The Old Man Who Read Love Stories Reviews

• Aug 19, 2015

An under-seen and under-rated gem of a movie, I had the great pleasure of seeing The Old Man Who Read Love Stories when I was but a young boy and it's a film that stuck with me for many years thanks to subtle power, striking imagery and a performance from Richard Dreyfuss that surely must be the most fully formed of his career. I had an even greater pleasure recently where I was able to attend a screening of The Old Man and a Q and A with its legendary Australian director Rolf de Heer that reaffirmed to me what a classic film this is. The making and release of The Old Man was one fraught with many different challenges both in a crew sense and also a release sense. Sitting on the shelf unjustly for more than 3 years The Old Man once available to the public was a film that divided the critics and audiences alike but for those willing to be swept up in the tale of journeyman Antonio Bolivar it was an absolute joy to be a part of. The Old Man is in no way a typical point A to point B movie and the structure of the films flashbacks (going hand in hand with our lead's fractured life and memories) are in no way done in the usual movie-making fashion. These elements of originality and decision making by director De Heer are just some of the reasons though that make the film just a diamond in the rough. The Old Man Who Read Love Stories - post As mentioned in the opening paragraph Richard Dreyfuss has never been better than he is here. In a role that was originally intended for Sir Ian McKellan and down the line Morgan Freeman and Sir Ben Kingsley, Dreyfuss is captivating and heartbreaking as our wounded soul. It's a character that is filled to the brim with hidden mysteries that slowly begin to unravel as the movie progresses and although the town folk he deals with (including the "slimy toad" mayor played by the ever creepy Timothy Spall and the roguish dentist played by Hugo Weaving) treat him perhaps as a man that knows little, he is in fact a man that has loved, lost and lived like the best of them. The journey Antonio takes to track a vengeful jaguar is a journey that is not only a physical trek but an emotional trek and one where the film's softly spoken power comes from as Antonio internally deals with his past triumphs and past losses. Filmed beautifully, scored thoughtfully and acted wonderfully by its cast, The Old Man is a film that is worthy to be tracked down and to be taken away by. With the right marketing and proper treatment one gets the feeling that the film would have been a major player at awards seasons the world over but sometimes a film is more than physical awards and plaudits and the Old Man's true gift is the one it gives to us the watchers and admirers. 5 dentist related bets out of 5 For more movie reviews and opinions check out - www.jordanandeddie.wordpress.com

• Oct 04, 2012

a meandering tale of the life of an amazonian settler, his challenges, fears, and love for (printed) love stories...

• Jul 18, 2012

This is a piece of shit

This is a piece of shit

• Apr 07, 2012

Richard Dreyfuss is simply amazing. I had no idea what the plot would be, but it was a positive surprise.

• Dec 03, 2008

l thoroughly enjoyed this film...

l thoroughly enjoyed this film...

• Dec 31, 2007

Not a romantic tale, unless you have a romantic nature.

Not a romantic tale, unless you have a romantic nature.

• Dec 18, 2007

This is a great film by Adelaide's own Rolf De Heer. Of all his films, this is my personal favourite. If you want break free from bombastic, shallow films, check out this wonderful, contemplative film with great acting, stunning cinematography and memorable characters. This is one of the most underrated films made by an Aussie. It starts slowly, but stick with it and you will be rewarded. Why great films go under the radar is always a surprise... am I the only person sick of Hollywood's modern offerings????? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills sometimes.

• Nov 11, 2007

i have to see this again

i have to see this again

• Oct 23, 2007

One of Rolf De Heer's lesser known films but a truly brilliant film. Moving and oddly funny with with some amazing performances from Dreyfuss and Spall.