Oliver & Company - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oliver & Company Reviews

½ April 26, 2017
Some nice songs and a cute cat; but that's about it.
April 23, 2017
This animated modern telling of Oliver Twist is a fun take of the original tale. While it isn't the best film Disney has ever pumped out, it sure is fun. The Billy Joel music really makes the film what it is and captures the New York City vibe. Using animals to portray the roles of the original film was very Disney of them. The social commentary of Dickens' Original work is lost, however. Which makes the film fall a bit flat when you are familiar with the novel.
April 20, 2017
This movie was hilarious at the first 10 minutes because it was getting extremely bad luck. This movie also had weird scenes with that poodle doing weird... stuff... But overall this movie was funny when I watched it with my friends.
April 17, 2017
New York Times Film Critic Jay Sherman Saw Oliver & Company In Theaters When It Was Originally Released In 1988 And Eight Years Later When It Re-Released In 1996.
February 14, 2017
Oliver & Company is a Disney tradition of the fable, but as a whole it is different from the others. The film reportedly based on the book by Charles Dickens Oliver Twist (even though the main characters are animals), but quite loosely, as the difference between the movie and the book very much.
The plot consists mostly of music and the spectacular scenery of New York, who are well-drawn. Although the characters drawn by musicals seems to be annoying in the movie a lot, the size of the main movie is playing well, and brilliantly plotted background scenery add to the charm. Although dogs street dude like slang seems to be a little too much, is it still a good detail.
January 21, 2017
This was a very good one next to the other favorites from the Disney animation studios.
November 26, 2016
Another Disney Classic :) It makes me smile every time I watch it!
½ November 17, 2016
"Oliver & Company" isn't the greatest feature to come from Disney, but it's a sweet reworking of Oliver Twist that has undeniable warmth.
November 12, 2016
Disney presents the animated film Oliver & Company. As the film's title somewhat suggests, the movie is based on David Copperfield's novel Oliver Twist. The character Oliver Twist is portrayed by a stray cat Oliver (Joey Lawrence), who finds himself among a pack stray dogs. These stray dogs are led by a jazzy cool dog named Dodger (Billy Joel), a feisty Chihuahua Tito (Cheech Marin) and a few others. Each of the dogs are owned by a poor criminal Fagin (Dom DeLuise), and they represent the orphan aspect of the original novel.

Together they are trying to scrape by to survive and are hoping to acquire enough money to pay off a debt that Fagin owes to crime boss Sykes (Robert Loggia). Oliver eventually winds up at a home and the owner's daughter Jenny falls in love with him and decides to keep him. This is much to the dismay of the dog of the house, a spoiled poodle Georgette (Bette Midler). The girl's father is rich, so Fagin comes up with a scheme to ransom Oliver to get the money he owes Fagin. Fagin finds himself in too deep, when Sykes decides it's much more profitable to steal Jenn and ransom her instead. It soon becomes up to Oliver and Company to set everything straight again.

Oliver & Company has some intriguing ways of setting up characters to compare to the original novel so that kids can enjoy it. The story is somewhat weak, but makes up for some great characters. Dodger is an excellent hero, and Oliver is a cute "underdog" that you root for. The supporting cast of Marin and Midler provide much of the film's comedic output. Each of the dogs in the pack has a different personality that keeps the film entertaining. The film's music, and New York backdrop play well with each other to make a well packaged film. The song "Why Should I Worry" is one of the better Disney songs. Sykes and the two dogs make for reasonable villains, but are mostly forgettable amongst some of the iconic Disney villains. The idea of Fagin appearance, and him as a lowly bandit that is trying to do his best, may be confusing at first to early age viewers, but his moral compass eventually steers in the right direction. Oliver & Company is one of the more forgettable Disney classics, but Dodger and Oliver make it stand the test of time.

