The Octagon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Octagon Reviews

½ October 11, 2016
The octagon 1980, a lot of very well choreographed martial arts fight scenes, and epic confrintation between Norris and the henchman and theChuck's laughable inner thoughts whisper dialogue. What more could you ask for?? All in all not as good as Good Guys Wear Black 1978 but a step in the right direction for Norris with the higher production value and all as well as an increase in action. Solid Norris flick.
August 5, 2015
The dialogue is like an out of control version of mad libs.
March 18, 2015
Having Lee Van Cleef in the film already makes it better than any of the previous Chuck Norris films. And Chuck Norris gets to fight ninjas this time.
November 2, 2014
The Octagon is one in the long line of Chuck Norris movies that starting popping up from the end of the 1970's through to the 1990's. In this entry, Chuck Norris is a bodyguard who must protect a young woman and save his friend from the clutches of the ninja gang that's out to rid them both, as well as face his long, lost brother in combat. So yeah, there's a lot going on in this movie. While it's probably not a top tier Chuck Norris movie, it's certainly entertaining. You can look at it a couple of ways too. You can say it's an enjoyable bad movie, and have a few laughs with it, or you can enjoy it as just another action movie, if you're into those. The movie certainly gets good when we finally arrive at the moment that the movie's title bares, but overall, it's not the best and not the worst. It's enjoyable enough, but I think I prefer something like Silent Rage, as far as Chuck Norris movies go.
September 17, 2014
Norris's voice over is comedy gold. Nearly soiled meself on numerous ocasions. The Irish fella at the training camp was the balls. Van Cleef is not in it much and the final showdown is a bit of a let down. That aside text book Norris.
April 25, 2014
Pretty bad. campy, but not quite enough to be good. Crazy ninja stuff that I was never sold on.
March 18, 2014
Another Classic Norris Flick, Which Is Often Overlooked. This Top-Heavy Plotted Film About Terrorism, See's Norris Take On Ninjas Who Are Training Terrorists. This Martial Arts Vigilante Thriller See's Norris Do Battle With Martial Artists Tadashi Yamashita (Rising Sun) & Richard Norton (Mr. Nice Guy). The Action Choreography Was Good & The Fight Scene Between Norris & Norton Was Great To Watch. Sadly The Film As A Whole Dragged On A Bit. Supporting Cast Includes, Lee Van Cleef (For A Few Dollars More).
March 16, 2014
Terrible but in a so bad it's good kind of way. Never seen a Chuck Norris movie before and now I know why he can't act for shit and he's not even that likeable. Pretty interesting the octagon from UFC was inspired by this movie.
½ January 26, 2014
This is the second Chuck Norris movie I've actually watched and it actually has a cool concept that would be nice for a good remake. This movie itself wasn't bad doh.
½ January 1, 2014
A great movie and a terrible movie for the New Year's Day. The great one is of course "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" (1947).

If they could make "The Octagon" more like a B-movie and lessen the seriousness of things, it could at least be better.
½ November 22, 2013
Never been a big Chuck Norris fan. I've always thought he was a horrible actor. He has the same facial expression for every emotion. The movie plays more like a '80's Action-Adventure show, like "The A Team" than a feature film though. It is watchable.
October 30, 2013
"Against the ninja!" Fans of "Miami Connection" and Chuck Norris should love this. The 80's ninja craze started here. The voice overs and ending are sweet!
½ October 24, 2013
No one wants to admit ninjas still exist--"If you're seeing ninjas, then you're seeing ghosts"--but personal freedom for Norris comes only by infiltrating a terrorist camp operated by ninjas. I liked Chuck's voiceovers, and the final fight scene. Norris started to establish himself as a bona fide action star here.
October 17, 2013
1hr 43minutes and not a single octagon!
½ September 3, 2013
The martial arts expert and retired karate champ Scott James (Chuck Norris) is approached by a wealthy woman named Justine (Karen Carlson) who needs a bodyguard to protect her from of a band of ninja killers using their skills in terrorist attacks. Reluctant at first to take the job, he reconsiders when he learns the gang is headed by his longtime arch rival and brother Seikura (Tadashi Yamashita). Scott has unfinished business with Seikura and nothing will stop him to take care of his old rival...

"The Octagon" is a standard Chuck Norris martial arts actioneer and one of his classic 80īs movies that propelled him into stardom. Heīs as wooden as he can be delivering his lines with not much emotional value. The action sequences are very 80īs in the setup, meaning everything has a stuntman label on it. Itīs cartoon violence and you only miss the speech bubbles. The script and editing leaves all sorts of things to wish for, but then again this is a B-movie action flick from 1980, you canīt ask for too much. I do love the whispering voice over from Norris, posing as his inner thoughts. : ) However, "The Octagon" is merely a nostalgic action trip in 2013.
½ July 31, 2013
Well...one star for a Chuck Norris film is like a million stars for everyone else. In actual fact this was very reminiscent of the classic kung-fu films of the 70s, in all the right ways, but it was very light on for action and really anything of interest. Norris is free of any charisma but somehow he managed to carve out a career. Perhaps he is in on the joke. I don't know. Not the worst in his back catalogue I'm sure!
July 17, 2013
Apparently all the actors graduated from the Mount Rushmore School of Acting.
May 28, 2013
68%

"They wern't terrorists, they were ninja."-Scott James (Chuck Norris)

Ninjas are cool, I some day wish to become a master ninja, but I dislike ninjas who can be taken down it two moves or be shot.
May 10, 2013
This movie is 80's action awesome... Chuck vs. Ninjas and mercenaries... this was when the Chuck was at his best
½ April 9, 2013
Okay, so what I'm realizing as I start to dig into Chuck Norris' filmography is that I just haven't seen any of this stuff before, which kind of surprises me. That said, this was pretty fucking silly, with Norris corn-ball echo-y voice-over really driving home how silly certain scenes are.

Pass, unless you have buddies to poke fun at it with, or you are more of a fan than I appear to be.