Once Upon a Forest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Once Upon a Forest Reviews

½ May 4, 2009
OMG this is childhood FAVORITE!! I've seen it so many times I've memorized the lines!!
July 9, 2007
Oi vei. The animation is fairly shoddy, mixed with a mind-numbing script and Michael Crawford's RIDICULOUS "r"-rolling = avoid if at all possible.
½ July 29, 2012
A very nostalgic animated film for children who grew up in the 90s. Even though it did not manage to make more than its $13million budget, Once Upon a Forest is an underrated classic that could still entertain the young children of today.
September 17, 2012
While nothing about is is groundbreaking, Once Upon a Forest is still whimsical enough for children to enjoy.
August 26, 2012
When it comes to movies that are more aimed toward children but still have an adult message behind it, I have some lofty expectations: smooth animation, a strong soundtrack, and a great plot. What this movie lacks from other ones I've seen lately is a strong voice cast - and I read some reviews that linked this movie with Fern Gully, which was OVERLY cheesy and ridiculous - but when I watched this with an open mind and heart, I put all that aside and was actually quite impressed. Aside from one sort-of over the top scene where birds sing in some sort of revival, you have to look at the overlying themes to truly appreciate this film: the innocence but loving and togetherness of childhood, the effects of our actions on the environment, and the efforts ones will undertake to save their fellow kind, no matter what the cost. If you look past the head-scratchers and eventually put the pieces together, you'll develop a stronger understanding of this movie, just like I did. Happy endings eventually abound and the major lesson is this: Hope springs eternal, if you just believe. "Once Upon A Forest" should leave you with warmth in your heart, lessons in your mind, and a sense that you can do anything you put your mind to with a little faith.
½ January 19, 2012
I hated this movie as a kid, and I hate it now. Like all environmentalist films, it's just boring and preachy. And whose bright idea was it to have a girl's parents get killed by a toxic gas spill in a children's film? This movie just scared and upset me as a kid. I will admit, I love the song Michael Crawford sings toward the beginning. Other than that, this movie just flat-out sucks.
½ October 6, 2009
** (out of four)

I love animation, but this painfully obvious 'toon about orest friends endangered by toxic fumes is a boring and unimaginatve mess.
½ July 20, 2009
MAN! I watched this at Charieses last night. I forgot how awesome this movie was! ThX to CHARIESE! I hate forgetting the good parts of my childhood. and tonight a good movie , this one, resurfaced
½ March 3, 2009
I loved it when I was younger.... And I love it now! If I ever have children I hope they will love this movie just as much as I do.
April 28, 2008
A wonderful animated film outside the realm of the Disney studio! Though it's been a while since I saw this film, from my initial viewings when I was a young child, I actually enjoyed this film -- even though the film has nothing to do with Disney. I think some of the greatest animated films were created during the late 80s and early 90s, i.e.: Beauty And The Beast, for example (the only animated film to ever be nominated for an Oscar fro Best Picture). Though this film was nowhere on par with the film that was previously mentioned, it did however, delivered a great message of deforestation and balancing the growth of man within the area. I guess you could say this film was somewhat similar to "FernGully," it is however, more down-to-earth. "FernGully" was a little too series and played too much with our emotions, whereas this film was more upbeat -- minus the scenes when the kids escape the animal controls -- the film's overall environment was, well, exciting. The film's characters were fun, and each has their own personality. The film's story and plot were a little mediocre, then again, what do you expect from a children's movie? I honestly think this film was one of the most underrated animated films from the 20th Century Fox, but overall, the film was quite entertaining when I saw it as a young child. And I wouldn't mind viewing it again some of these days. The film was enjoyable and well made (for family viewing).
½ December 11, 2007
I used to love this movie! I cant even remember anyhting about it except i think its kinda sad...wow i need to see this again lol
October 6, 2007
Like 'Ferngully', 'Once Upon a Forest' spells out the same message ? forest creatures are good and man and his destructive fumes and bulldozers are bad. The message is spelled out in this movie in these terms: the fuzzy woodland heroes are herbal vegetarians and man is a meat-eating source of environmental apathy.
September 18, 2007
I FRICKEN LOVED this movie as a kid. I can't tell you how many times I rented it. That being said, the rating is totally based on my opinion of it about ten years ago
½ September 15, 2007
omg i totally forgot about his movie! My little cousin andi watched this all the time back in the day. I love it!
August 27, 2007
I watched this so long ago as a kid, and I saw it again on TV! Great movie! (Very weird though for some parts. No wonder I had to watch it again.)
March 2, 2016
I Loved the movie. I think they did the best and better than they could with the limited budget and coming out a bit after Jurassic Park. I think it would have been better if the movie was longer and brought out the characters a bit more.
All in all, I Loved the movie.
½ February 14, 2016
Dumb and bizarre, depressing, pretentious, manipulative, cheezy, cliche, worse than Ferngully. Crawford is overrated. Ugh and the musical numbers.
December 7, 2015
I'm not really sure why this has so many negative reviews. I just watched it with 2/3 of my children yesterday (ages 6 and 8) and we all really enjoyed it. To start with, the animation was fantastic. The plot was interesting and kept everyone watching from start to finish. The "message" of the film was not, to me, heavy-handed or pushy, especially compared to Fern Gully, which came out around the same time. And yes, there was one part involving the death of two characters that was a bit "harsh", but this is certainly not the first animated film to do that and definitely not the last either.
½ August 10, 2015
Simply horrible, this movie has no redeeming qualities, the animation isnt up to par with other movies of the time the story is a retread on what we've seen before and the characters are terribly designed and completely unlikable. stay away from this mess
March 23, 2015
A great childhood favorite.. It might not have top notch animation, story, or amazing characters, but definitely not for the faint of heart. Still an adorable movie a lot of kids can enjoy. I sure did. A few critics can't change that!