On the Basis of Sex - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

On the Basis of Sex Reviews

January 22, 2019
Wonderful movie about a wonderful woman.
January 22, 2019
A feel good that at the same time infuriates you.
January 21, 2019
Um not my kinda story, boring from my perspective, but I was forced to attend so my attitude wasnâ(TM)t supportive, still the last 30 minutes had my head bobbing
January 21, 2019
This is such a throwback movie. It's not made in a modern style, but rather a great story told with a certain amount of inspirational bombast, at least at the end, with the swelling music, clutched hands, victory hugging, etc. That fails horribly if the subject matter is inadequate, or the movie hasn't earned that payoff by getting into all the important details. This movie has that, and uses a decent amount of legalese at times, so it's not dumbed down. Plus, all this stuff really happened. See it with a daughter or son you love. Then ask them if they can conceive of a country where all those hundreds of laws were still in place. If they can't, thank RBG for doing her job.
One other reason to see it - a fabulous functioning marriage with kids. How refreshing to see that on the screen!
January 21, 2019
Great movie. You will want to see with your daughter. I found it uplifting and well acted
½ January 21, 2019
Really enjoyed this one...I admire her so much!
½ January 21, 2019
Horribly boring non-event movie. Would rather watch paint dry.
½ January 21, 2019
Very well made. Everybody under 45 should see this move!
January 20, 2019
One broach to rule them all. This movie centers around a point in RBG's history when she took a role in a tax law case that her husband, Marty, found. A never married was blocked from claiming a caregiver tax exemption as he was paying a nurse to help care for his ageing mother while he was working as a salesman. The law then said he was not eligible because he was a man, and the caregiver tax law was written by the legislative branch for women or men who had lost their caregiving women due to death. Felicity Jones (Jyn Erso: Rogue One) gives a compelling performance as RBG. I think the actual Marty Ginsberg would have been flattered to see the deft performance given by the ever handsome Armie Hammer. The supporting cast (Sam Waterston, Justin Theroux, Cailee Spaeny, etc) are all good. Kathy Bates appears for a few minutes to wake this movie up and she has about the only old school scenery-chewing lines. They are the best lines aside from a little speech Marty (Hammer) has with daughter Jane (Spaeny). On The Basis of Sex is a very tightly constructed movie for dramatic effect, (read not historically literal). Every line, and character entrance, exit and glance is built to add to the drama. There is not an ounce of aimless fat in this film. This movie does not exist in a vacuum separate of the political climate. Honestly the movie can and should be appreciated by everyone, largely for its historical bent and its mastery of dramatic story telling rhythm.
January 20, 2019
Although well intentioned, On the Basis of Sex seemed like a Lifetime movie. The added drama and humor(cancer, bratty child, Gorment-cooking-brilliant-lawyer husband, rampant sexism)still made the story important and needed to be seen and heard. The Ginsbergs were/are such decent people focusing on their wonderful marriage in conjunction with this landmark case almost seemed unnecessary.
Nate Z.
½ January 20, 2019
Given the high-profile treatment of a popular documentary and an awards-bait caliber feature, you'd be forgiven for thinking that people either thought justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg was due for recognition or was about to die. On the Basis of Sex takes more than a few nods from 2012's Lincoln, showcasing its subject trying to pass key reforms/legislation as a means of better insight into his or her lasting legacy. To that end the film is a success. It's an intelligent legal procedural taking time to find judicial footholds, craft compelling arguments, and the back-and-forth challenges of overturning hundreds of years of precedent that viewed women as essentially lesser. If you enjoy rhetorical debates on legal minutia, this might be the movie for you. However, if you wanted to get a better understanding of Ginsburg (Felicity Jones) the person, then you're out of luck. She's more or less the vessel for social justice and the film keeps her more as a lionized symbol for change than as a person. Her frustrations, such as being denied the same opportunities as men, are meant to serve as a reminder of the frustrations of the many. There are a handful of scenes with dismissive, doddering middle-aged men that feel too stagy, and yet I'm sure that these same curt comments and patronizing behaviors were a daily affair (and still are). Jones doesn't feel like she has a full grasp on the character beyond as symbol (her Brooklyn accent is a bit slippery as well). You also get to process the reality of Ginsburg as a sexual being as she initiates PG-13 sex with her supportive husband (Armie Hammer). It's kind of like thinking about your parents having sex. On the Basis of Sex feels a bit, ironically enough, too old-fashioned. It's got dramatic courtroom showdowns, including an eleventh hour speech, and all the old Oscar bait tropes we'd expect from this sort of movie. It plays to every expectation of its audience. Beyond learning about the legal arguments, there's nothing new or insightful here. Stick with the RBG documentary and hear the same stories from the real deal herself.

Nate's Grade: B-
January 20, 2019
The film was entertaining, well-acted, believable, with good direction, and had applicable costumes and scenery. Most important, it conveyed a very important message of treating all people with equal opportunities that our constitution requires but still is not always followed.
January 20, 2019
If you want an objective view of her life don't see this movie. Its a poor piece of hollywood fiction.
January 20, 2019
Worth the money seeing at the theater
January 19, 2019
Was just ok. Held my attention for the most part. I think the good acting had something to do with that. Otherwise the movie got a little boring and repetitive towards the end. Nothing climatic about the story. Didn't know much about her going in and left feeling eh about her story. She must have done something right to earn her current position on the Supreme Court, but this movie didn't highlight that at all.
January 19, 2019
I am certainly NOT going to waste my time on a liberal movie. NOT impressed.
½ January 19, 2019
I loved this movie. Yes, it was predictable. But the message brought a tear to my eye, and I could see it affected many in the audience the same way. It gave me hope that we can overcome the odds of laws do not honor equality of all kinds, and in this day and age that kind of hope is priceless. I highly recommend that parents take their teenage daughters to see this movie, as well as watch several episodes of Mad Men, to see just what RBG was up against.
January 19, 2019
Shes a legend & deserves a fun depiction as this film provides. RBG, liked it, how can I not!!!
January 19, 2019
This is a wonderful movie. We both cried it was so stirring. I highly recommend it.