Once Upon a Time in America - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Once Upon a Time in America Reviews

December 3, 2016
Classic. On Blu-ray.
November 30, 2016
One of the greatest films ever made. James Wood and Deniro are fabulous. Great cast which tells a story of loyalty and regret.
November 30, 2016
(4hr 11m DIRECTOR'S CUT) - Absolute masterpiece.
½ November 27, 2016
Pointless, boring storyline.
October 19, 2016
The least epic "epic" movie ever made. Music this great deserves a better film. A disappointment of considerable proportions.
Strewn throughout, there are scenes that are good (especially with James Woods). But the overall story is nothing.
October 15, 2016
This needs to be seen by more people.
October 9, 2016
Robert De Niro is excellent in this film.
½ October 2, 2016
Unlikable characters who aren't terribly interesting either. We watched the 3:45 version; I have to wonder if the 2+ hour version would be better. It was tedious to watch at times.
½ September 25, 2016
"Once Upon a Time in America" ??is an epic of Sergio Leone nearly four hours if I say that these four hours not tired, is a lie, but they do not weigh, after four hours you will remember the movie and do not understand how it is so long, that because Leone is careful to always entertain and let the curious viewer, with magnificent scenery, mounting incredible scenes, perfect screen elements, great costumes and sensational makeup, visually is impeccable, and Sergio Leone know well use the soundtrack that goes from John Lennon to the 9th Symphony of Beethoven, plus the original score composed by the legendary ennio Morricone. With good performances, nothing to surprise, the film tells the story of five boys who go this street robbers the main owner refueling and liquor command during the dry law, and are extremely sought after for various dubious natures services, this story has a strong emotional side, Sergio Leone abuses Flashbacks, and zoom in and out every scene as if you were recording one of his legendary Western movies, the only negative point here is to the script, even managing to tell a good story and managed to make a good connection between past and future through timelines out of chronology, it has some holes, and even with almost four hours, the film clearly had cut scenes, with characters that disappear and appear out of nowhere, and storylines that are beyond the context of the film. But overall, "Once Upon a Time in America" ??it is a great movie, a hot story to see, and full of stylistic features, in addition to being a work of Sergio Leone, author of the spectacular trilogy of dollars.
September 18, 2016
the greatest ganster movie I ever seen. even than the godfather
September 15, 2016
can't be more great! that is life
½ July 30, 2016
It's a masterpiece. Could have been an art and house but I think it's more than that which is really an amazing film. De Niro deserves accolades I like his acting on this one. A very very long movie but I'm focused very much on the story line. I'm stunned by how the camera angles are placed in. I'm hooked by each of its consequences. This film making at its best. It has some shots where it focuses way too much on the character and you're thinking like, uhmm what's gonna happened next, I'm staring with him or her too much. Which is kinda awkward but it is pretty effective to be honest. You can see those actors emotions very well. The only part that I kinda hate in this film is the structure of the story line. I'm not against with those flashbacks but you kinda think for a bit, how come some scenes are kinda confusing. But you might get it anyways. In the end a must have film. Not just a great mafia film but a must watch drama.
July 27, 2016
A gangster masterpiece that's every bit as emotionally powerful and ambitious as the first two Godfather films.
½ July 22, 2016
Sergio Leone's final masterpiece takes us through an epic crime journey that takes place in a timeless and unforgiving New York. With great performances from Robert De Niro and James Woods, amongst others, this film is stuck on the mind days after watching it. This is a piece of cinematic gold.
July 18, 2016
This bloated movie takes place over the course of an entire lifetime... and dear God it feels like it. Its only redeeming quality is Morricone's score, which I could listen to all day.
July 8, 2016
Don't be fooled. This is not a good movie.
Spellbinding and wonderous.
June 28, 2016
One of the best classic gangster movies topped with a great cast ids priceless. In addition an outstanding movie soundtrack by one of the great music composers, Ennio Morricone. Filmed in many locations, but the iconic scene near the Manhattan Bridge remains as a favorite to many and the perfect scene near the Williamsburg Bridge on the brooklyn side, gives a true feel to the script of the struggles to create the lifetime bond of friends. One of the longest movies to watch, however the movie takes no shortcuts to tell the story as it should be told. ..... Sit back with a "Do not Disturb" sign and enjoy.
June 28, 2016
Ranks right up there as one of the greatest gangster films ever. I put it at number 4 all time just behind The Godfather Part II, Goodfellas, and The Godfather.
June 28, 2016
The 2014 Extended Director's Cut is a masterpiece. I was transfixed for the entire, unprecedented running time. Not to be missed.