Olympus Has Fallen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Olympus Has Fallen Reviews

½ August 5, 2016
I really enjoyed this movie. Not the best action movie and certainly won't win any Oscars but a great movie with really nothing to complain about. It had action but not too much it through in comedy but not too much and well acted. Best movie out right now
August 4, 2016
Lame. Tries to be Die Hard but amps the absurdity up. Die Hard's whole thing was its grittily realistic approach. This involves a massive North Korean terrorist group taking out the White House after shooting down the only two airplanes in the US airforce. With machine guns. Because they fly on both sides of an enemy plane about thirty feet away. In the middle of DC. Brilliant. And then there's some fuss about nuclear launch codes and the like. Blah blah blah. Seen it all a million times. Which is a shame really because Butler's actually really good in the everyman role. But like everyone else he's never really utilized to his full potential.

The film also features an excess of astonishingly bad CGI. Like Lifetime movie bad. Dunno why they couldn't afford better.
August 2, 2016
I don't know whether it's because I've somehow ended up seeing this movie four times now- and have enjoyed it even more with each successive viewing- but Olympus Has Fallen is everything you would like from a movie like this; cheesy action and a heroic protagonist .
Verdict: B+
jamrcla
July 30, 2016
Gerard Butler is back to what he should be doing in his best film since Law Abiding Citizen, This film is allot like the first Die Hard just set in The White House, The film itself is great, Some nice kills, Brilliant action scenes, The effects were pretty good, Lots of explosions and funny one liners that work well, My only problem was that most of the film was very dark which spoilt some scenes but it's a must watch for any action fans.
½ July 29, 2016
Oh My Goodness!!! There were lots of action in this movie. Gerard Butler did a fantastic job in this movie. :D I'm looking forward of seeing the second one, which it will be held in London. Very Exciting!!!
Overall, It's an awesome movie and I'm glad Gerard Butler rescued the president from the terrorists. =)

P.S. I wasn't happy when one of the Secret Service guys betrayed the president, it wasn't like him to do that at all. :(
July 28, 2016
***
It's actually quite good, despite what the critics say, with suspenseful, well filmed action, and terrorists that at times can actually be pretty terrifying. That being said, there's not much, if any, substance.
½ July 25, 2016
Gerard Butler Sucks But I did care for Morgan Freman and Aaron Enkhart.

But This is still a pointless movie.

Score: 4.5/10
½ July 25, 2016
Very good action sequences and concept, but the storyline could've been stronger. Glad they caught up on this in the sequel (London Has Fallen)
July 21, 2016
another great movie was so good and not an action an awesome CGI work did a terrific job doing a movie correct. I give this movie A 10.11. great performance
July 19, 2016
Interesting through out
July 3, 2016
Watch White House Down instead.
½ June 28, 2016
Although Antoine Fuqua's ability to show severe tragedy can make for an emotional film, it often comes at the expensive of a more logical story.

When the White House is taken over by a foreign threat, former Presidential security guard Mike Banning is forced to take matters into his own hands.

One thing, like I said, that I love about Fuqua's directing was his ability to show tragedy really well and I like how he's able to put emotional weight onto situations that other directors might fail to do so. Let me start out by saying that this is a decently violent movie, but there's something about the way he portrayed the death of hundreds in this situation. His ability to get you to emotionally gravitate toward bigger tragedies is something I commend and something I admire.

Gerald Butler did a great job as the lead in this movie and really gave a great performance. On the Blu-Ray cover for this film, Gerald Butler, Aaron Eckhart, and Morgan Freeman are listed on the front cover. I do agree that Butler and Eckhart were the stars of the film, carrying the majority of the film throughout, but it also feels like they have Freeman just to have him. I don't like that he's advertised so largely on the cover, but overall, the acting in this movie was solid for what it was.

The visuals for me were half and half. Sometimes, the visuals looked perfectly fine. Others, it looked like I was watching animation on an old computer play out in front of my eyes. It felt like there was just a bunch of destruction for the sake of destruction, and although that's entertaining, it was accompanied by inconsistent visuals.

There's not much to say about this movie. It was an alright time with a plot that doesn't stray to far from the formula and what seems to be an indestructible hero. Nothing here really makes sense but it can be decent entertainment for any action buffs.
June 26, 2016
Its far-fetched and there are truly awful sub-plots, but as far as enjoyable mindless action goes, I've seen far worse... Its not gonna become a genre standard, but if you time to waste... barely passes for me
Resonant Line: "General Edward Clegg: I am giving you a direct order!
Mike Banning: Newsflash asshole - I don't work for you."
½ June 26, 2016
Too such a die hard feel.
June 15, 2016
It was good I thought White House Down
Was good to
June 11, 2016
Damn great action movie! It's too bad this wasn't Die Hard 5 instead, but as is, it's a fun send up to old school, hard-as-nails action.
½ June 5, 2016
Overkill ... but, heck, Avengers and Transformers are worse. Tension felt real despite both implausible and predictable plot points. Some weak CGI, but still 4-Stars for action and drama.
June 5, 2016
Banning was failed to save the president's wife once, but he didn't fail the second time when White House was taken over by outsiders.
May 30, 2016
great action sequence and lots of bombs and fight, but story and characters aren't as strong.
May 24, 2016
Olympus Has Fallen doesn't find the same character depth or intensity, the real human feeling, or the raw gritty emotion as found in Antoine Fuqua's best work (and one of the best movies of the last twenty years), Training Day, but the underrated director does bring a powerful, mostly no-frills style to the movie that helps it move beyond the unmistakable sense of déjà vu that permeates nearly very scene. He also gives the movie a serious edge without moving it beyond the arena of popcorn sensationalism. It's a quality balance and the film is better off taking a more serious edge rather than forcing in lame characters and even lamer comic relief. Audiences looking for high art should already know to skip, but Action fans won't find a significantly better product this year.