Once Upon a Time in China 4 (Wong Fei Hung ji sei: Wong je ji fung) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Once Upon a Time in China 4 (Wong Fei Hung ji sei: Wong je ji fung) Reviews

½ July 19, 2016
The fourth film in the Once Upon a Time in China series is underwhelming. Vincent Zhao has the same physical prowess, but the charisma of Jet Li. Also the martial arts is way too wire work based, with characters doing multiple flying kicks and defying gravity at every turn. The finale has some good set design but the movie's plot isn't resolved and the sidekicks are more entertaining than the hero. Also its said that Tsui Hark was less involved, which is why the film seems so different than the first three.
½ November 8, 2015
When Chiu Man-Cheuk replaced Jet Li being Wong Fei Hung.
Series of hectic action sequences mingled with a not so relevant storyline/screenplay.
December 28, 2014
A lot of people criticize this movie because Jet Li's not in it. I don't see what wrong with the movie. It has a great story plot and a great hero who I look up ts once of his first movies,. Sure Vincent Zhao may not be as fast as Jet Li, but this was one of his first movies.(I found out in wikipedia that when filming for this movie, one of the things went wrong on set and he injured his ankle to the point that it hasn't been healed even recently. It made his lose some of his flexibility and made him harder to do stunts. He completed the film anyways. And yes, he performed his own stunts. He has doubled for other actors too) He portrayed the character "Wong Fei Hung" greatly and I loved his lion dance scenes. His Lion Dancing is better than Jet Li's although I think that's mainly because Jet Li's Lion dancing in Once upon A Time In China 3 is more to fighting rather than actually dancing. Many people who hadn't grown up in Chines culture wouldn't know this. The comedy may not be as much as the previous installments but I'm guessing that's because this installment's story plot are much more serious as it talks about war instead of the previous installments which talked more about internal affairs in China. I think its a great movie to continue Wong Fei Hung's legacy nether less. Maybe this time the story is meant more for Chinese audiences instead of international audiences, that's why it's ratings aren't as high. I think that if you hadn't been brought up around Chinese cultures, you'd probably not understand some things in the movie. (You can make a guess though, you just won't see the full picture in your mind)
½ January 4, 2013
I gotta be honest, the original trilogy is the holy trinity of period action film. Then we come to this one which is a piece of shit. To watch this movie at all, you're obviously a giant fan of this series. The direction reeks of mediocrity, the budget is noticeably low, and whereas the last movie had liberal use of wire enhancement, this one has people outright flying, which just makes it like every other flick in this 5-6 year cycle of fantasy period-pieces.What a poor decision to base this movie around lion dancing TOO after we had our fill in Part 3. And Vincent Zhao is super skilled but he looks nothing like Jet Li! Come on! The dude from "Hero Among Heroes" was perfect as Wong Fei-Hung. In fact, that movie wasn't that great but it's for sure better than this one! This is the definition of straight-to-video sequel (even though it did go to theaters).
February 1, 2012
This was really good. I love martial arts movies and this was one not to miss.
½ June 28, 2011
Once Upon A Time In China IV has received many negative reviews(get this info from Wikipedia) but I do enjoy this series more than the 5th one..Plot is a bit similar to the third one but it has a great casting, good directing style and good action..Jet Li's Wong Fei Hong is replaced by Vincent Zhao(The first time I saw Vincent Zhao in this movie when I was a kid) while Director Tsui Hark is replaced by Director Yuen Bun(there's a mistake on the info).
Although,the wire is overused but still very enjoyable.

After watching Once Upon A Time In China IV,it made me wanna try Director Yuen Bun's "Kung Fu Master"!!
August 30, 2010
Incredible Kung-Fu Movie with Grandious Fight Choreagraphy, Acrobatics, Lot of Chinese Culture and a Bombastic Soundtrack. The Movie is settled while the Boxer Riots in Tsingtao and the Hero and his Men fight against the Order of the Red Lotus a Female Sword Figther Squadron who massacre German Civilians and also against the Army of the 8 Allieds under the Rule of a Evil German General which contains Soldiers of 7 European Nations and High Skilled Japanese Ninjutsu Fighters.
June 27, 2010
Not bad action movie. Vol 4 sees Zhao Wen-Zuo replacing Jet Li as Wong Fei-Hong, legendary hero. Great lion dance scenes in this one.
April 1, 2010
Zhao Wen Zhou takes over Jet Li's role as Wong Fei Hung in the fourth installment of the epic series. His martial arts skills are quite impressive. The overall action in this film is pretty good and the movie itself is fast-paced. Unfortunately, this film is lacking in other areas. The characters are not well-defined and the relationships between the different characters doesn't seem to be there. The plot seems like a rehash of elements from OUATIC 2 and 3. The villains are very one-dimensional. A lot of the themes existent in the previous parts are nowhere to be found. In the end, this film is a good kung fu movie, but a lesser installment in this epic series.
½ July 16, 2009
To come as far as watching the fourth film in a series of six you have to like the stuff and I really do like the "Once Upon A Time In China"-series. Or at least I did, as I just got 15 minutes in to this film before I started to flip over things I found out of place. Firstly they changed Jet Li for Man Cheuk Chiu as Wong Fei Hung and left Rosamund Kwan's character out completely. It also lacked much of the humour that UI liked about the three previous films in the series which is a real shame. The make-up isn't as good as in previous films and I don't know... I just wasn't as impressed by the fighting techniques nor the acting as I have been. I'm guessing I just wanted Jet Li too much to see the good things about this particular addition.
July 16, 2009
rock hardcore...
never got tired of
the movie...
hehe...
addict...!!!
May 28, 2009
This is a great movie even without Jet.
½ May 10, 2009
Despite the replacement of Jet Li with Man Cheuk Chiu and director Tsui Hark with Bun Yuen, this movie still has a few things going for it.

Naturally using a dragon dance competition to solve disputes between countries is about as credible as...well it's not. Still a few good action scenes and a ridiculously bizarre ending with a variety of huge, deadly paper mache animals make this at least worth a look for fans of the series.
½ March 1, 2009
I swear these gotta end...
February 20, 2009
En esta peli q suplanta a mi jet quede muy decepcionada pero aun asi continua siendo una buena peli
½ February 11, 2009
Just as action-packed as the previous three. Nice work.
½ January 23, 2009
PISSED to death...i didnt even finish the movie....where is MY JET LI...
how could they not put my lover in this movie. AAHHH...PISSED.
June 18, 2008
oh dear! i bought the trilogy box and now i have to get this too!
½ May 11, 2008
Yet another tragedy! Even with an all star supporting cast like Dicky Cheung and Pak-cheung Chan, the movie nearly made me cry because of how bad the series has become. One more thing, Drunken Monkey is not from the Shaolin mountain. The most obvious reason is that MONKS DONT DRINK!!