Of Love and Shadows - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Of Love and Shadows Reviews

½ December 5, 2015
Of Love and Shadows is a decent film. It is about Irene who is a magazine editor living under the shadow of the Pinochet dictatorship in Chile. Antonio Banderas and Jennifer Connelly give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Betty Kaplan did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and romance.
November 10, 2014
good historical drama
July 21, 2014
Starts slowly but builds interest as a newly paired sheltered journalist (Jennifer Connelly) and subversive photographer (Antonio Banderas) who works "in the shadows" uncover military atrocities in 1970s Chile. He comes off as a real prick in the opening scenes but the story develops in a way that makes their close working relationship turn into a believable love affair with both reacting to a desperate need to cherish life amidst a country full of tragic stories under the domineering thumb of a fascist government. Novelty to see Connelly cast as a Chilean, she's positively gorgeous and her accent is not bad at all, it's the Spanish & South American actors speaking English with heavy accents that can be hard to understand! The stars share a passionate love scene in the mountains outside an abandoned mine, now that would be one hearty good-lookin' baby.
½ June 11, 2014
I wanted to like this film, as I do both of the actors here, and I'm always against dictatorships and governmental brutality, but this film was just too slow and sometimes confusing. I'm sure the book was better.
½ May 2, 2012
A boring, never ending melodramatic lullaby!
March 12, 2012
This was an excellent movie and I can't believe it received such a low rating. It led me to do some research on this very dark and violent time in Chile. I would rate it a 5 star.
November 29, 2011
It would be popular if it was good.
September 22, 2011
I'm shocked this movie was given such low ratings. The performances were great, the settings and characters well rounded and believable. Banderas and Connelly are two of the most beautiful people in the movies today. The story line had me on the edge of my seat. Yes, it was told in a "laid back" sort of dreamy style, but it is a balance between a love story and political intrigue. Perhaps those that gave it low ratings were looking for a bit more blood and gore? More shoot -em up?
April 5, 2011
quite disappointing...good thing Banderas was good in this movie...
½ February 5, 2011
so desirble..:) hot couple
September 25, 2010
I loved this movie! Antonio was hot, great story line, credible characters!
½ October 12, 2009
The story, i.e., the book, is great. The movie has plenty of flaws. All the stars I kindly gave go to Antonio Banderas. ;)
August 11, 2009
Human but way too crude, dry & spoon-feeding hard.
August 11, 2009
Human but way too crude, dry & spoon-feeding hard.
½ March 18, 2009
A well told story, Connelly is absolute in her subtlety of portraying the innocent being told and shown the realities of these people. I agree it should have been in Spanish it would have added another dimension, to the registration of the reality, to the story. I also think that the gradual and TOTAL love that was experienced by these two was flawless. VERY EARTHY AND REAL The old man the farther was priceless. I too was waiting for more violence or scenes of memory of aggression of violence; but the anticipation of the knowledge of horrors they were uncovering worked ok. I think it could have had an extra half hour; i feel the ending was a little hurried in comparison to the rest of the movie which moves gradually.
August 10, 2008
I haven't read the book either, but I liked the movie very much.
July 20, 2008
Antonio Banderas & Jennifer Connelly really did a great performance.
½ June 3, 2008
I haven't read the book but the movie had a delicate plot which was well handled, not too long, pretty realistic. The leads obviously made the movie a whole lot better. It did miss a degree of aggression that one would expect from a movie of this sort.
May 6, 2008
Okay, I am a huge fan of Isabel Allende, but this adaptation of one of her books is simply laughable. First and foremost, it makes no sense to have it shot in the English language. Second, the accented English is all over the map, literally. And, finally, it is truly laughably written and directed. It was painful. Yes, despite all that, it's quite an interesting story...if only something else worked.
December 17, 2007
Buena adaptacion, sincera aunque no es una gran gran pelicula.. preferi el libro