Olympus Has Fallen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Olympus Has Fallen Reviews

July 3, 2016
Watch White House Down instead.
½ June 28, 2016
Although Antoine Fuqua's ability to show severe tragedy can make for an emotional film, it often comes at the expensive of a more logical story.

When the White House is taken over by a foreign threat, former Presidential security guard Mike Banning is forced to take matters into his own hands.

One thing, like I said, that I love about Fuqua's directing was his ability to show tragedy really well and I like how he's able to put emotional weight onto situations that other directors might fail to do so. Let me start out by saying that this is a decently violent movie, but there's something about the way he portrayed the death of hundreds in this situation. His ability to get you to emotionally gravitate toward bigger tragedies is something I commend and something I admire.

Gerald Butler did a great job as the lead in this movie and really gave a great performance. On the Blu-Ray cover for this film, Gerald Butler, Aaron Eckhart, and Morgan Freeman are listed on the front cover. I do agree that Butler and Eckhart were the stars of the film, carrying the majority of the film throughout, but it also feels like they have Freeman just to have him. I don't like that he's advertised so largely on the cover, but overall, the acting in this movie was solid for what it was.

The visuals for me were half and half. Sometimes, the visuals looked perfectly fine. Others, it looked like I was watching animation on an old computer play out in front of my eyes. It felt like there was just a bunch of destruction for the sake of destruction, and although that's entertaining, it was accompanied by inconsistent visuals.

There's not much to say about this movie. It was an alright time with a plot that doesn't stray to far from the formula and what seems to be an indestructible hero. Nothing here really makes sense but it can be decent entertainment for any action buffs.
June 26, 2016
Its far-fetched and there are truly awful sub-plots, but as far as enjoyable mindless action goes, I've seen far worse... Its not gonna become a genre standard, but if you time to waste... barely passes for me
Resonant Line: "General Edward Clegg: I am giving you a direct order!
Mike Banning: Newsflash asshole - I don't work for you."
½ June 26, 2016
Too such a die hard feel.
June 15, 2016
It was good I thought White House Down
Was good to
June 11, 2016
Damn great action movie! It's too bad this wasn't Die Hard 5 instead, but as is, it's a fun send up to old school, hard-as-nails action.
½ June 5, 2016
Overkill ... but, heck, Avengers and Transformers are worse. Tension felt real despite both implausible and predictable plot points. Some weak CGI, but still 4-Stars for action and drama.
June 5, 2016
Banning was failed to save the president's wife once, but he didn't fail the second time when White House was taken over by outsiders.
May 30, 2016
great action sequence and lots of bombs and fight, but story and characters aren't as strong.
May 24, 2016
Olympus Has Fallen doesn't find the same character depth or intensity, the real human feeling, or the raw gritty emotion as found in Antoine Fuqua's best work (and one of the best movies of the last twenty years), Training Day, but the underrated director does bring a powerful, mostly no-frills style to the movie that helps it move beyond the unmistakable sense of déjà vu that permeates nearly very scene. He also gives the movie a serious edge without moving it beyond the arena of popcorn sensationalism. It's a quality balance and the film is better off taking a more serious edge rather than forcing in lame characters and even lamer comic relief. Audiences looking for high art should already know to skip, but Action fans won't find a significantly better product this year.
½ May 17, 2016
I know that I shouldn't take this movie seriously but I am that kind of a person. The plot is unbearable due to its' simplicity and the characters could had been developed much better. VFX is cringing and many continuity errors. Olympus has fallen is another typical american patriotic cheesy badass action movie that casual moviegoers might enjoy.
May 16, 2016
Rewatch. AMERICA FUCK YEAH! This is so cringey but the action is first class. The siege on the White House is spectacular. Although I feel that it would have been a much better film with a different actor in the lead. Butler is a nasty cunt though and gets the job done.
May 10, 2016
Olympus Has Fallen is a fun action flick that deserves to be watched.
½ May 2, 2016
An enjoyable surprise that brings back 80s and 90s action to mainstream media and attention in a time where gritty, dark, realism take the demand.
½ April 14, 2016
Disappointing, no storyline but good action.
April 14, 2016
I enjoyed this movie alot. It was a good movie. So much action and the thrilled was awesome couldn't stop watching it. Great movie. :-) And the guy who played Mike Benning was HOT. ;-)
½ April 13, 2016
Olympus has Fallen nos ofrece dos horas de acción lleno de intriga, aunque ligeramente predecible, no deja de ser una película que se puede disfrutar.
April 13, 2016
Very good action, exactly what it was billed as.
½ April 8, 2016
"Die Hard in the White House", yet easily one of the most entertaining and well crafted action movies in recent years, benefitting from its R rating, and favorable comparison to the similar but less impressive White House Down, released slightly later the same year.
April 2, 2016
Great American movie, even better than "Zero Dark Thirty".Makes you love being American and hate Asians haha. would definitely recommend it to anyone!