Oliver & Company - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oliver & Company Reviews

September 24, 2016
When you think of Disney's great animated classics, I doubt very much that this one will make the list. The animation is not overly special, but it does have a few decent moments. There are way better Disney movies out there though.
½ August 15, 2016
Oliver and Company is underrated! It has good characters and catchy songs.
August 12, 2016
If you love Billy Joel, you'll love this film. Animators pick up the pace with a jazzy, upbeat rendition of Dicken's Oliver Twist set in New York, with the real twist being that the characters are dogs. It sounds a little strange on paper but there's no doubt it worked well on the screen. Featuring a superb voice cast featuring Billy Joel and Bette Midler among other fine performances, the film is elevated by infectious rhythms that get your feet tappin'. Disney continues into the Broadway musical-type formula and it definitely pays off. The script is sharp but it's rarely laugh out loud and the human characters seem dull. The movie's forte definitely lies in its canine characters especially considering their originality; Disney has a tendency to reuse certain personality molds especially in their minor characters in other films. But it's those minor characters in Oliver & Co., like a thespian Bulldog and a rowdy Mexican Chihuahua (voiced by Cheech Marin nonetheless), that keep you interested.
August 4, 2016
Before I can clarify this, I have been watching this Disney classic last year because it is awsome and when I was a kid as well. The characters that I totally liked is Dodger voiced by a singer Billy Joel. There's another character called Georgette voiced by another singer called Bette Midler. The only character who is funny is Tito played by Cheech Marin. He's the most funniest dog in this movie, he has all the one-liners. The songs are enjoyably good, they have the jazz and the one that I didn't even notice years ago is Huey Lewis. I repeat, Huey Lewis, not Huey Lewis and the News. I have been singing those songs non stop like Once Upon A Time In New York City, Why Should I Worry and Streets Of Gold. They're always good to listen to and sing. The funny moments are a lot of fun and the chase scene at the end is awsome where the dogs and Fagin being chased by Sykes played by Robert Loggia. The scene where the Dodger and the other dogs find Oliver from Jenny's house is that Einstein sniffs the perfume and then he sneezed and it sounds funny. I even laughed at that non stop when I was a kid and it still carrys on when I got older. Yes, my me and my friends loved and that is why it's Disney.
July 25, 2016
A very feel good film that pet lovers will enjoy.
½ June 18, 2016
While family-friendly, the animation is weak, neithless to say, the songs and story lack of spirit, and there are only a couple of characters that could be considerate almost enjoyable.
June 6, 2016
I love this movie! This is where Dickens Oliver Twist was turned into something that is good, imaginable, and very well made masterpiece that Disney and it's audience should give like a thumbs up.
½ May 10, 2016
Oliver & Company may not be the 'Masterpiece' people make it out to be, but in my eyes it's a harmless, heartwarming classic.
May 10, 2016
This retelling of Oliver Twist with cats and dogs from the time of the great creative and financial drought the animation house suffered in the 80's is,of course, decidedly lesser Disney. The animation is sometimes a bit below par, especially background stuff, the songs are pretty odd actually, aside from the clear standout "Why should i worry" that gives us a "Billy Joel as a dog" musical number (complete with sunglasses) everything else is really half assed, with not only poor lyrics but with the songs sometimes seemingly half finished ("Streets Of Gold" comes in like a big bolshy showstopper but is over by the times it's begun) and the plot is so thin and underfed that little kitten Oliver has barely settled into the dog gang by the time he is whisked away to a life of potential richness, and then back again, it's a paint by numbers in the extreme of the Dickens tale. Characters too are all given short shrift, Joel's Dodger particularly is given only enough space to come off as a bit of a self centered cock rather than the lovable scamp he was clearly intended to be, shame, like i say it's fun to see the singer as an animated dog version of himself. But Olver And Company is still warm and fun and very watchable, lower down the bottom of the rung of Disney animated studios but still solid and entertaining. As a side note, the bad guys get really surprisingly nasty deaths!
April 30, 2016
Good Music and animation, Oliver and Company is underrated despise it's predictable story
April 23, 2016
Oliver and Company does have some heartwarming scenes, it is entertaining and it has a very good soundtrack with some catchy songs, but this is for the most part a mediocre affair filled with too many characters of which most are underdeveloped or annoying, the animation is quite weak and the plot is quite typical and predictable. It isn't bad as it is perfectly okay, but it is still one of the weakest Disney flicks for sure.
March 27, 2016
La mejor versión para cine de "Oliver Twist". La banda sonora es FANTÁSTICA y una de las mejores en la animación no solo por la canción homenaje a la gran New york, sino también por ese fabuloso Why Should i worry de Billy Joel y Dodger, que magistral! y que personajes, buenas interpretaciones, gran dinámica, sin dejar por fuera lo muy "desagradables" de lo villanos, lo que en cuentas generales me hace no dudar en otorgar 5 estrellas! es excelente!
½ March 9, 2016
I watched this, at twenty four, for the first time today. It's, admittedly, one of Disney's quicker & cheaper efforts. But it's altogether fantastic and very simple. A brilliant way of depicting 'Oliver Twist' to the youngest generation possible. Catchy songs, too!
February 18, 2016
This movie was ok I like how it took place in New York and the music why should I worry that was a good song
February 12, 2016
One of my favorite Disney films ever since I was a child in the late 90s (even for a 1988 film), "Oliver & Company" is a great film for the family to watch & enjoy. While the plot may be quite predictable (loosely based on the classic story "Oliver Twist", this time more modern), the dog characters portray some of the typical (late 80s) New Yorkers, which makes them unique in humor & drama. The human characters Fagin & Jenny have a lot of sympathy for the animal characters & vice versa. And Oliver, the main kitten character, is the dream pursuer for a good home & loving owner. The songs in this film are quite memorable & very catchy, too. Like I said, "Oliver & Company" is a great film for the family to watch & enjoy!
½ January 29, 2016
A good Disney film and the only take on Oliver twist that I don't hate. I don't care what the critcs say, this film was good.
David T.
January 14, 2016
I grew up watching a lot of Disney films since I was a child and this is probably my favorite one of the late 1980s full of fun songs, fine acting (especially by Billy Joel, who is mostly famous for singing, Bette Midler and child star Joey Lawrence). The opening took my breath away, the opening song "Once Upon A Time In New York City" by Huey Lewis is a perfectly appropriate opening song, since this cute and clever film takes place in the Big Apple. I mean who can't resist something like this? The family will love this piece of work! If you haven't seen it, you should!
October 5, 2015
A harmless modern retelling of Dickens' story with the setting shifted to late 1980s New York City and not a glimpse of the social commentary found in the novel, and it relies too much on its street smart charm and is toned down to be no more than just a fleeting pastime.
September 14, 2015
Lame and forgettable. Incredibly short and made strictly for children. All around is very lackluster. Skippity skip skip skip
August 8, 2015
Disney's most cheesiest work ever.