Old Fashioned - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Old Fashioned Reviews

April 8, 2019
A wonderful story at many different layers. The story itself is cute, but the underling story line and editing is wonderful!
March 1, 2019
Terrific movie with a good moral message. I wish more movies like this got made.
December 25, 2018
Fantastic movie that showed the complete reversal of a man caught up in the ways of the world. This shows the true beauty of a romance founded on Love and not lust, and how a true romance actually fulfills the potential for joy.
September 25, 2018
I didn't see this movie until a couple of years after it came out. It has now become one of my three favorite movies. It's so nice to be able to watch a clean movie with real people in it. The characters in the movie each have their own strengths and weaknesses and they learn and grow as the movie progresses. Would love to see more movies like this!
June 9, 2018
Great move with a great message! Great depiction of how dating should be!!
June 9, 2018
Chains - This movie is about breaking chains. The chains from our past, and the chains of our innate nature.

The past can hold you in check. It can arrest you from being all that God intends you to be. Past failure, hurt, addiction, sorrow, anger, even affluence... also,
Our innate nature draws us to things that have no profit in the long game. Selfishness, pride, greed, sensuality, revenge,,,

This movie shows two people who have firmly decided that those past roads do not lead to the future they want; nor is it what God intends for them to experience. Each decides to make a change in their behavior "in the present" to walk a new road "into the future". Together with The Lord's help, they can see the light in a dark world. The light of faith, hope, and love that will last a lifetime.

A lifetime God intends, free from the chains... Where He has paid the price to free us from those chains.
½ June 9, 2018
This is a truly amazing film that shows that second chances can be given and that all people can be forgiven through. And when God is in your life anything is possible.
This is a movie that you can watch with the whole family.
June 9, 2018
love this movie. highly recommend. good story. romantic, filled with integrity and good values that challenge you and there IS an audience for this believe it or not, even if its not you. uplifting. inspirational. love love love. audience score is 85% says it all.
June 4, 2018
just watched old fashioned

i am muslim n this movie really opens up my eyes.. cuz in Islam it is HARAM (prohibited) to be alone with the opposite sex... if u r not muhrim (means related or husband n wife) but what a shame cuz so many muslims out there seem to forget or neglect about the fact. they just ignore the knowledge even its written clearly in Al Quran.. this movie really makes me wanna read more about the do n the don't we muslim must n must not do... thank u so much... and it is romantic to love after marriage in my opinion... well depends to whom u r getting married of course. lol.

sorry there are so many things i wanna say but my english stops me.. afraid u wont get it.
thank u once again... thank u to show to the world that we can be romantic... we can be fun without involving drugs alcohol or sex...
½ July 31, 2017
The movie is not very good. I thought the first half of the film was atrocious and I was becoming afraid it would be as horrible as God's Not Dead, but instead of carrying its unpleasantness throughout the rest of the film, it instead falls into romance film cliches that are mostly bland. I will admit there are a few touching moments in that latter portion, but it's overall nothing new. Anyways, It does what many romance films do, which is create some kind of concept that sounds unique, and (spoilers) has the characters eventually fall in love. They of course eventually get to a point where a problem develops and they break up, only to make up by the end (end spoiler). Also, the editing is bizarre. Won't go into details, but there are a variety of techniques used that are odd and somewhat confusing.

