Odd Thomas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Odd Thomas Reviews

July 21, 2016
loved this movie wish they would do the rest of the series
July 14, 2016
Half horror, half thriller, and it's a good mix of both.
July 12, 2016
A very lighthearted approach to some very grim subject matter. But it works.
July 9, 2016
Excellent movie, definitely worth more than the 34%
July 5, 2016
short on odd or indie and high on convention
July 3, 2016
A bit sophomoric in places but also creative, with humor, suspense and emotional range. Willem Dafoe is a pleasure, as always and Anton Yelchin is also solid. A cut above average.
June 29, 2016
A bit too much narrative exposition, the dialogue doesn't particularly feel natural in most situations, and some acting is a but stiff... yet, the story itself is interesting, the creature design is... interesting, and it maintained my attention throughout. The late Anton Yelchin did a great job as well.

The tonal shifts worked well, adding some humor and light-hearted undertones to an ultimately heavy movie. I feel it has been too harshly criticized. It was entertaining and I'd easily recommend it or watch it again.
June 29, 2016
I absolutely loved the books ! This movie not so much.
June 25, 2016
I really liked this one, it's much better than the reviews let on. First of all, I always like a good hooror-comedy, but this is well done for the genre. From Stephen Sommers who directed the "Mummy" series, this one has style and is funny, scary, moving and entertaining. Anton Yelchin was talented for sure, and he shines in this film. If you like the genre, then ignore the critics and check it out!
June 23, 2016
I will start with a recommendation: "go watch it". This movie is definitely worth seeing. I did not red the book , and this movie truly surprised me. The movie unfolds very dynamically. It is not a slow paced movie for sure. The story is also very interesting containing just enough elements to surprise and entertain at the same time. The ending is also done very nicely. The effects are not the best ever seen , but sufficient. The acting was also very good. I admit some of the suporting characters felt a bit dull and may not really believable. But it works. In a nutshell , go watch it and be amazed how good a movie can turn out even if you never heard of it.
June 20, 2016
Odd Thomas is the kind of movie that has such an intriguing premise, but just can't quite capitalize on it upon execution. Based on the first of a series of novels, the film almost plays out like a more comedic version of Donnie Darko if that titular protagonist was a sort of local vigilante, with elements of The Sixth Sense sprinkled in as well. Unfortunately, it just can't tap into the same sort of creativity that made both of those films so memorable. The plot is often nonsensical, and scenes revealing key elements of the mysterious plot don't add up as clearly as they probably should. However, the way that the worldbuilding and rules are already established in this universe is a nice change of pace: this leads to lots of voiceover narration, sure, but it's handled well. The visual effects are iffy: it's understandable for all of the creatures to be CG creations, and they look fine, but the constant broken windows and blood spurts that are also CGI are simply distracting.

Where Odd Thomas really shines is in its characters, namely Odd Thomas and Stormy Llewellyn. Amidst all of the supernatural forces at work in this story, the driving force behind this movie is this relationship, and the film handles it very well. The two characters work well with one another, and their relationship is believable. While Addison Timlin doesn't give a particularly goundbreaking performance, she shares great chemistry with Anton Yelchin, who is delightful as always. Yelchin finds a perfect mix of deadbeat humor and seriousness, and he breathes a lot of humility and relatability into his character. In terms of other performances, the only other one of note is Willem Dafoe, who is solid in his limited screentime.

For all of its faults, Odd Thomas isn't a bad time. The convoluted plot will be a turn off for lots of people, but if you can manage to tolerate the illogical nature of many of the plot points, the film is worth watching for the character relationships and Anton Yelchin's solid performance.
June 19, 2016
They shouldn't have made it 'tongue in cheek'- it needed to be real and scary.
June 14, 2016
This movie is by far better than a 5.2 out of 10. Solid 7.7 out of 10 if you ask me.
½ June 13, 2016
Odd Thomas is like watching a mystery backwards, with emotional (but low) tones and entertaining moments. The movie could have used a little more humor to take down some of the bleakness, and the twist ending-s play on a little too long. The title character is fun, but the other characters work well too.
May 30, 2016
In a film that takes 30 minutes to gain a plot, the bar was set low about 35 minutes in. Frankly, I didn't know how anything fit together until act 3, and then I knew how it would all play out. They'd keep adding criminals, to lengthen the mediocre plot. One more main protagonist would meet their end, because he's a seer and they need a twist. Oh, and there were certain scenes that were blatant foreshadowing, and then the scenes that pay off the build up were omitted. The main character named Odd, had little to no personality, and had many powers that sped up the second act. To speak about the second act, it was like 20 minutes, which is fine IF SOMETHING PAYED OFF FROM ACT 3! Feel free to watch this film, but don't get your hopes up.
May 28, 2016
Love that the author chose to do it the right way & NOT hollywood way. Yes they changed a few things but overall very good movie. If you know the books then you will want Netflix or a cable movie channel to jump in & do the other books!
May 25, 2016
Odd Thomas makes you experience an American fashion of movies. Although I liked the ending very much.
May 21, 2016
Funny how critics said this movie wasn't very good but audience members actually thought it was entertaining. Well I thought it was pretty good. What do critics know? It's with a watch. Maybe even a repeat watch.
½ May 21, 2016
An interesting take on the supernatural ability genre. I enjoyed this but it suffered from being too low budget which is a shame. The ideas were interesting but they just needed to be better executed.
May 16, 2016
Disappointing adaptation of the novel, hit only the basic plot points and the acting was... not good. Especially from the actress playing Stormy. That line delivery... wow.