Off the Black - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Off the Black Reviews

½ September 9, 2008
Very touching. I wonder why I never heard of it when it came out. Reflective and sweet without being too sappy.
August 25, 2008
It wasn't what I thought it would be from the preview I saw, but I still enjoyed it. The end made me cry, and I never do that with movies.
August 6, 2008
Will I ever see a movie the Debi has not already seen??
July 26, 2008
one of the best think! films ever. it was simply brilliant
½ July 13, 2008
I really enjoyed this movie. Why it is rated R i dont think ill ever know. The emotions in this movie are what made it. It really made you feel for these people and their lives. I really think anyone could have watched this film and got something out of it. It makes you really realize and appreciate what you good things you do have in life.
May 20, 2008
Perfectly written and shot. I loved the story of a teenager with strained (or absent) parental relationships, finding a friend in an unlikely "father figure" who is at this point, hardly more than a barely functioning alcoholic and put the two together to find some sort of happy medium in their lives. Nick Nolte's performance is one of the best I've seen. He plays the adorable trainwreck of an older man character perfectly.
May 5, 2008
touching, funny, well acted drama. well worth the watch
½ April 20, 2008
Solid story, compelling presentation. However the acting was just dull, I thought Nolte would make a considerable difference, but he didn't add much.

Washington Post | Desson Thomson
Writer-director James Ponsoldt's film treats big subjects -- loneliness, coming-of-age and father-son relationships -- with such half-baked conviction, it's a wonder the screen doesn't redden with embarrassment. Which makes it all the more gratifying to watch Nolte pulverize the dramatic banality around him.
½ March 26, 2008
TOO SLOW, BORING...
even if the script had the best of intentions and the acting wasn't bad. Nolte plays his usual overbearing character role (how he managed to give the performance he did in The Prince of Tides is still an unknown to me). The movie had all the right clich├ęs, the balance of drama and humor, and everything else required for the formula. It just didn't do anything for me. I struggled to get to the end of the movie.

Don't recommend it unless you have nothing else to watch
March 2, 2008
rent it! great movie!
February 23, 2008
A film about an estranged alcoholic father, a young man in need of a father figure , and finding friendship in the least of all likely places. A must see for anyone with a strained father-son relationship.
January 31, 2008
A near perfect film. Great performances. Wonderful script.
½ January 15, 2008
It's your modern tale of a distressed old man who finds friendship in a youth. P.S. there's no pedophilia.
½ January 13, 2008
A near perfect film. Great performances. Wonderful script. An unforgettable scene with one of the characters randomly sining from the heart.
January 13, 2008
simple and sweet, though not phenomenal. trevor morgan is a great up and comer, i think we'll be seeing more of him, and nick nolte's a badass and the quintessential drunk!
½ January 5, 2008
With his gravelly voice and weathered face it's hard not to be enraptured by a Nick Nolte performance, and although this is not the best venue, he steals every scene.
Harlequin68
½ January 4, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]"Off the Black" starts with Dave(Trevor Morgan) walking in the winning run in a high school baseball game umpired by Ray(Nick Nolte), a 57-year old who works at a junkyard and lives with his bulldog. That night, Dave and two of his friends vandalize and toiletpaper Ray's house but Ray catches Dave in the act while his two friends get away.(But Dave is a good kid. Trust me. He lives with his father(Timothy Hutton) and younger sister, Ashley(Sonia Feigelson).) Ray promises to let the prank go on the condition that Dave accompany him to his 40th high school reunion and pretend that he is his son.[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]"Off the Black" is an exploration of why umpires are some of the most vilified people around. To be serious, it is about how wrong it is to blame one's problems on other people(like blaming a lost game on an umpire's decision), instead of accepting responsibility for one's life. And we should all shut off the television, get out of the house more and live life to its fullest but I could think of plenty of better things to do than attend a reunion.(Both Ray and Dave's father sit around and consume an unholy amount of beer.) In the end, Ray does not realize what he is missing until he knows he is dying. But it is ironic that a movie about life is so lifeless and flat, despite another rich performance from Nick Nolte.[/font]
December 16, 2007
Nick Nolte never ceases to amaze me. I really enjoyed him in afterglow which this movie reminds me of.

I really liked the plot line and thought the acting of the teenager was really well done. Investigates many emotions that people go through.
½ December 14, 2007
A simplistically brilliant film enlivened by Nick Nolte in a staggering turn that approaches self-parody, but is nonetheless humanizing. Explores emotional distance while not only avoiding any heavy-handedness but also having several genuinely funny moments. One of my favorite recent movies that no one's seen.
December 7, 2007
Good solid storytelling. Doesn't get too depressing or too cheesey.