Once Upon a Time in America - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Once Upon a Time in America Reviews

May 22, 2018
Once Upon a Time in America is a 1984 epic crime drama film co-written and directed by Italian filmmaker Sergio Leone.
I watched the R rated 4 hour version.
This certainly is an epic gangster story covering several decades, complete with a decent amount of both sex and violence. But there are also many tender and dramatic moments, with the cinematography and settings perfectly capturing the era and mood. I especially enjoyed the first half, which included the childhood scenes. All performances, by both child and adult, are very good, and Morricone's music only adds to the whole experience.
1001
½ April 9, 2018
A superb, operatic crime drama that is Sergio Leone's final chapter in a career cut short by the great artist's untimely death in 1989. It is flawed in a number of ways- but the sheer epicness and ambitiousness matched with a story to support such a vision is an awesome sight to behold.
½ February 17, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
½ February 15, 2018
One of the best movies ever
½ February 11, 2018
This is one of the greatest crime/gangster films of all time. This was Sergio Leone's final movie and is the epitome of epic in terms of film making. The cast is amazing and the storytelling is just incredible. Leone does a great job bringing out so many different moods and emotions in this movie, and this is one of Robert De Niro's finest roles and performances. The sets are just stunning and transport you right to the gritty streets of Manhattan during the Prohibition years. The extended Director's cut with the additional 22 minutes of footage is the recommended version in my opinion of this classic film.
February 6, 2018
The fully restored, 4 hour 11 minute "Director's Cut" of Once Upon A Time in America is the greatest gangster film ever made. In effect, it's a love letter to American gangster movies, with countless allusions to famous earlier films. The script, tje acting, the incredible score by Ennio Morricone, and the cinematography add up to a bona fide masterpiece. Martin Scorsese, Quentin Tarantino and many other directors have hailed it as one of the great films of all time. And it gets better with repeated viewings. Because of its complexity and manipulation of time, it is not possible to fully grasp it the first time.
January 21, 2018
Epic gangster film set across 4 decades as we follow Noodles (pacino) and his pals from their teens in a Jewish neighbourhood In New York , to his days in a gang and the wars on the atreets in the 1930s. Very graphic, some scenes are hard to watch. Also very long over 3 and a half hours. Well worth a watch
½ January 13, 2018
Wow, i feel like the big names behind this movie must be why it has such good ratings. Honestly, I thought it was terrible. Horrible characters that you can never care about and the acting is awful. Or maybe it is the screenplay. No one really talks to each other like that with all these long, mind numbing pauses. The movie dragged on and on and on. I feel like I just wasted 4 hours of my life that I can never get back.
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.5

Nostálgica, con un pausado pero efectivo ritmo narrativo de la mano de la magia de Morricone; además de brillantes actuaciones. Un clásico ícono del cine estadounidense.
½ December 1, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.5

November 21, 2017
I'm not totally sure there's a "point" to this film, despite taking 3.5 hours luxuriating in its own world and characters, it comes off like an absurdly long character study of a particularly unworthy subject. But on a technical level - acting, period set recreation, writing, camera direction, score etc. - this film is essentially flawless. It's a little hard, all this time later, to not feel like you're watching a narrative you've seen before, just with different characters; luckily the way Leone plays with time and shows the span of several decades distinguishes it a bit from other films of its ilk. Quite good, overall, but I think a bit overpraised.
September 23, 2017
Good flick although I wouldn't describe it as the classic a film this length usually would be!
August 24, 2017
rating can change in the future. review coming soon.
August 17, 2017
Honestly one of the best films I've ever seen.
August 6, 2017
Incredible filmmaking. Never a dull moment
½ August 4, 2017
Most haunting mob movie ever, similar to a dream.
July 22, 2017
Once Upon a Time in America is easily to me, the third greatest movie of all time, only behind The Godfather and The Godfather: Part II. Everything about it from Sergio Leone, Robert De Niro, James Woods, Ennio Morricone, the story, the characters, the shots/visuals, and the score alone makes me want to become a filmmaker.? The Critics Consensus says it all about this movie. Most definitely deserves a higher rating than 88%!
½ July 20, 2017
21/7/2017 - Started off great, but some questionable plot choices later on ensure this gangster film falls well short of being a masterpiece.
July 12, 2017
To the 80s what "The Godfather" was to the 70s and "Goodfellas" to the 90s, Sergio Leone's 4-hour director's cut of this Jewish gangster epic towers over other crime dramas with its grandeur scope and aesthetic significance.
July 3, 2017
One of the greatest films ever made. James Wood and Deniro are fabulous. Great cast which tells a story of loyalty and regret.