Overall, I'm a person who prefers blandness over anger-inducing senseless storytelling, and luckily, the blandness of the second half kept this from being as worse as it could've been.
June 10, 2017
(Previous - I opologise for my bad written english but i'm portoguese and i just studied it at highschool) - I really enjoyed the film. It's so rare nowadays to find a simple but deep reflection about models for dates, for male/female realtionships, without presenting phisical atraction as the main issue - we need time (at least, i need, as a women) to know the other one and to fall in love. We need to talk, to get to know each other... to became friens and, if possible, more that friends. It's not easy to present (or believe) in such a model, nowadays - and that's way i realy liked Clay's strenght to stick to it. But eually important is also the humanity and it's own "weakness" of the caracters. They dindn't do everything right (and weren't everytime sure of the mooves to take or how to act) just because they were christians (Clay, at least). And when it cames for the heart matters, it's even more difficult. And their diference of perpectives is realy enriching. They were sincereouslly opened to the the other one's diference - and that's absolutely important in relationships. Waiting for the next movie, alike!! :)
June 6, 2017
I saw Old Fashioned in February 2015 the weekend it came out. This beautiful movie has touched my life and challenged me in so many ways it's such a blessing. I love how it took Clay and Amber two different people with broken lives in different respects and brought them together. They learned the good, bad and ugly. Aunt Zelda was the wise beautiful Grandmother to Clay. A total hoot to boot! Also, I love how Clay's character showed over and over in big and small ways like how loving and compassionate to Zelda when her hands started to hurt and he put the cream on them. It was beautiful how as their relationship grew Amber was starting to read the Bible and lean on God's word. The sweet playfulness of the characters back and forth was clean. I'm so proud to tell everybody about this beautiful film about courtship and it's a awesome movie to use with a youth group and with your own teenagers. The sceenary is gorgeous. The ending gets me every time. I'm in tears, absolutely love every minute about this film. Most importantly, it's taught me that there's hope that there's a "Clay" out there for me, one day, in God's timing and his will. I've been following OF every since it's release the seeds it's planted all over the US is so amazing and now the seeds are blooming in our Country and it's moving over into other Countries as well. Praise God! ??????
June 3, 2017
This film is amazing! It is not a glitz, glamour and action film but it does have amazing teaching of old fashioned values. Of what are really not Old Fashioned but more of a forgotten love...showing real life senarios and people that were relatable. I can not watch this movie and not get a new perspective on something! This film will continue to bless you!
June 3, 2017
In a time where it is common place to hand out condoms in high schools, and support abortions instead of teaching abstinence, Old Fashioned was a refreshing movie. Oh that there were more men out there like Clay...more young women who are drawn to the goodness of men like Clay...Old Fashioned is not a fairy tale but what life could be like when priorities are in line with how we were created....after all "dating doesn't make us better husbands and wives, it just makes us better dates".

Highly recommend for parents with teens getting ready for the dating age.. We watched it as a family and the lessons are still being talked about.

We need more movies like this. Well written, well cast, all around great film.
We watch this film as a couple and watched it again with 3 of our
younger children. The values connected to this film and the balance
between what is good and not good is profound as it helped younger to
understand how to get away from the easy choices and make valuable ones
for themselves and others. The good thruth tha is inside us is often
neglected in the name of friendship.
June 3, 2017
Old Fashioned is a unique film that contemplates the joys & struggles of life with imperfect characters striving for truth & meaning in their experiences & mistakes. It exudes simple honesty, love, & illustrates people who strive to define love , respect, relationships, and connections in a genuine way. A way completely different than the shallow existence it has become. It shows us how things can be different. It actually shows us what chivalry can look like. I am thankful, especially as the mother of two sons, for something different than the fake, hollow love/sex formula of Hollywood. I love everything about Old Fashioned.
June 3, 2017
I happened onto this gem of a movie. If you've tried to find love in today's modern society, and have been left witha cursed and broken heart, repeatedly, while trying to do it the modern way, then this film is for you. God's way, the old fashioned way, works. Sex is not love, it is the fruit of love,... and God wants the best for us. Relish this moursel of a film. I'm looking forward to more from Rik Swartzwelder in the future,....
June 3, 2017
This film is a very important subject for young people who want to relate. He advises us to follow Divine counsels.
May 5, 2017
OLD FASHIONED has a great deal of trouble turning its not-very-dynamic concept -- not dating -- into a watchable movie. But it also has trouble arguing its own point.
May 2, 2017
I loved every second of this movie.