Odd Thomas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Odd Thomas Reviews

June 23, 2016
I will start with a recommendation: "go watch it". This movie is definitely worth seeing. I did not red the book , and this movie truly surprised me. The movie unfolds very dynamically. It is not a slow paced movie for sure. The story is also very interesting containing just enough elements to surprise and entertain at the same time. The ending is also done very nicely. The effects are not the best ever seen , but sufficient. The acting was also very good. I admit some of the suporting characters felt a bit dull and may not really believable. But it works. In a nutshell , go watch it and be amazed how good a movie can turn out even if you never heard of it.
June 20, 2016
Odd Thomas is the kind of movie that has such an intriguing premise, but just can't quite capitalize on it upon execution. Based on the first of a series of novels, the film almost plays out like a more comedic version of Donnie Darko if that titular protagonist was a sort of local vigilante, with elements of The Sixth Sense sprinkled in as well. Unfortunately, it just can't tap into the same sort of creativity that made both of those films so memorable. The plot is often nonsensical, and scenes revealing key elements of the mysterious plot don't add up as clearly as they probably should. However, the way that the worldbuilding and rules are already established in this universe is a nice change of pace: this leads to lots of voiceover narration, sure, but it's handled well. The visual effects are iffy: it's understandable for all of the creatures to be CG creations, and they look fine, but the constant broken windows and blood spurts that are also CGI are simply distracting.

Where Odd Thomas really shines is in its characters, namely Odd Thomas and Stormy Llewellyn. Amidst all of the supernatural forces at work in this story, the driving force behind this movie is this relationship, and the film handles it very well. The two characters work well with one another, and their relationship is believable. While Addison Timlin doesn't give a particularly goundbreaking performance, she shares great chemistry with Anton Yelchin, who is delightful as always. Yelchin finds a perfect mix of deadbeat humor and seriousness, and he breathes a lot of humility and relatability into his character. In terms of other performances, the only other one of note is Willem Dafoe, who is solid in his limited screentime.

For all of its faults, Odd Thomas isn't a bad time. The convoluted plot will be a turn off for lots of people, but if you can manage to tolerate the illogical nature of many of the plot points, the film is worth watching for the character relationships and Anton Yelchin's solid performance.
June 19, 2016
They shouldn't have made it 'tongue in cheek'- it needed to be real and scary.
June 14, 2016
This movie is by far better than a 5.2 out of 10. Solid 7.7 out of 10 if you ask me.
½ June 13, 2016
Odd Thomas is like watching a mystery backwards, with emotional (but low) tones and entertaining moments. The movie could have used a little more humor to take down some of the bleakness, and the twist ending-s play on a little too long. The title character is fun, but the other characters work well too.
May 30, 2016
In a film that takes 30 minutes to gain a plot, the bar was set low about 35 minutes in. Frankly, I didn't know how anything fit together until act 3, and then I knew how it would all play out. They'd keep adding criminals, to lengthen the mediocre plot. One more main protagonist would meet their end, because he's a seer and they need a twist. Oh, and there were certain scenes that were blatant foreshadowing, and then the scenes that pay off the build up were omitted. The main character named Odd, had little to no personality, and had many powers that sped up the second act. To speak about the second act, it was like 20 minutes, which is fine IF SOMETHING PAYED OFF FROM ACT 3! Feel free to watch this film, but don't get your hopes up.
May 28, 2016
Love that the author chose to do it the right way & NOT hollywood way. Yes they changed a few things but overall very good movie. If you know the books then you will want Netflix or a cable movie channel to jump in & do the other books!
May 25, 2016
Odd Thomas makes you experience an American fashion of movies. Although I liked the ending very much.
May 21, 2016
Funny how critics said this movie wasn't very good but audience members actually thought it was entertaining. Well I thought it was pretty good. What do critics know? It's with a watch. Maybe even a repeat watch.
½ May 21, 2016
An interesting take on the supernatural ability genre. I enjoyed this but it suffered from being too low budget which is a shame. The ideas were interesting but they just needed to be better executed.
May 16, 2016
Disappointing adaptation of the novel, hit only the basic plot points and the acting was... not good. Especially from the actress playing Stormy. That line delivery... wow.
April 30, 2016
I liked this movie, but I have read all of the books so I had a better understanding of his character.
April 5, 2016
It's as if M. Night Shamalayan wrote an after school special.
February 26, 2016
Odd Thomas manages to power fairly successfully through the first 20 minutes or so based on the wonky intensity of Anton Yelchin, but then quickly sinks into a swamp of risible dialogue, silly jump scares and telegraphed tropes.
February 23, 2016
That was a very cool movie, really enjoyed it
February 21, 2016
Awesome movie! Great special effects!
February 17, 2016
Very well made movie
½ February 15, 2016
Wow Movie surprised me for sure, really liked and and would be cool if it had spun a series, like the whole idea and concept and characters
February 7, 2016
The most annoying thing about this film is the promise of how good it was going to be from the get-go. It was so well set up & completely original with fab casting. Sadly massive let-down from halfway through onwards. The creators should turn this year into a fast-paced TV series. It would be kick ass!
February 4, 2016
Seeming very nearly like the setup piece for a imminent TV series, this film creatively introduces a hero who uses his supernatural gifts to fight crime, which pretty much sounds like a CW offering come to think of it. It relies on quite a lot of CGI for the action but, while seldom boring, it also fails to completely engage. We are given Characterization Light so as to speed us along to the next action sequence lest we get bored, left with the feeling that we'll get more in depth stuff once the series starts up. Oh well.