Ocean Heaven (Haiyang tiantang) Reviews

• Aug 06, 2016

Jet Li and the young actor who plays his son become the characters. Deeply moving, but not manipulative. You can't see them acting. Bring a box of Kleenex.

Ian W Super Reviewer
    Apr 02, 2015

This film discussed autism in China and shows how a father struggles to deal with his son's autism whilst also battling demons of his own. What was refreshing the most was seeing Jet Li portray a serious role with no martial arts involved at all. Heartwarming and touching in places. Highly recommended!

• Jul 01, 2014

Dad is a sea turtle. We're sea turtles. Let's go swimming. Wang is a widowed father that is raising his autistic son. Unfortunately, Wang can't swim. It's unfortunate because his son can swim like a fish. The local aquarium lets his boy swim in the tanks with the ocean life and he finds this activity his own utopia. As Wang gets older he starts becoming ill and is slowly dying. He teaches his son life skills, gets him a job, and teaches him how to live a relatively normal life. Despite not being able to swim, Wang finds a way to incorporate those moments of utopia with a father's love. "He was born into the wrong body and became a man. That's why he's autistic." Xia Lu Xue delivers Ocean Heaven in his directorial debut. The storyline is compelling and very interesting. The character evolution is beautiful and I adored the father/son relationship. I felt the script, scenes, and interactions between characters were all perfect. The cast delivers excellent performances and includes Jet Li, Zhang Wen, Yuan Yuan Gao, and Ran Chen. "You're wanting the same fate too." I grabbed this off Netflix because it starred Jet Li. This actually reminded me of his performance in Unleashed. I loved his acting and the delivery of the father. I felt his struggles and desires for success were endearing and compelling. This is a wonderful movie that is definitely an unexpected must see. "I want to swim." Grade: A+

• Jun 21, 2014

This is the reason why i love foreign films

This is the reason why i love foreign films

• Feb 24, 2014

I was bawling from beginning to end. There should be more films about autism and how it affects the entire family. Beautiful film almost poetic.

• Nov 14, 2013

Lackluster martial arts film, but very heartfelt father/son bromance.

Lackluster martial arts film, but very heartfelt father/son bromance.

• Oct 08, 2013

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 (2010) Ocean Haven/ Ocean heaven/ Ocean Paradise (In Mandarin with English subtitles) DRAMA As a fan of Jet Lee or Jet Li's martial art movies, this is quite a transition for him, but at the same time I was never a fan of movies about people suffering from down syndrome or people with mental disorder films since they're the easiest thing to do if anyone were to become an actor as I always thought even before seeing Lars Von Trier's controversial film "The Idiots" saying that it involves more peculiar movements and less thinking dialogue. Besides "The Idiots", the only other films that demand recognition in terms of less dialogue acting roles are probably "The Miracle Worker" with Anne Bancroft and "My Left Foot" which their minds are intact but their bodies are not. The reason I say this is because everybody regardless who you're can act or verbally talk irresponsibly and carelessly once in awhile including me. Therefore, down syndrome or other mental disorder films can on some level or another can be an everyday occurrence and is not hard to do saying that anyone can do it- just be self absorbed, selfish and inconsiderate of others while allowing others to help you. Anyways, I had to see this movie because I like Jet Lee and stereotypically I didn't know he can be in a drama film. The film is written and directed by Xue Xiao Lu which may be a personal film based on actual experiences. At the beginning, Jet Lee as Wang Xingchang or as the characters in the movie call him Old Wang ties a rope to his son's leg along with his while sitting on a boat for it's very evident that his teenage son doesn't have any normal tendencies. Old Wang jumps into the water from his boat for the intention of killing himself as well as his only teenage son his name is Dafu. We assume at this point that it's one of those movies which the beginning is the end. But that is not the case at all for his son, Dafu saves him since he must be an excellent swimmer. The next scene has both of them coming into their apartment, and are not wet anymore but smell quite badly as acknowledged by his young female next door neighbor who's just stopping by to drop off some eats. And it was at this point he reveals to the audience that his son is autistic. That the reason he was attempting to kill himself by means of drowning along with his son was because he is dying of cancer for his son is unable to take care of himself and felt that it would be unfair to him if he couldn't get the proper care that he needs. Now because the setting takes place somewhere China, we get to witness some of the customs regarding how autistic people are treated in some areas. For instance, Old Wang is allowed to take his son to work which is maintaining the 'ocean resort' which includes janitorial and electrical, while his son is allowed to swim in the pool with the sea animals which is where he learned to become a great swimmer. This movie makes the possibility that although it's possible to take your child with you when you go to work, it's not possible to find the proper care he needs if that person happens to be the only parent who can look after him and that it'll be much harder if that specific parent is not around anymore. What I liked about this film is that it's not so much about the son as much as it's about whether or not one can find the proper care for him if anything were to happen to the parent which can be any parents dilemma. For it's generally harder to look after someone who is mentally disabled than it would be to look after a cat or a dog which owners don't have to worry too much about them all the time in comparison to a child who's suffering from mental disabilities. What prevented me to like this film even more is the expected cliché scenes of Old Wang training his autistic son to cook for himself and so forth... for it's different with each person and in my opinion didn't need it since the gov't can also provide some of the help too. 3 out of 4 stars

• Sep 28, 2013

Dad is hero to autistic son. Beautifully crafted, awesom photography. A must see movie for all parents.

• Aug 01, 2013

Powerful and moving, this is a great movie, with a surprisingly great performance by Jet Li.

• Jul 20, 2013

A fine, simple, straightforward film with some sweet, sad as well as heartwarming moments. Jet Li wasn't great in his first non-action, dramatic role here but he did an admiral job and he had a fairly strong supporting cast (with some surprisingly cute female cast that all performed well also). Though cliched and predictable, it was still a strong and lovely story (that almost made me tear up a bit near the end) and worth the watch, especially since it was done on only a $1 million dollar budget and Li and also other cast and crew I believe worked on this film without pay in order to promote charity and support for autism.