Once Upon a Time in America - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Once Upon a Time in America Reviews

April 26, 2017
Long and confusing gangster classic similar to the godfather
½ April 23, 2017
We've got the 229 minutes version!!
April 9, 2017
Best film you'll ever watch in your life fact
March 29, 2017
A masterpiece by a master of his craft. Sergio Leone passed up The Godfather for this labor of love. It ended up being his last movie, seeing as he stepped away from making them for a bit. The studio butchered this movie for an American edit that ditched its intended story telling method as well as cutting the movie in half! Luckily most of it has been restored and it is beautiful with one of the finest movie scores ever composed. An epic of epic proportions!
March 20, 2017
Leone's sprawling epic is an operatic masterpiece. Such an immense film yet so few words to do it justice.
March 6, 2017
There's a high quality movie here. You just have to comb through a lot runtime to find it. The scope is just far too large.
½ March 2, 2017
Best movie from Leone, and one of the best Gangster film of all time alongside The Godfather Part I/II and Goodfellas.
½ February 19, 2017
170219: Much like its predecessors, Once Upon a Time in American moves at a similar pace, and is scored much like the prior two films in Sergio Leone's alleged second "trilogy" (Once Upon a Time in the West and Duck, You Sucker). The 229 minute European release I watched however was interrupted with spurts of often frenzied, violent action. The story of these gangster boys growing to be men captured me and I had little difficulty seeing such a long film through. There are no shortage of stars held within this film including Robert De Niro, James Wood and Danny Aiello. I found at least one scene uncomfortable so be warned, this film gets harsh at times. Intrigued to see what is missing from the Director's Cut vs what they did for American audiences in trimming the story to 139 minutes. I'm thinking the shortened version might play better to a younger audience.
February 6, 2017
Full disclosure: I watched this SUPER late, was getting very sleepy, and very much felt like this could've been shorter (cut down on extended nothing shots, people staring at each other). Still, as possibly the most intensely difficult mafia movie I've ever seen, it's also among the most beautiful. The poetic cinematography, the lavish yet tasteful set design, the stunning violence, the insane makeup. An epic gangster film (like a less-fun "Goodfellas") about how NOT to treat our brokenness.
January 25, 2017
One of the most important films in Cinema. It is a lesson on life, a beautiful and heart-wrenching journey through the American dream.
January 8, 2017
Truly remarkable movie: Its lenght and graphic scenes might put off some viewers but watching the uncut version is worth it. This odissey of a young gangster (played by Robert de Niro) and his friends is never boring or dull despite its four hours lenght. Everything is flawless: the faultless perfromances, the recreation of life in New York during the 20s, the impeccable direction with outstanding cinematography and transitions, not to mention the legendary and emotional soundtrack by Ennio Morricone, and the incredible screenplay that touches on so many topics, Sadly underappreciated movie, that is nevertheless a nostalgic and epic masterpiece.
December 31, 2016
Not 2hr.24min but 3hr.40 minutes ! Way Way to long ...the first hour almost nothing happens ......then a bit interesting . It's just way to long for just a fine story...not a great story . Without De Niro i never wood have watched this ! SOMDVD
½ December 18, 2016
Leone´s looong gangster epic, building deep into the plot, the characters and also detailed and rich with the whole surroundings. But, as I regard it, it dont have enough power to withstand its length and story.
December 3, 2016
Classic. On Blu-ray.
November 30, 2016
One of the greatest films ever made. James Wood and Deniro are fabulous. Great cast which tells a story of loyalty and regret.
November 30, 2016
(4hr 11m DIRECTOR'S CUT) - Absolute masterpiece.
½ November 27, 2016
Pointless, boring storyline.
October 19, 2016
The least epic "epic" movie ever made. Music this great deserves a better film. A disappointment of considerable proportions.
Strewn throughout, there are scenes that are good (especially with James Woods). But the overall story is nothing.
October 15, 2016
This needs to be seen by more people.
October 9, 2016
Robert De Niro is excellent in this film.