and in the Army in general. Well worth the time.
July 8, 2008
The filmmakers had a high level of access to the U.S. Army's 82nd Airborne out of North Carolina, as they ran missions in Al-Fallujah, Irag. This is an honest and harrowing documentary following America's Army in a time when many are unsure of the mission they are on.
March 17, 2008
Decent documentary on Falluja, at the time, the hot bed of insurgent activity in Iraq. From the movie it's pretty clear why they had to call in the marines to clear them out.
March 12, 2008
I saw Redacted first and then saw this...seems like DePalma might have seen this first
January 22, 2008
It's a wonder the US Army allowed this to be made. If these people invaded my country I would be the first in line with a rocket launcher too. How can you win people's hearts and minds when you are systematically dismantling their society?
½ January 1, 2008
It's a good documentary (not the most balanced one but maybe the thoughts of soldiers are really that similar which also wouldn't be too surprising) giving some sight about the war in Iraq in a perspective of a regular soldiers fighting there.
½ December 4, 2007
a great, honest look at the war from the average middle american post- high school US Soldiers point of view. not politics, not narration, just the soldiers doing and saying what they want. I Recommend it for anyone who wonders about the war and how they would feel. for most americans this is as close to the fighting as you will get
November 8, 2007
Mildly interesting, not entirely hard hitting, but with fairly endearing subjects.
½ October 20, 2007
A very nice film, especially for a documentary, but unfortunately it is a bit biased. It's very obvious what the filmmakers want you to think, and I wish it had been a bit more balanced. Luckily for me I went to a screening which had a Q&A with the man who was in charge of protecting these filmmakers which was a very cool experience as well.
September 8, 2007
A decent documentary on policing missions in Iraq - for those who are interested in the kinds of conflict we were dealing with for the first few years.
September 8, 2007
A decent documentary that covers a lot of the same ground as about a dozen other documentaries that are all shot and presented the same. Some of the reenlistment stuff is really interesting though.
½ November 18, 2005
The documentary is fair and poignant, and doesn't rely on explosions. You feel for the people involved, even though they are far from the best sort. It has very good editing and indicates a dedicated post-production. There are a lot of elements of artistry in the film, and the parallels are exploited. This film does a good job of combining its artistic and temporal aspects. It doesn't say much that isn't known, however, so it won't be winning any awards, most likely. I still recommend it, though, if you have some spare time.