Once Upon a Time in America - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Once Upon a Time in America Reviews

½ February 17, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
½ February 15, 2018
One of the best movies ever
½ February 11, 2018
This is one of the greatest crime/gangster films of all time. This was Sergio Leone's final movie and is the epitome of epic in terms of film making. The cast is amazing and the storytelling is just incredible. Leone does a great job bringing out so many different moods and emotions in this movie, and this is one of Robert De Niro's finest roles and performances. The sets are just stunning and transport you right to the gritty streets of Manhattan during the Prohibition years. The extended Director's cut with the additional 22 minutes of footage is the recommended version in my opinion of this classic film.
February 6, 2018
The fully restored, 4 hour 11 minute "Director's Cut" of Once Upon A Time in America is the greatest gangster film ever made. In effect, it's a love letter to American gangster movies, with countless allusions to famous earlier films. The script, tje acting, the incredible score by Ennio Morricone, and the cinematography add up to a bona fide masterpiece. Martin Scorsese, Quentin Tarantino and many other directors have hailed it as one of the great films of all time. And it gets better with repeated viewings. Because of its complexity and manipulation of time, it is not possible to fully grasp it the first time.
January 21, 2018
Epic gangster film set across 4 decades as we follow Noodles (pacino) and his pals from their teens in a Jewish neighbourhood In New York , to his days in a gang and the wars on the atreets in the 1930s. Very graphic, some scenes are hard to watch. Also very long over 3 and a half hours. Well worth a watch
½ January 13, 2018
Wow, i feel like the big names behind this movie must be why it has such good ratings. Honestly, I thought it was terrible. Horrible characters that you can never care about and the acting is awful. Or maybe it is the screenplay. No one really talks to each other like that with all these long, mind numbing pauses. The movie dragged on and on and on. I feel like I just wasted 4 hours of my life that I can never get back.
½ January 3, 2018
A superb, operatic crime drama that is Sergio Leone's final chapter in a career cut short by the great artist's untimely death in 1989.
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.5

Nostálgica, con un pausado pero efectivo ritmo narrativo de la mano de la magia de Morricone; además de brillantes actuaciones. Un clásico ícono del cine estadounidense.
½ December 1, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.5

November 21, 2017
I'm not totally sure there's a "point" to this film, despite taking 3.5 hours luxuriating in its own world and characters, it comes off like an absurdly long character study of a particularly unworthy subject. But on a technical level - acting, period set recreation, writing, camera direction, score etc. - this film is essentially flawless. It's a little hard, all this time later, to not feel like you're watching a narrative you've seen before, just with different characters; luckily the way Leone plays with time and shows the span of several decades distinguishes it a bit from other films of its ilk. Quite good, overall, but I think a bit overpraised.
September 23, 2017
Good flick although I wouldn't describe it as the classic a film this length usually would be!
August 24, 2017
rating can change in the future. review coming soon.
August 17, 2017
Honestly one of the best films I've ever seen.
August 6, 2017
Incredible filmmaking. Never a dull moment
½ August 4, 2017
Most haunting mob movie ever, similar to a dream.
July 22, 2017
Once Upon a Time in America is easily to me, the third greatest movie of all time, only behind The Godfather and The Godfather: Part II. Everything about it from Sergio Leone, Robert De Niro, James Woods, Ennio Morricone, the story, the characters, the shots/visuals, and the score alone makes me want to become a filmmaker.? The Critics Consensus says it all about this movie. Most definitely deserves a higher rating than 88%!
½ July 20, 2017
21/7/2017 - Started off great, but some questionable plot choices later on ensure this gangster film falls well short of being a masterpiece.
July 12, 2017
To the 80s what "The Godfather" was to the 70s and "Goodfellas" to the 90s, Sergio Leone's 4-hour director's cut of this Jewish gangster epic towers over other crime dramas with its grandeur scope and aesthetic significance.
July 3, 2017
One of the greatest films ever made. James Wood and Deniro are fabulous. Great cast which tells a story of loyalty and regret.
½ July 1, 2017
"A movie equals a whole life of a man", which is said by myself, and I reckon this should be the best description of Once Upon a Time in America. Bunches of gangster movies out there, ranging different levels from head-to-toe fighting views, the amount can be too countless to figure, to some masterpieces such as The Godfather and Goodfellas, barely deserve this praise, even though they are indeed tremendous. This movie, however, perfectly fits.

Lasting 251-minute long, which probably scares out of some audience from the very beginning in that regard. But just like tasting a bottle of liquor that has been preserved for decades, sipping it goes a longer way than normally drinking it. Begin with a scene in a small hotel, A wedge shaped like a human, a hooker shot by some gangsters who tried to pry into some information about someone else from her mouth but failed, you probably already got confused, this is exactly the best part of this film. The director, Sergio Leone, known as the trailblazer of horse opera, somehow did not follow the drills which he used to shot Once Upon A Time in the West: follow the timeline. The whole movie was cut into pieces, which is not a typical narration kind, he stuck oodles into the film, on top of which made spectators feel that not only one thing being told through the whole movie, The truth is, on the contrary, all clues lead to the leading role: Noodles, who was always loyal to his friend, at least the way he judged whoever as his pal, and was always loyal to his beloved girl, at last got screwed by all of them. He stuck to his own principles, which made him live and get away clean, but also drove him to poorer and sad.

Noodles, grow up in Brooklyn in 1900s, had not ever count on some love from parents, he had no aspiration, only concentrated on some unprofessional gangster activities which are the usual routines of mobs: collecting protection fees, smashing the part of one shop if the owner of it refuse to pay, and of course, hiding in a toilet to peeped the silhouette of that girl whom he yearned for, day in and day out, something like that. At that point, Max, a guy who almost changed the whole life of Noodles, showed up for the first time in front of Brooklyn Bridge, the landmark of New York city, where the childhood memory was left forever, also can be considered the great symbol of that real friendship of these "little goodfellas". Max is by no means a guy who always wanted to be a street mob, he had his own plan for his life, a selfish but fantastic dream, which came true from the mid-part of this movie: running a casino, flirting with some politicians and successfully grabbed them in his palm, betraying all his partners in order to control the whole kingdom made by them, to name a few, which he did great, leaving noodles regret for Max' death (false one) given the phone call to the police intrigued by Max. Noodles, still chose to hold faith to that dead body was Max for mathematical certainty, or maybe it was just his way to mourn the long gone friendship. Deborah, Noodles' s beloved girl, as it was mentioned before, gave up her love for her own business, married Max and even born him a son, all of which later on are found by Noodles but what can he do except accepting it and burring inside his heart. This is how the whole society works, some people are always for powers while others trust friendship and love, it is just a matter of our own choice. Neither way did pan out till the last, but I really can not figure out what was the right thing to do, just like the title, maybe it is to certain extent a "once upon a time" in America.

Our emotion is successfully influenced by that bravo background music, one theme can be made into different tunes, seamlessly matches the upcoming events as well as what we are watching. Life is a melody, up and down, vicissitudes always exist, just like we all have our past, our story, like this one, as it happened in America, from pre Word War 2 to abolish of 18th amendment.

By the way, those executives of Warner Bros. Pictures must regret for what they did to the movie back then, if some of them still are in charge, for sure.