Oliver & Company - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Oliver & Company Reviews

½ June 18, 2016
While family-friendly, the animation is weak, neithless to say, the songs and story lack of spirit, and there are only a couple of characters that could be considerate almost enjoyable.
½ May 10, 2016
Oliver & Company may not be the 'Masterpiece' people make it out to be, but in my eyes it's a harmless, heartwarming classic.
May 10, 2016
This retelling of Oliver Twist with cats and dogs from the time of the great creative and financial drought the animation house suffered in the 80's is,of course, decidedly lesser Disney. The animation is sometimes a bit below par, especially background stuff, the songs are pretty odd actually, aside from the clear standout "Why should i worry" that gives us a "Billy Joel as a dog" musical number (complete with sunglasses) everything else is really half assed, with not only poor lyrics but with the songs sometimes seemingly half finished ("Streets Of Gold" comes in like a big bolshy showstopper but is over by the times it's begun) and the plot is so thin and underfed that little kitten Oliver has barely settled into the dog gang by the time he is whisked away to a life of potential richness, and then back again, it's a paint by numbers in the extreme of the Dickens tale. Characters too are all given short shrift, Joel's Dodger particularly is given only enough space to come off as a bit of a self centered cock rather than the lovable scamp he was clearly intended to be, shame, like i say it's fun to see the singer as an animated dog version of himself. But Olver And Company is still warm and fun and very watchable, lower down the bottom of the rung of Disney animated studios but still solid and entertaining. As a side note, the bad guys get really surprisingly nasty deaths!
April 30, 2016
Good Music and animation, Oliver and Company is underrated despise it's predictable story
April 23, 2016
Oliver and Company does have some heartwarming scenes, it is entertaining and it has a very good soundtrack with some catchy songs, but this is for the most part a mediocre affair filled with too many characters of which most are underdeveloped or annoying, the animation is quite weak and the plot is quite typical and predictable. It isn't bad as it is perfectly okay, but it is still one of the weakest Disney flicks for sure.
March 27, 2016
La mejor versiůn para cine de "Oliver Twist". La banda sonora es FANTŃSTICA y una de las mejores en la animaciůn no solo por la canciůn homenaje a la gran New york, sino tambiťn por ese fabuloso Why Should i worry de Billy Joel y Dodger, que magistral! y que personajes, buenas interpretaciones, gran dinŠmica, sin dejar por fuera lo muy "desagradables" de lo villanos, lo que en cuentas generales me hace no dudar en otorgar 5 estrellas! es excelente!
½ March 9, 2016
I watched this, at twenty four, for the first time today. It's, admittedly, one of Disney's quicker & cheaper efforts. But it's altogether fantastic and very simple. A brilliant way of depicting 'Oliver Twist' to the youngest generation possible. Catchy songs, too!
February 18, 2016
This movie was ok I like how it took place in New York and the music why should I worry that was a good song
February 12, 2016
One of my favorite Disney films ever since I was a child in the late 90s (even for a 1988 film), "Oliver & Company" is a great film for the family to watch & enjoy. While the plot may be quite predictable (loosely based on the classic story "Oliver Twist", this time more modern), the dog characters portray some of the typical (late 80s) New Yorkers, which makes them unique in humor & drama. The human characters Fagin & Jenny have a lot of sympathy for the animal characters & vice versa. And Oliver, the main kitten character, is the dream pursuer for a good home & loving owner. The songs in this film are quite memorable & very catchy, too. Like I said, "Oliver & Company" is a great film for the family to watch & enjoy!
½ January 29, 2016
A good Disney film and the only take on Oliver twist that I don't hate. I don't care what the critcs say, this film was good.
David T.
January 14, 2016
I grew up watching a lot of Disney films since I was a child and this is probably my favorite one of the late 1980s full of fun songs, fine acting (especially by Billy Joel, who is mostly famous for singing, Bette Midler and child star Joey Lawrence). The opening took my breath away, the opening song "Once Upon A Time In New York City" by Huey Lewis is a perfectly appropriate opening song, since this cute and clever film takes place in the Big Apple. I mean who can't resist something like this? The family will love this piece of work! If you haven't seen it, you should!
October 5, 2015
A harmless modern retelling of Dickens' story with the setting shifted to late 1980s New York City and not a glimpse of the social commentary found in the novel, and it relies too much on its street smart charm and is toned down to be no more than just a fleeting pastime.
September 14, 2015
Lame and forgettable. Incredibly short and made strictly for children. All around is very lackluster. Skippity skip skip skip
August 8, 2015
Disney's most cheesiest work ever.
½ July 18, 2015
So many Disney films by 1988 had its storyline firmly acquired from the archives of great literature. 1953‚??s Peter Pan derived from J.M.Barrie‚??s play of the same name, Rudyard Kipling‚??s The Jungle Book became a feature in 1967, even Disney‚??s first film in 1937 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs originated from the Brothers Grimm‚??s famous fairy tales. I‚??m sure you get the jist by now‚?¶ Disney is possibly the best at recreating and tweaking already great stories whilst at the same time making them their own. So, could Oliver & Company follow in the same steps of previous Disney classics and invent and refashion one of the most renowned and celebrated novels of Charles Dickens? I guess you will soon find out!