-11.12.2016
September 24, 2016
When you think of Disney's great animated classics, I doubt very much that this one will make the list. The animation is not overly special, but it does have a few decent moments. There are way better Disney movies out there though.
½ August 15, 2016
Oliver and Company is underrated! It has good characters and catchy songs.
August 12, 2016
If you love Billy Joel, you'll love this film. Animators pick up the pace with a jazzy, upbeat rendition of Dicken's Oliver Twist set in New York, with the real twist being that the characters are dogs. It sounds a little strange on paper but there's no doubt it worked well on the screen. Featuring a superb voice cast featuring Billy Joel and Bette Midler among other fine performances, the film is elevated by infectious rhythms that get your feet tappin'. Disney continues into the Broadway musical-type formula and it definitely pays off. The script is sharp but it's rarely laugh out loud and the human characters seem dull. The movie's forte definitely lies in its canine characters especially considering their originality; Disney has a tendency to reuse certain personality molds especially in their minor characters in other films. But it's those minor characters in Oliver & Co., like a thespian Bulldog and a rowdy Mexican Chihuahua (voiced by Cheech Marin nonetheless), that keep you interested.
August 4, 2016
Before I can clarify this, I have been watching this Disney classic last year because it is awsome and when I was a kid as well. The characters that I totally liked is Dodger voiced by a singer Billy Joel. There's another character called Georgette voiced by another singer called Bette Midler. The only character who is funny is Tito played by Cheech Marin. He's the most funniest dog in this movie, he has all the one-liners. The songs are enjoyably good, they have the jazz and the one that I didn't even notice years ago is Huey Lewis. I repeat, Huey Lewis, not Huey Lewis and the News. I have been singing those songs non stop like Once Upon A Time In New York City, Why Should I Worry and Streets Of Gold. They're always good to listen to and sing. The funny moments are a lot of fun and the chase scene at the end is awsome where the dogs and Fagin being chased by Sykes played by Robert Loggia. The scene where the Dodger and the other dogs find Oliver from Jenny's house is that Einstein sniffs the perfume and then he sneezed and it sounds funny. I even laughed at that non stop when I was a kid and it still carrys on when I got older. Yes, my me and my friends loved and that is why it's Disney.
July 25, 2016
A very feel good film that pet lovers will enjoy.
½ June 18, 2016
While family-friendly, the animation is weak, neithless to say, the songs and story lack of spirit, and there are only a couple of characters that could be considerate almost enjoyable.
½ May 10, 2016
Oliver & Company may not be the 'Masterpiece' people make it out to be, but in my eyes it's a harmless, heartwarming classic.
May 10, 2016
This retelling of Oliver Twist with cats and dogs from the time of the great creative and financial drought the animation house suffered in the 80's is,of course, decidedly lesser Disney. The animation is sometimes a bit below par, especially background stuff, the songs are pretty odd actually, aside from the clear standout "Why should i worry" that gives us a "Billy Joel as a dog" musical number (complete with sunglasses) everything else is really half assed, with not only poor lyrics but with the songs sometimes seemingly half finished ("Streets Of Gold" comes in like a big bolshy showstopper but is over by the times it's begun) and the plot is so thin and underfed that little kitten Oliver has barely settled into the dog gang by the time he is whisked away to a life of potential richness, and then back again, it's a paint by numbers in the extreme of the Dickens tale. Characters too are all given short shrift, Joel's Dodger particularly is given only enough space to come off as a bit of a self centered cock rather than the lovable scamp he was clearly intended to be, shame, like i say it's fun to see the singer as an animated dog version of himself. But Olver And Company is still warm and fun and very watchable, lower down the bottom of the rung of Disney animated studios but still solid and entertaining. As a side note, the bad guys get really surprisingly nasty deaths!
April 30, 2016
Good Music and animation, Oliver and Company is underrated despise it's predictable story
April 23, 2016
Oliver and Company does have some heartwarming scenes, it is entertaining and it has a very good soundtrack with some catchy songs, but this is for the most part a mediocre affair filled with too many characters of which most are underdeveloped or annoying, the animation is quite weak and the plot is quite typical and predictable. It isn't bad as it is perfectly okay, but it is still one of the weakest Disney flicks for sure.
March 27, 2016
La mejor versión para cine de "Oliver Twist". La banda sonora es FANTÁSTICA y una de las mejores en la animación no solo por la canción homenaje a la gran New york, sino también por ese fabuloso Why Should i worry de Billy Joel y Dodger, que magistral! y que personajes, buenas interpretaciones, gran dinámica, sin dejar por fuera lo muy "desagradables" de lo villanos, lo que en cuentas generales me hace no dudar en otorgar 5 estrellas! es excelente!