On Her Majesty's Secret Service - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

On Her Majesty's Secret Service Reviews

January 4, 2017
131123: 6th Bond Film. Spoiler Alert! Started this movie a while ago and then stopped because I wasn't paying attention at the time. Finally sat down and watched it fully and, I must say, this is likely my favourite Bond film so far. Starts a little slow but picks up speed and finishes fast...and tragically. Did not really like Lazenby's Bond. This would've been a five star movie if Connery or another more familiar actor had played the part as James. Found myself laughing out loud on a few occasions and really enjoyed the action, women. No shortage of both in this story. Think Diana Rigg, as Tracy Di Vicenzo, is my favourite Bond girl so far. Also fully enjoyed the "Country Girls". Having Bond getting captured as a result of his libido was a great idea. This film also leads down paths I didn't expect as James falls in love etc. Shocked at the finale but it hopefully leads to some serious revenge stories in the future (can't remember the next films in the series but it seems this story line could lead to some nasty payback). Enjoy, this was my favourite so far.
½ December 19, 2016
One of the best Bond films.
½ November 17, 2016
One of the best of the series. Lazenby's first and only turn as bond has a refreshing lack of confidence. This probably came from him replacing an iconic actor in an iconic role, but helps portray the character as less of an unstoppable superhero and more of a regular guy. On top of that you've got every other major ingredient of a classic bond outing including one of the most memorable Bond girls to date.
½ November 7, 2016
Peter Hunt directs with the same precision and attention to detail that he does with his editing. This is a gorgeous looking movie. The pace is a little uneven, with the bulk of the action packed tightly into the last 45 minutes or so but its well worth the wait. George Lazenby does OK as the new Bond and comes out of it fine considering his inexperience. A personal favourite, it's one of the best in the franchise.
October 25, 2016
New guy did fine, don't see how he is a model. Blofield is different, no scar. Started fine, got boring with endless chases. Married girl, she gets killed in the end
½ September 25, 2016
A good movie. There are many flaws, though. George Lazenby was not James Bond in any way that Connery was. The little montage of Tracy and Lazenby really annoyed me. Tracy was a good Bond girl I guess. Telly Savalas was good as Blofeld.
Christopher O.
½ August 7, 2016
My first viewing of the one Bond film that featured an actor only once as the British super spy. More spy film less comedy and double meanings Lazenby was rather good as Bond and fit the tuxedo well enough. DIana Rigg is beautiful and exciting and now my favorite Bond girl. Savalas also plays the villain with aplomb. Beautiful scenery and nerve breaking stunts on skis, cars and bobsleds. Maybe a little too long is my major complaint. 07-31-2016
July 29, 2016
OHMSS is like the ugly duckling in the Franchise, unloved, but radically different
jamrcla
July 29, 2016
George Lazenbys one and only Bond film should of been a disaster but it was better than I was expecting, Introducing a new Bond was always going to hard to get used to but Lazenby does a good job even though it felt like sometimes the film makers were either giving Sean Connery the middle finger or trying to tell him that we still miss you by making sarcastic comments and showing us old gadgets and little nods towards previous Bond films, The story was good but the way it was told made an hour of the film drag on and was quite a bore, But where this Bond shines is in the action, There's no silly gadgets but doesn't get rid of those stupid one liners, But it has some good fight scenes and some very well shot chases car and skiing, Lazenby put more effort into the action in one film than Sean Connery ever did, Plus the ending was different to the others that worked well, I wouldn't of minded seeing Lazenby back as Bond even though character wise Connery suited the role better, Even though the film is over long and drags during its down time the action makes up for it.
½ July 25, 2016
It's sad how many people don't even know this movie exists. It is a real gem in all of the James Bond outings. George Lazenby is honestly not that bad. I wish we could have seen him expand in more Bond films. Very heart wrenching ending.
July 23, 2016
8 out of 10:

The runtime for this movie was dragged out, but other than that, On Her Majesty's Secret Service has really exciting action scenes and is probably the most visually stunning Bond movie.
July 23, 2016
A great example of British Cinema, and had it had Connery in it, it might have even been better than Goldfinger.
July 16, 2016
This is the only Bond film with that fella George Lazenby as 007, and it doesn't exactly have the best reputation in the saga, possibly due to that controversial casting choice. In truth, Lazenby is a bizarre affair: only partially decent and never really convincing as Bond, he is nevertheless not below par and he's definitely not distracting you from the film. Apart from that, it's business as usual: super-evil Blofeld is back and Bond is on his trail, giving us some good, vintage eye-candy.
½ July 14, 2016
Riggs and the ski chases not withstanding, the writing was trite and the editing was horrible. I can't believe this rated so high!
July 13, 2016
mostly boring with a cool ski chase and a couple far fetched death scenes.
July 10, 2016
Good acting and action scenes, though too lengthy, effects are dated, and dubbing is strange. Powerful ending
June 15, 2016
6/15/2016: My least favorite bond film so far. Other than the Bond girl, there really wasn't anything to enjoy in this film.
June 13, 2016
An entry in the James Bond franchise that may have gained a higher rating had Sean Connery stayed on or Roger Moore has joined earlier.
June 12, 2016
great story, characters, location and all. could've been phenomenal but george lazenby killed 007 as hayden christtensen killed star wars
June 4, 2016