Off the Map - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Off the Map Reviews

½ January 25, 2010
This was one weird movie. So weird that I felt that the characters were ready to start sharing their anti-depressant drugs even to the audience. The acting was great (the little girl was a little annoying at times, but all the adults were the true stars).
January 20, 2010
This was a very solid film. To see Sam Elliott take on a very dramatic, very personal role is a thing of beauty!! He completely held his own with Joan Allen and they were both brilliant. Throw J.K. Simmons into the mix and it was sheer genius. I was also equally impressed with Valentina De Angelis. A brilliant performance. This movie gives me a chance to like Campbell Scott again.
January 19, 2010
"It was inescapable, my Father's depression, like some fumigator's mist filling our lungs. It came to be the focal point of our lives that summer..."

A story of a family living "off the map" trying to cope with an extremely depressed husband and father, played by Sam Elliott. All their lives become strangely affected when they are visited by an auditor (Jim True-Frost) from the IRS.

It seemed like an honest portrayal of some of the sides of depression and how family and friends are affected and react to it. Campbell Scott, the director, captured the despair, loneliness and deep love that these characters felt for one another. There was some disconnect though in the film that separated the audience, which was a shame.

Brilliant performances by Sam Elliott and Joan Allen.
December 27, 2009
Thought-provoking, visually enticing, and even - who'd have thought? - inspiring. Thoughtful but not overthought exploration of the idea that sometimes we're most a part of this world when we cut ourselves off from the systems that drive it.

Added bonus: J.K. Simmons proving he's a darned good actor capable of playing roles very different from his typical "asshole boss" bit.
September 19, 2009
This movie is a gem. There is great chemistry among the actors. The young girl is simply marvelous. The story is great, the characters are simple but have a beautiful complexity, and the scenery is wonderful. I really liked this film and it was worth all the $2.50 rental fee. I wish I could have seen in in theaters.
½ September 2, 2009
A sweet movie about depression. I loved it. And the girl, wow! She was amazing.
July 18, 2009
A fascinating character study about lives intersecting the wilds of New Mexico during the early seventies. An undiscovered gem of a movie that needs to be seen...
½ May 15, 2009
soothing.. relieving
April 12, 2009
Very sweet and low key. The characters were likable and interesting without being too self-consciously "quirky". Joan Allen is wonderful.

And gorgeous New Mexico scenery by the great Spanish cinematographer Juan Ruiz Anchia. There is a remarkable montage late in the film where a character stands motionless for ... Read Morehours and simply watches the light and color change across the sky and mountain view as the sun sets into night. Incredible colors. Anchia is on of the best color photographers in movies. Also see his beautiful work in "At Close Range", "Glengarry Glen Ross", and "A Far Off Place".

Critic Ty Burr had a good line about Off the Map that describes it well:
"...if you've ever stood under a night sky and felt the earth turning beneath you -- and felt insignificant and elated at the same time -- [director] Campbell Scott has your number."
½ April 11, 2009
Too nice to have any deep impact, but Sam Elliott is magnetic and Joan Allen brings her usual dedication. In contrast, I found the girl to be pretty annoying, and Jim True-Frost never rang true. I just thought Campbell Scott could've narrowed the scope of the picture and worked with the setting to strengthen the audience's relationship to the characters and their specific dramas.
March 24, 2009
An excellent movie - great characters and succeeded in making me want to live off the map!
March 15, 2009
this is a charming tale set in one of my favorite places...New mexico. also an affirmation that one day i too, want to live off the grid
March 2, 2009
Sam Eliott definitely deserves meniton here. Here, I actually kind of like Amy Brenneman, too.
March 1, 2009
I loved this movie. Sam Elliot and Joan Allen are perfect.[FONT=Arial]
½ February 7, 2009
I was dazzled by Juan Ruiz Anchia's cinematography in this simple and poetic film. Pleasantly surprised by Campbell Scott's directorial effort. Another fantastic performance by Joan Allen.
February 3, 2009
this warm desert story is a celebration of the unconventional. i'd watch anything with allen twice, but this one especially
January 26, 2009
I can watch this movie over and over, Sam Shepard at his best..
December 31, 2008
I absolutely love this movie, it is a gem. I can watch it again and again (and I did), and I always find inspiration in it. It is a shame that it was not better distributed.
December 22, 2008
Have patience and it pays off.
December 21, 2008
Slow moving and heart felt! I LOVE this movie. Such true moments about art, life, discovery, growing up and depression.