Old Partner - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Old Partner Reviews

½ February 10, 2012
An emotional documentary about a man and his ox.
½ March 16, 2011
A sweet if repetitive documentary. It's a simple observation of a man and his ox. Nothing more, nothing less. If you would find a man and his ox farming boring, then just don't watch it. The true heart of this film comes from the relationship between the man and his ox. The man works the ox incredibly hard, but treats him better than his own wife. This does raise questions as to where the mans heart truly lies. But it's that thankless dedication to each other that really hits home. Never asking from each other, and no understanding, just pure love. There are some wonderful moments, as the man takes his ox to market (as his wife demands) but then asks for $5,000. He is made fun of, and heckled, but he seems truly happy. It's also humbling to see how hard these rural people work, and how his work and his friendship with his ox, mean more than any amount of cash.
½ January 17, 2011
Sentimental. How many times have you seen an old ox shed its tears? A documentary about a farmer and his ox. Touching.
December 27, 2010
A sentimental tale of a stubborn old farmer, his grumbling burnt-out wife, their moribund ox, and their struggles as age catches up with them. Minimal dialogue but a touching look at rural Korea.
October 22, 2010
this is one of those movie which can be either extremely boring or extremely emotional totally depending on your mood. it looks so simple but yet so complicated. it will make you think and realize....relationship between husband & wife; mankind & their pet; parents & children.
The look of the old ox and the sound of the bell just stuck in my head...
October 16, 2010
bloody hilarious for the most part. Director could have made it progress a little more, it gets quite repetitive in the middle section, but great stuff overall. A fascinating reaad about its distribution progress
August 27, 2010
By far the best movie I've seen in a very long time.

I saw this completely out of dumb luck at the mom and pop video store in my neighborhood. The owners are Korean and have been putting in lots of Korean titles as well as your usual USA blockbusters, which is just FANTASTIC.

I had no idea the kind of power this film would have over me. Though I'm American-raised, suburban-fed, this movie moved me in ways I cannot explain effectively in words.

It is definitely the kind of documentary that doesn't teach you anything new, but reminds you of all the old things you should never forget. It makes you FEEL more than SEE anything with your mortal eyes.

It is charming and funny in its own way. You'll chuckle, you'll laugh, but most of all you will FEEL and THINK about this movie long after it's over.
June 25, 2010
So many emotions flowing watching with well-anticipated (at least for me) documentary. This movie made me think about relationship between husband and wife in perhaps last stages of their lives together; one between master and his animal; one between parents and his children who no longer play big part of their lives. I cannot shake off the scene where the ox sheds tears.
June 8, 2010
Heart-breaking and humane story about a very old man and his dying ox. Shot documentary style with almost no budget, this is as real as it gets.
½ May 17, 2010
I want to buy an ox but my girlfriend won't let me
May 8, 2010
Started watching this touching movie at midnight last night and I could not fall asleep thinking about the tears falling down on the old ox's big eye. The relationship between the old man and the ox is so much more than friendship...I get teary eyes everytime I think about it...
April 27, 2010
Perhaps one of the finest movies ever made. It kept me hypnotized the entire film. Definitely ten out of ten.
March 10, 2010
주?공 무?? ?보를 ?? 보???~!!
½ March 4, 2010
?거 ?? ??? ?????...???? ???? ?구???!!
½ February 28, 2010
oh so beautiful. tears.
½ January 17, 2010
A surprising gem. Grief you probably need.
December 4, 2009
Such a beautiful film. Very touching.
It's a story about innocent relationship that we've all got in our deep inside even if we don't think about it since long time ago.
I really wanna show this film to someone who I really love.
October 17, 2009
A touching tale that describe the conflict between traditional Korea and the modern fast-paced society.
A man, an ox and the man's wife. I did get teary eyed at the end.
September 15, 2009
Old Partner is an emotional documentary about an old farmer and his beloved bull during its last year of life. Anyone who's loved an animal as much or more than other humans should see this, and it's also a good documentary and movie as a whole for those who haven't.
July 17, 2009
Wins my award this year for making me laugh and cry at the same time. Beautiful and touching.