Omega Doom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Omega Doom Reviews

½ February 6, 2016
lol Pretty awful ultra low budget sci-fi flick. Still, it has some heart and plays in a pretty creative universe, even if it's just another reworking of Yojimbo.
½ June 24, 2015
I can see why its not much liked, the special effects are very basic even for the late 90s, action is minimal and even the fight choreography isn't great. And it doesn't really have any killer lines that might make it a cult movie. But I personally found something mesmerizing about it. Strangely not by watching Hauer, who is far below his best (they might better have got Eastwood to reprise his role as Yojimbo/The Man With No Name). But more from observing the minor actors (the majority being female, unusually for sci-fi). Though technically populated only by androids (as the constant whirring of motors reminds us), its really a movie about people, their hopes and fears. There's also a confused messianic message, which, had it been better explained, might have made more sense of the whole thing.
½ March 24, 2015
Takes place shortly after mankind has effectively lost a war with robots leaving only a few survivors in hiding. Meanwhile a robot whose prime directive of destroying the human race has malfunctioned spars with different groups of droids afraid of a human reprisal if they find a hidden cache of weapons. I'm fairly sure bit of music used in this film was ripped off of Ennio Morricone. Stars two of my all-time favourites - Rutger Hauer and Shannon Whirry (although there is simply not enough Whirry).
January 26, 2012
Great Rutger Hauer performance but a not so great movie.
½ November 26, 2011
This came as part of a double feature with Blind Fury on DVD. While I liked it a bit more than Blind Fury, it moves a bit slowly, doesn't show enough of the "post-apocalyptic wasteland" mentioned in the synopsis, and has too few fight scenes to break up the monotony. The story has no human characters, and the humanity they try to infuse in the shallow robots falls flat. Hauer turns in his usual low-key performance.
½ November 16, 2011
Good god this movie is BAD. Atrocious visual and audio effects. Made for TV dreck. Terrible dialog.
February 16, 2011
This film's premise had promise but as you go on the story starts to make less and less sense. For example one of the Robots in the film has a "Water Bar" Why would a a Robot need to drink Water if it is non organic? Rutger Hauer and the actor who plaid "The Head" seem to be the only two actor's in this film who could act! This film feels like a really bad attempt at a Blade Runner sequel and fails on almost all levels!
September 21, 2010
The late 90s post apocalyptic direct-to-video approach to Yojimbo. It's pretty bad on a massive scale, not even bad enough to laugh at. Its only saving grave is the power of Hauer, which was lacking anyway. This was just a bad translation with none of the character counterparts making sense and there being literally no budget. Sadly, it's nothing like Kurosawa or Sergio Leone's previous movies.
January 8, 2010
I was disappointed in this film. I had some expectations considering that it starred Rutger Hauer but it did not really matter. The movie was just slow and had very little interest to it at all. It was a short film as well and still was very slow. It felt like there was no real beginning or end. I had no idea who to root or whatever. It was just sad to watch maybe one or two funny parts. The head was really annoying. Overall, I was really bored and the story was just did not seem to add up to anything.
½ July 26, 2009
I loved this film. It's full of self doubting robots ( huge hint that they have become sentient) great lighting and has a general dodge city/ spaghetti western feel to it.

It also has an admirable amount of silliness in it and some very stylish, almost Bauhaus looking robots.

Rough round the edges and all the better for it.
½ June 2, 2009
One of Rutger's weirder movies, but still a damn good find. If you are a fan of post-apocalyptic Sci-Fi movies, you should go find this at your local video store and pop it in the ol' DVD. In my opinion, worth buying if you have the chance.
March 22, 2009
Starring Rutger Hauer, 'Omega Doom' is one of the few halfway decent outings from "one of the most vituperated directors of all time" Albert Pyun. This movie is pure Pyun too; it has all the usual suspects and reeks of his MO: obnoxious, wise-cracking female cyborgs, dystopian/post-apocalyptic landscapes, and a highly eroticized cyber punk sensibility melded with inpenetrable but engaging themes (man, machine, hope, despondence). It has all the ingredients that made his most successful films (Cyborg, Nemesis) work.

Rutger Hauer is the lead character, Omega Doom/Guardian Angel, a cyborg programmed to kill humans, but is shot in the head in a bloody war at the beginning, loses his memory, and now is awol in some ghost town and gets into all sorts of Yojimbo/Last Man Standing hi-jinks. I was a big fan of Hauer growing up- stuff like 'Split Second,' Wanted' and, of course, 'the Hitcher,' were off-the-chain and I ate his output up with a spoon. He's pretty good here, and doesn't seem to mail it in at all.

The secondary character aren't too memorable- we have, as mentioned previously, the wise-cracking cyborg chicks (which reminded me of the cyborg chicks in Nemesis)- they engage in more talk than action, exchange a few cold, sardonic quips, and get dealt with accordingly by Hauer at the end. There's another dude at the beginning who has these bad, blue contacts like Vincent Klynn in 'Cyborg.' There's also a "head," a cyborg getting kicked around by the baddies in the town and always seems to lose his body. He was more annoying than anything else, and the special effects for his head were total bad sci fi DTV.

