Once Upon a Time in Anatolia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia Reviews

August 7, 2016
Very powerful movie that made me feel strongly enough to learn the language and watch it again. It got slow towards the end but that's okay. The concepts, the thoughts and the filming was spot on. It is a must watch for film enthusiasts, people enthusiasts and culture enthusiasts. PS: it has a lot of genuine humour.
½ June 24, 2016
An absorbing drama that relies on an engaging dialogue and a peculiar sense of humor, following a group of characters in a crime investigation as they talk about trivial things and reveal a lot about themselves in the process - and it boasts an impressive sound design and astonishing cinematography.
April 5, 2016
A film from the heavens. A filmmaker probably from the same place.
½ December 9, 2015
Kind of just a slog for me, and the second half mostly felt like CSI: Turkey. A slow burn, definitely too slow of a burn for me. The movie never comes close to justifying its 150 minute run time to me. Has some beautiful landscapes and general photography, but never comes together for me cinematically.
October 17, 2015
This is the third film I've seen from the Turkish master who has a way of getting inside his characters' heads, so that you know what they must be thinking even though they don't voice their thoughts. (The others were Distant and Winter Sleep). This time, in the context of a perfunctory police investigation (finding the corpse after the killers have confessed to where it is), we are privileged to an on-again, off-again conversation between The Prosecutor and The Doctor that rather accidentally leads one to discover an unpleasant and personal truth. This bit (which might be the "point" of the otherwise discursive script) has been adapted from Chekhov (apparently) but Ceylan takes it one step further (into the autopsy room). Despite this glorious nugget buried at the end (or in addition to it), the film is still a beautifully shot panorama (in night colors) of the Turkish foothills with what must be a conscious nod to Kiarostami (the Wind Will Carry Us, Close-Up, others), who has a similar way of inserting thoughts in the viewer, as if by prestidigitation. Somehow the way the film is shot (those slow zooms?) has the ability to concentrate your attention on its details (relevant or not) and this can carry viewers through the epic length.
Robert B.
October 5, 2015
To enjoy Once Upon A Time In Anatolia, the viewer must enjoy policework, in a sense: reading people, making observations, drawing inferences. It is not a film for the passive viewer that wants to be stimulated, entertained. The work is masterful and deserves the acclaim.
September 18, 2015
Incredible. Why movies exist.
½ April 14, 2015
Well crafted film that proves to pack a punch if the viewer is patient.
½ January 26, 2015
A great movie, that shows the different personality of a bunch of people.
January 15, 2015
It's long but does enough to keep your attention
January 2, 2015
Would I want to see this film again? No, not really. For one thing, it is much too long. There are entire, !long scenes that could have been cut or shortened without losing anything vital. For example, the camera follows an apple as it rolls down a slope into a stream. Lovely, yes, but does it add to the story. Story? Did someone mention a story of some sort? What I found admirable is how the prosecutor slowly comes to realize that (spoiler alert!!!) his wife committed suicide as revenge for his infidelity. It is marvelous how this realization is brought about. The rest of the film, a police procedural, is what brings the prosecutor and the medical examiner together, and as a frame for the conversations between the two men, it is far too detailed, far too long, the point of which completely escaped me.
It ends because, probably, they ran out of film.
December 27, 2014
"When reality becomes the sound &visual effects".
November 19, 2014
the patience one needs to see this film is a low price for a special journey full of mysticism and deep feelings.
½ October 16, 2014
A little too slow for my liking.
October 12, 2014
extremely tedious, wildly gripping
October 4, 2014
Filmspotting best of '12
September 30, 2014
It's beautiful, but I don't know its point. It seems like all its main characters are telling lies which they think will help, but which don't really. Though it's doubtful the truth helps or would help them any more.
½ September 19, 2014
The Authentic Location Shots & Mix Of Turkish Actors Certain Entice You Into The Mysterious Story..But It Is Just So Damned Slow, No Soundtrack What-So-Ever..It Really Is A Commitment To Watch. I Found It Difficult & Thus Was Not As Amused As It Seems Everyone Else Was.
July 27, 2014
Great movie of one of my favourite directors of cinema.