Once Upon a Time in America - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Once Upon a Time in America Reviews

January 8, 2017
Truly remarkable movie: Its lenght and graphic scenes might put off some viewers but watching the uncut version is worth it. This odissey of a young gangster (played by Robert de Niro) and his friends is never boring or dull despite its four hours lenght. Everything is flawless: the faultless perfromances, the recreation of life in New York during the 20s, the impeccable direction with outstanding cinematography and transitions, not to mention the legendary and emotional soundtrack by Ennio Morricone, and the incredible screenplay that touches on so many topics, Sadly underappreciated movie, that is nevertheless a nostalgic and epic masterpiece.
December 31, 2016
Not 2hr.24min but 3hr.40 minutes ! Way Way to long ...the first hour almost nothing happens ......then a bit interesting . It's just way to long for just a fine story...not a great story . Without De Niro i never wood have watched this ! SOMDVD
December 23, 2016
Best movie from Leone, and one of the best Gangster film of all time alongside The Godfather Part I/II and Goodfellas.
½ December 18, 2016
Leone´s looong gangster epic, building deep into the plot, the characters and also detailed and rich with the whole surroundings. But, as I regard it, it dont have enough power to withstand its length and story.
December 3, 2016
Classic. On Blu-ray.
November 30, 2016
One of the greatest films ever made. James Wood and Deniro are fabulous. Great cast which tells a story of loyalty and regret.
November 30, 2016
(4hr 11m DIRECTOR'S CUT) - Absolute masterpiece.
½ November 27, 2016
Pointless, boring storyline.
October 19, 2016
The least epic "epic" movie ever made. Music this great deserves a better film. A disappointment of considerable proportions.
Strewn throughout, there are scenes that are good (especially with James Woods). But the overall story is nothing.
October 15, 2016
This needs to be seen by more people.
October 9, 2016
Robert De Niro is excellent in this film.
½ October 2, 2016
Unlikable characters who aren't terribly interesting either. We watched the 3:45 version; I have to wonder if the 2+ hour version would be better. It was tedious to watch at times.
½ September 25, 2016
"Once Upon a Time in America" ??is an epic of Sergio Leone nearly four hours if I say that these four hours not tired, is a lie, but they do not weigh, after four hours you will remember the movie and do not understand how it is so long, that because Leone is careful to always entertain and let the curious viewer, with magnificent scenery, mounting incredible scenes, perfect screen elements, great costumes and sensational makeup, visually is impeccable, and Sergio Leone know well use the soundtrack that goes from John Lennon to the 9th Symphony of Beethoven, plus the original score composed by the legendary ennio Morricone. With good performances, nothing to surprise, the film tells the story of five boys who go this street robbers the main owner refueling and liquor command during the dry law, and are extremely sought after for various dubious natures services, this story has a strong emotional side, Sergio Leone abuses Flashbacks, and zoom in and out every scene as if you were recording one of his legendary Western movies, the only negative point here is to the script, even managing to tell a good story and managed to make a good connection between past and future through timelines out of chronology, it has some holes, and even with almost four hours, the film clearly had cut scenes, with characters that disappear and appear out of nowhere, and storylines that are beyond the context of the film. But overall, "Once Upon a Time in America" ??it is a great movie, a hot story to see, and full of stylistic features, in addition to being a work of Sergio Leone, author of the spectacular trilogy of dollars.
September 18, 2016
the greatest ganster movie I ever seen. even than the godfather
September 15, 2016
can't be more great! that is life
½ July 30, 2016
It's a masterpiece. Could have been an art and house but I think it's more than that which is really an amazing film. De Niro deserves accolades I like his acting on this one. A very very long movie but I'm focused very much on the story line. I'm stunned by how the camera angles are placed in. I'm hooked by each of its consequences. This film making at its best. It has some shots where it focuses way too much on the character and you're thinking like, uhmm what's gonna happened next, I'm staring with him or her too much. Which is kinda awkward but it is pretty effective to be honest. You can see those actors emotions very well. The only part that I kinda hate in this film is the structure of the story line. I'm not against with those flashbacks but you kinda think for a bit, how come some scenes are kinda confusing. But you might get it anyways. In the end a must have film. Not just a great mafia film but a must watch drama.
July 27, 2016
A gangster masterpiece that's every bit as emotionally powerful and ambitious as the first two Godfather films.
½ July 22, 2016
Sergio Leone's final masterpiece takes us through an epic crime journey that takes place in a timeless and unforgiving New York. With great performances from Robert De Niro and James Woods, amongst others, this film is stuck on the mind days after watching it. This is a piece of cinematic gold.
July 18, 2016
This bloated movie takes place over the course of an entire lifetime... and dear God it feels like it. Its only redeeming quality is Morricone's score, which I could listen to all day.
July 8, 2016
Don't be fooled. This is not a good movie.