Older Than America - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Older Than America Reviews

December 3, 2015
151203: Came across this film while attending a Cree Nation awareness course. Decent film featuring many big stars. Done, obviously, on a smaller budget but didn't suffer much as a result.
October 3, 2015
It's about 2% substance and 98% message, but I can see why that would appeal to some, it's just not really for me.
½ March 20, 2014
A very dramatic exploration of the subject of residential schools and their lingering effects.
March 20, 2014
Thought provoking film, loved it
January 24, 2014
even though this is a very low budget, not that well written for a film, and storyline was excellent. the main character RAIN starts to get visions about the mistreatment of indian children at a catholic school and when she decides to questions it, all hell breaks loose in her town.
April 4, 2013
well crafted
this is a must see movie based on facts. I'll let you read the synopsis for the story line. in two words this film is WELL CRAFTED. everything from the actors, the directing, the editing, and including the score is beautifully done.
recommended for serious collectors, definitely. do I own it? not yet but I'm going to as soon as I can find a copy.
March 1, 2013
Interesting storyline, but directing, editing and script had the pacing of a TV special. Regardless, I never lost interest, as I truly appreciated the historical issue it tackled - the attempted "whitewashing" of Native American children by government/Catholic boarding schools at which horrific atrocities often took place, as recently as 1975! Don't remember that chapter in your high school history books, eh? Me either. Worth a watch in spite of the movie-of-the-week feel. [Watched via Netflix]
April 9, 2012
Obviously repackaged & pushed upon us due to Bradley Cooper's inexplicable late surge into the limelight this film is nothing but a boring tale of child abuse. That's not to belittle the abuse just to point out that this film is so tedious it hurts.
It's nothing more than the director/female lead Lightnings dedication to her Father telling the tale of the abuse native Indians suffered at the hands of church governed boarding schools.
Whilst the subject matter is sensitive & important the film is just a lead up to some subtitles post script from Amnesty International giving you some history & statistics.
It's simple, nothing happens. So suspense, no tension. Just bad acting. Cooper has so little screen time it's almost his best performance. To say it's based on true events is the only thing you can agree with but that's cos usually true events are generally quite dull.
½ March 31, 2012
I wish there were more conscience of those horrible facts.. How can people who claim acting in the name of god himself torture innocents for their own benefit and to satisfy their own twisted mind.. My disgust is boundless.. I never had much respect for the catholic church and this is yet an other example of why...Yes we all deserve to be forgiven for our trespassing but before we have to at least admit them and I hope there has been ample and official apologies to the native nations who suffer so. May the light be with all of us someday..Satnaam.
½ March 13, 2012
love this movie. it is a must watch. it is based on true events more reasons to see it. children are abused by who they are (natives). you would be surprised to find out who is behind such abuse. the movie has a justice ending. but what they actuall went through has no justice. "i am an apple red on the outside but not on the inside" why try to change a generation, erase who they are. be proud of whom you represent don't hide it.
½ January 8, 2012
I wish Independent films like this would get more "mainstream" notice. Really well-done film, based on true events. Written by Georgina Lightning, who played the lead, and producer by Adam Beach who co-starred. Normal with that kind of set up the movie ends up being kinda cheesy, but this was anything but. I get the feeling this was a labor of love. It's definitely a story that needs to be told...and learned from.
September 14, 2011
great movie good story and acting
June 24, 2011
A very powerful movie. I don't think I've ever read a book or seen a movie about Native Americans that wasn't tragic. Sad how the church can find so many different ways to ruin lives, now and in the past. No critic has even bothered to review this movie. Why is that? Maybe, like Native American history, we can just act like it never happened.
June 14, 2011
Any flaws this film had I think was overcome by the subject matter, which is rarely seen on television or in film. It was filmed in Cloquet, MN on the Fond du Lac Reservation, which I have only passed through. I only remember it really as a failing casino on the way to Duluth, where I'll be going again this summer. I've thought of staying at the hotel there. Anyway, the acting was good, the story was great but terribly sad, and it was educational. Ultimately that's why I appreciated it, but it was an entertaining and engaging film to watch nonetheless. It's a free On Demand movie on Charter in St. Cloud right now, also streaming and to rent on Netflix.
April 24, 2011
It was a good flick very interesting...
½ November 18, 2010
It's worthy agenda is marred by an overabundance of plot lines keeping it from fulfilling its ostensible "thriller" motif.
November 23, 2009
Good ass movie, 1 of the best movies I have ever seen with Adam Beach in it.
July 20, 2009
another adam beach movie ...
½ March 27, 2009
This was a very haunting film that forces you to take a hard look at a difficult chapter in America's past that history has tried hard to forget.
April 9, 2008
This movie is amazing. everyone needs to see it. look for my name in the credits! :)