Oliver & Company - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oliver & Company Reviews

½ September 23, 2017
Oliver and Company was pretty good I like how it took place in New York my favorite song was why should I worry
September 21, 2017
Feels very much like no one working on this movie had made an animated movie before
August 18, 2017
Film Critic Jay Sherman Did Originally See Oliver & Company When It Was Originally Released To Movie Theaters In 1988 And When It Was Later Re-Released To Movie Theaters In 1996.
August 15, 2017
i really like this movie it's one of my favorite disney movies along with the song Why Should I worry I really enjoy.
August 3, 2017
I love dogs, i like cats, I adore good songs, but the lack of story and heart made this just an meh movie for Disney.

|It's a 5,8 out of 10|
August 1, 2017
Great entertainment for the whole family and a great soundtrack!
July 24, 2017
I honestly don't remember this film very much growing up. In fact, I'm not even sure if I watched the entire thing. This was one of those tales that I guess never interested that much. But even if I did remember it, I can tell you that it is the weakest 80's Disney film, and one of the weakest Disney animated movies of all time. I saw this for the first time in a long time just a week ago. And I just couldn't get into it. I thought that the Characters (Though well voice acted, especially Billy Joel), were very stereotypical and bland, and the Animation just felt wrong. The songs? Forget them. You're better off listening to Christmas music. I will give it this though. The overall setting of New York is nice and touching. It reminds me of The Rescuers in a way because of that. But that can't save the film from its other flaws. Would I watch it again? Probably not. But I will recommend it to people who love talking animals. The rest of you though, skip this one.
June 25, 2017
Honestly these Disney films in the 70s and 80s seem to blend together, hard to really see much of a difference between them and Oliver & Company to me is a lesser entry among these similar entries. The music is not that good either and the same generic storyline, heroes and villains. The two dobermans in here kept making me think of the crocodiles from The Rescuers. A movie I thought personally was superior in every way. Hard reminder that not everything Disney produces is gold. Spent two decades in mediocrity in fact.
May 11, 2017
In 1988 this movie came out and it takes place in NY hay I thought the song why should I worry that's a hit song along with the movie.
½ April 26, 2017
Some nice songs and a cute cat; but that's about it.
April 23, 2017
This animated modern telling of Oliver Twist is a fun take of the original tale. While it isn't the best film Disney has ever pumped out, it sure is fun. The Billy Joel music really makes the film what it is and captures the New York City vibe. Using animals to portray the roles of the original film was very Disney of them. The social commentary of Dickens' Original work is lost, however. Which makes the film fall a bit flat when you are familiar with the novel.
April 20, 2017
This movie was hilarious at the first 10 minutes because it was getting extremely bad luck. This movie also had weird scenes with that poodle doing weird... stuff... But overall this movie was funny when I watched it with my friends.
February 14, 2017
Oliver & Company is a Disney tradition of the fable, but as a whole it is different from the others. The film reportedly based on the book by Charles Dickens Oliver Twist (even though the main characters are animals), but quite loosely, as the difference between the movie and the book very much.
The plot consists mostly of music and the spectacular scenery of New York, who are well-drawn. Although the characters drawn by musicals seems to be annoying in the movie a lot, the size of the main movie is playing well, and brilliantly plotted background scenery add to the charm. Although dogs street dude like slang seems to be a little too much, is it still a good detail.
January 21, 2017
This was a very good one next to the other favorites from the Disney animation studios.
November 26, 2016
Another Disney Classic :) It makes me smile every time I watch it!
½ November 17, 2016
"Oliver & Company" isn't the greatest feature to come from Disney, but it's a sweet reworking of Oliver Twist that has undeniable warmth.
November 12, 2016
Disney presents the animated film Oliver & Company. As the film's title somewhat suggests, the movie is based on David Copperfield's novel Oliver Twist. The character Oliver Twist is portrayed by a stray cat Oliver (Joey Lawrence), who finds himself among a pack stray dogs. These stray dogs are led by a jazzy cool dog named Dodger (Billy Joel), a feisty Chihuahua Tito (Cheech Marin) and a few others. Each of the dogs are owned by a poor criminal Fagin (Dom DeLuise), and they represent the orphan aspect of the original novel.

Together they are trying to scrape by to survive and are hoping to acquire enough money to pay off a debt that Fagin owes to crime boss Sykes (Robert Loggia). Oliver eventually winds up at a home and the owner's daughter Jenny falls in love with him and decides to keep him. This is much to the dismay of the dog of the house, a spoiled poodle Georgette (Bette Midler). The girl's father is rich, so Fagin comes up with a scheme to ransom Oliver to get the money he owes Fagin. Fagin finds himself in too deep, when Sykes decides it's much more profitable to steal Jenn and ransom her instead. It soon becomes up to Oliver and Company to set everything straight again.

Oliver & Company has some intriguing ways of setting up characters to compare to the original novel so that kids can enjoy it. The story is somewhat weak, but makes up for some great characters. Dodger is an excellent hero, and Oliver is a cute "underdog" that you root for. The supporting cast of Marin and Midler provide much of the film's comedic output. Each of the dogs in the pack has a different personality that keeps the film entertaining. The film's music, and New York backdrop play well with each other to make a well packaged film. The song "Why Should I Worry" is one of the better Disney songs. Sykes and the two dogs make for reasonable villains, but are mostly forgettable amongst some of the iconic Disney villains. The idea of Fagin appearance, and him as a lowly bandit that is trying to do his best, may be confusing at first to early age viewers, but his moral compass eventually steers in the right direction. Oliver & Company is one of the more forgettable Disney classics, but Dodger and Oliver make it stand the test of time.

-11.12.2016
September 24, 2016
When you think of Disney's great animated classics, I doubt very much that this one will make the list. The animation is not overly special, but it does have a few decent moments. There are way better Disney movies out there though.
½ August 15, 2016
Oliver and Company is underrated! It has good characters and catchy songs.
August 12, 2016
If you love Billy Joel, you'll love this film. Animators pick up the pace with a jazzy, upbeat rendition of Dicken's Oliver Twist set in New York, with the real twist being that the characters are dogs. It sounds a little strange on paper but there's no doubt it worked well on the screen. Featuring a superb voice cast featuring Billy Joel and Bette Midler among other fine performances, the film is elevated by infectious rhythms that get your feet tappin'. Disney continues into the Broadway musical-type formula and it definitely pays off. The script is sharp but it's rarely laugh out loud and the human characters seem dull. The movie's forte definitely lies in its canine characters especially considering their originality; Disney has a tendency to reuse certain personality molds especially in their minor characters in other films. But it's those minor characters in Oliver & Co., like a thespian Bulldog and a rowdy Mexican Chihuahua (voiced by Cheech Marin nonetheless), that keep you interested.