Off the Black - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Off the Black Reviews

½ December 24, 2013
The leads are good, and Timothy Hutton is memorably off-putting as the pitcher's disengaged dad. But having created the aching umpire, Ponsoldt occupies him with some fairly shopworn situation.
August 29, 2013
ive become a big fan of james ponsoldt after seeing his latest 2 films smashed and the spectacular now, so i def wanted to check his other films out, while i didnt have the same emotional response to this one as i did the other 2, its still very solid, hes very good at directing relationships, and the one between nolte and morgan is great, neither go overboard or over dramamtic, it felt real and i enjoyed seeing them together, dewitt is good too, but i wouldve liked to know more about her or see more scenes with her, the girl that plays the sister is good too, while the story might not be the most original, its still a good watch
July 24, 2013
I sat through this dreck for almost an hour before I decided I just did not care. None of the characters are likable, there's nothing redeeming about the story, and it's in general just incredibly boring. I wish I could get that wasted hour back.
½ August 1, 2012
stupid. I hate nick nolte's stupid face and the story was boring and I hope this movie explodes into a million pieces. FUCK.
September 23, 2011
I don't think I will ever watch this.
½ May 26, 2011
good but like madonna in desperately seeking susan nolte isn't really acting but rather being himself.
½ May 23, 2011
Your mother left you with your sister and your father. You never heard from her anymore. Everybody is hurt. Nobody is willing to talk. And you get yourself in trouble with someone that is willing to have company and also to guide you. Two strangers that are building a friendship. Worth watching.
April 1, 2011
Great baseball motion picture that apparently no one has ever seen. Best performance of Nick Nolte's career!!!
LWOODS04
July 27, 2010
Cast: Nick Nolte, Trevor Morgan, Marlyne Afflack, Timothy Hutton, Rosemarie DeWitt, Noah Fleiss, Sally Kirkland

Director: James Ponsoldt

Summary: An unlikely bond forms between high school baseball pitcher Dave Tibbel (Trevor Morgan) and reclusive, ailing umpire Ray Cook (Nick Nolte) after Ray catches the youngster vandalizing his home. Ray offers to forgive Dave's debt if he'll pose as Ray's estranged son at an upcoming class reunion. Meanwhile, Dave contends with his withdrawn father (Timothy Hutton), who's been a wreck since his wife left him.

My Thoughts: "It's a sad film about two people who form a special bond with each other. They are both missing something in their lives. Ray, a relationship with his son, and Dave, a relationship with his father. So the pair have these father and son moments and then the relationship ends. Dave is saddened and asks the question "does everyone leave?", which really makes you feel bad for his character. It's a bit of a slow drama, but it develops well. Haven't seen Nick Nolte in a movie in quite a long time. I thought he was really great, and Trevor Morgan was great as well. Their relationship and characters were believable, and to some of us, relatable. Good movie all around."
February 20, 2010
predictable and pedestrian.
September 22, 2009
Nick Nolte did a fantastic JOB here..and wow Trevor Morgan was so good. Touching story. I really enjoyed it.
January 29, 2009
Very poignant story - good casting
January 6, 2009
Appropriately done movie. Good story that hits right with the final line. I felt the performances to be mediocre but not distracting. Realistic characters drive the relationship, something both of them needed.
½ December 10, 2008
Turned out to be a good movie.
½ September 25, 2008
Stille og sympatisk drama om savn og ensomhed. Nolte spiller smukt i den ene hovedrolle.
September 18, 2008
Really strong performances by all involved, especially Nick Nolte and Trevor Morgan. But it is James Ponsoldt's meaty script that is really thrilling. The depth of feeling he gets from his actors is good too. I wish he had more than 23 days to shoot, since some of the photography is marginal, but some shots are just beautiful, especially the close-ups of the actors' faces.
½ September 14, 2008
A less than obvious adaption of some much more formulaic films. It just does something different every time you think '...here we go...' Nothing is over done and it made me laugh out loud at times but just because it gave the characters lines and situations which threw you off the beaten path just enough to see something out of the ordinary.
½ September 12, 2008
This is a good movie I thought. The story is is good and the acting is well done.
½ September 9, 2008
Very touching. I wonder why I never heard of it when it came out. Reflective and sweet without being too sappy.