This movie is like most of Pyun's movies- overly short, high on inane dialog, and taking place on maybe three or four sets tops. I guess a good amount of action happened, but like many of Pyun's films, you feel almost like nothing happened. This movie shares many kinships with the dystopian themes of 'Cyborg' and Pyun's best realized work 'Nemesis,' but there doesn't seem to be too much room to explore them here because everybody spends half the movie talking or waiting for the ten minute spaghetti western guitar theme to stop before they draw on each other. It's obvious watching this that Pyun was heavily influenced by Sergio Leoni in the feel and way he sets up the exposition and action, and I can't say it was a total failure. He pulls it off quite well, but again, the movie is just too short (with the five minute closing credits, it runs shorter than 75 minutes).

I am a fan of this because I saw it back in the day, but I watched it again recently with 'Nemesis' and Cyborg and found that it lacks 'Nemesis'' substance, and the drive-in fun of 'Cyborg.' Nonetheless, there are worse movies you could be watching (like Good Luck Chuck).
March 22, 2009
Starring Rutger Hauer, 'Omega Doom' is one of the few halfway decent outings from "one of the most vituperated directors of all time" Albert Pyun. This movie is pure Pyun too; it has all the usual suspects and reeks of Pyun's MO: obnoxious, wise-cracking female cyborgs, dystopian/post-apocalyptic landscapes, and a highly eroticized cyber punk sensibility melded with inpenetrable but engaging themes (man, machine, hope, despondence). It has all the ingredients that made his most successful films (Cyborg, Nemesis) work.

This movie is like most of Pyun's movies- overly short, high on inane dialog, and taking place on maybe three or four sets tops. I guess a good amount of action happened, but like many of Pyun's films, you feel almost like nothing happened. This movie shares many kinships with the dystopian themes of 'Cyborg' and Pyun's best realized work 'Nemesis,' but there doesn't seem to be too much room to explore them here because everybody spends half the movie talking or waiting for the ten minute spagetti western guitar theme to stop before they draw on each other. It's obvious watching this that Pyun was heavily influenced by Sergio Leon in the feel and way he sets up the exposition and action, and I can't say it was a total failure. He pulls it off quite well, but again, the movie is just too short.

½ February 10, 2009
Well I like Rutger Hauer but this B-movie production was boring... there are no other word for it. If you have to watch it... bring some alcohol ;-)
½ January 12, 2009
Wants to be Blade Runner. Isn't.
December 9, 2008
No matter what people often say about albert pyuns movie's, i often find them very entertaining and extreamly atmospheric, this one is another post apocaliptic tale about about groups of robots terrified of a human invasion and therefore are looking for some weapons to fight them with. excellent soundtrack too.
November 9, 2008
Despite it being made in 1996, you'd be forgiven for thinking that the rather naffly named "Omega Doom" was a product of ten years earlier with its post-apocalyptic cyber-gothic feel. But despite that, and a few cheesy lines here and there, I think it's a small piece of genius.
With no humans in this story of a land devastated by android wars where pockets of robots are still fighting it out amongst the ruins, the plot centres around Rutger Haur's soldier robot entering the rubble of a town where two factions of robots - one a race of female cyber-Goth assassins, and the other reminiscent of a gang of outlaws from a Western - are poised in the middle of a standoff.
Omega Doom - Haur's character - teams up with a disembodied robot head (who has several failed and incredibly slapstick attempts throughout the film to find a suitable new body and legs) and plots to break the standoff.
It's a film where, like Bladerunner and the much later I,Robot but without the laziness of the CGI effects, robots try to come to terms with and reflect upon their human-ness. Omega Doom is a small scale film shot in a small-scale environment with the bare minimum of locations, but this gives it a theatrical edge and works for it very well.
The lack of CGi means actors having to do old-fashioned "robotics" to look like androids, something that they carry off very well, and a few shards of metal make up protruding here and there with the occasional spark, is surprisingly effective to make them seem wholly non-human.
I often think that the lower-budget movies (Albert Pyun was faced with serious budget cuts while making this) carry a lot of atmosphere the big productions can't pull off as the director is forced into a closer relationship with the characters and setting to enable oit to do what he wants without being able to simply throw money at it.
Omega Doom is a great film for sci-fi B-Movie buffs or fans of early cyber-goth.
October 2, 2008
Pretty Horrible. I hadn't seen any Albert Pyun films, but I had heard about them, and this lives up to what I've heard. It's horrible. Some of its kind of funny, the guy who plays Marko is pretty hilarious. Droids drink water like we drink beer?! WTF MATE. God the more I think about it, the more things that are wrong with this movie come to mind. Why did Pyun think some of those things would be a good idea? It boggles the mind.
September 28, 2008
Robots can't breath -- Yet they do in this movie. Nice....

And the main robot is a middle-aged looking fellow who after getting shot in the head goes on a rampage to stop all the evil in the robotic world, and as with all the continuity issues with this movie I wouldn't be suprised if Omega did it out of the kindness of his heart.

I will say though, if you like picking out continuity issues and glaring plotholes then you've chosen the right movie!
½ August 14, 2008
Anything with Rutger Hauer Rocks! Check it out...