On Guard Reviews

• Dec 05, 2012

• Sep 05, 2011

Swordplay in the classic style. Great fun. Watched it 4 times then my old vhs tape gave up the ghost and snapped. Daniel Auteuil is a great actor.....so versatile.....'Harry' in 'The Eighth Day' and 'Ugolin' in 'Jean de Florette'. In 'Le Bossu' he ends up holding the baby.....and there's a hunchback in it (again). Very good film if you like The Three Musketeer type movie.....french style.

• Aug 01, 2011

A plot worthy of Dumas but, alas, the execution is not there.

A plot worthy of Dumas but, alas, the execution is not there.

• Apr 19, 2011

Rousing, old-fashioned swashbuckler.

Rousing, old-fashioned swashbuckler.

• Feb 24, 2011

Brilliant story, cast and performance! Highly recommended :-)

Brilliant story, cast and performance! Highly recommended :-)

• Stella D Super Reviewer
    Nov 26, 2010

outlandish but loads of fun. the kind of film i thought they didn't make anymore: swashbuckling in grand style!

• Stephen M Super Reviewer
    Nov 26, 2010

As someone who doesn't make enough effort to track down the movies he'd really like to see, and who rarely troubles to watch anything a second time, the fact that I've now seen <I>Le Bossu</I> three times - having actively hunted for it on two of those three occasions(!) - must mean that I'm rather fond of it. Yes, some of the plot developments take a little swallowing, the love story is kind of kinky and the film never quite recovers from the loss of Vincent Perez, but it's romantic to a fault, the period recreation is exquisite, the performances are delightful and there's literally an exciting twist or turn every five or so minutes. What I admire most about <I>Le Bossu</I>, however, is that it's a textbook example of that seemingly effortless French lightness of touch which Hollywood invariably translates into indigestible stodge. Daniel Auteuil is wonderful here.

• Sep 04, 2010

Really swashbuckly and cute and funny... except for the sort-of-incesty romance storyline. I could have done without that. WHYYYYYYYYYYYY?

• Jan 27, 2010

Hunchback! Albinoes! Treacherous (Italian) villains! Cute frenche underaged damsels! En Garde! It's the ultimate swashbuckling feulletton dream flick. Love it, or surrender!

• Arash X Super Reviewer