The plot of Oliver Twist is essentially the plot for Oliver & Company but with animals in the main roles. It swaps the human Oliver and the human gang with a cat as Oliver and dogs as the gang. Oliver seeks shelter and friendship from a gang of dogs but at first is subjugated and treated unwantedly but as the bonds between them grow tighter, their friendship grows until Oliver is taken to a home to live with a young girl who adores him. The confliction Oliver therefore feels is quite an adult matter but the film does not explore this inner confliction adequately. Yes it is meant to be a film for younger viewers but the great Disney classics deal with adult issues more in-depth and effectively.

Even though there are both human and animal characters, it feels like it is more about the dogs and we tend to prefer it this way. The owner of the dogs just like the novel is Fagin who is of human form, and even though he is a thief we empathise with him because he is good natured and looks after the dogs, but in truth, he is not that likeable because his ruggedness and slack looking stature is quite repellent. Unquestionably, there is something about Fagin that tells you he could have been a better character. There are countless number of Disney films that are successful in partnering humans and animals in the same film together such as The Jungle Book. However, Oliver & Company‚??s problem is that it has too many humans and too many animals in it to even allow it to become intimate. Oliver & Company falls in to the Disney realm of Brother Bear rather than The Jungle Book because we are not able to mould a connection to the characters. Come on, tell me Mowgli and Baloo are not classic human and animal characters!

Animation-wise, there are lots of drab colours and plenty on the screen considering it is set in high-rise New York, but the visuals are not that strong compared to animated films made a quarter of a century earlier. The images are not that striking at any glance; they each don‚??t have any individuality about them making the pictures forgettable.

On the topic of voice acting, Billy Joel as Dodger, Cheech Marin as Tito the Chihuahua and Bette Midler as Georgette the Poodle are standouts amidst a crowd of chaotic voices and sounds. Well, Joel‚??s singing, especially for ‚??Why Should I Worry?‚?? is dizzyingly catchy, Marin‚??s Tito just never stops talking but does bring excitement and vibrancy to the proceedings, and Midler‚??s Poodle is majestically different and probably the most intriguing animal in the film.

Joel‚??s ‚??Why Should I worry‚?? is probably the only song out of all of the ones heard in the film that can actually make the annals of greatest Disney songs. It will play on your tongue over and over again that is how memorable it is. The overall flaw of Oliver & Company is that the first half builds up well and it is more about introducing and developing the animal characters. The songs are catchy and fun and it is representative of Disney‚??s best work, however, the second half of the film starts off to not live up to the first half with its sorrowful tone and disinteresting human characters and therefore the film does unfortunately take a descent into commonness.

Oliver & Company follows in the same steps of previous Disney films by recycling great literature for its storyline but regrettably does not follow in refashioning it in their own transcendent way. Nevertheless, still an enjoyable film for all the family.

‚??‚??‚??‚??‚??‚??‚??‚??‚??‚?? 5/10
June 12, 2015
Oliver and Company is definitely not the best of Disney's animated canon, but it is truly and underrated gem.
June 5, 2015
May not be the best, but I found it fun and enjoyable.
May 28, 2015
i grew up with this film <3
May 13, 2015
75% on my Tomatometer.
March 14, 2015
Cute but slow and forgettable, with a two great songs by Bette Middle and Billy Joel.
Just go to YouTube for the songs.
The animation is adequate but a bit archaic, and the story has very little to do w the original story - IOliver Twist.
But all that aside, it's ok for bored kids on an uneventful rainy Saturday.
Better yet, just send the kids out to play in the puddles - much more memorable than this flick.