Once Upon a Time in the West - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Once Upon a Time in the West Reviews

September 15, 2017
i liked the movie, i found it confusing, and i was a little annoyed by all the harmonica playing. but its a good one,
½ September 12, 2017
A little before my time but the acting was great. Never really seen Henry Fonda or Charles Bronson in anything. The atmosphere was amazing.
September 3, 2017
It's got a slow start and at first I didn't understand what was going on but I wanted to like it because I love a good western so I kept watching. Once the plot comes through that burlap sack of pre-scenes I was glued! I loved it so much I watched it a second time! I was amazed at Henry Fonda wow, he played such a good villain! It was hard for me imagine him like that but his performance was awesome! The scenery, the music, true to Spaghetti Westerns! If you want to watch a true western this is it!
August 20, 2017
Once Upon a Time in the West isn't Sergio Leone's best work, but it's still an iconic Western. It features complex characters and an engaging storyline -- not to mention a memorable soundtrack by Ennio Morricone. However, they could have cut out 45 minutes and it still would have felt a little long. This movie drags a bit. Don't watch it when you're sleepy.
August 13, 2017
"Once Upon a Time in the West" is a sprawling Western epic featuring strong performances from its cast, an Ennio Morricone score bordering on operatic, and cinematography worthy of David Lean. Pacing does drag in its first act, but it concludes in spectacular Hollywood fashion.
July 19, 2017
I come here to pay homage to the greatest movie ever made. Ok, many faults, but they only serve to increase the wonder of how much superb-ness (scenes, scenery, philosophy, acting, actors, music) is packed into this work of genius.

"Just a man." "An ancient race."

Thank you to all who were involved.
June 24, 2017
I did enjoy this but I did feel that one negative for me was the run time. There are a lot of complaints that films are too long nowadays but this nearly closed in at 3 hours long! Paired with the fact that the film is a more slow and methodical pace than films these days and i did find myself struggling. An interesting story but I did struggle to always follow what was happening with the strong accents and double-crosses.
June 21, 2017
I liked the Man with No Name trilogy, and I greatly appreciated Sergio Leone?s style in those films. What in the world changed here?? I?m just baffled by this film, because I expected to love it and about halfway through I was begging for it to end. Let me start by complimenting the things I did like in Once Upon a Time in the West, before I break into my litany of complaints. Charles Bronson was great as the soft-spoken new guy in town, and James Robards was also great as the more vocal bandit who works with Bronson. The visuals were wonderful because they constructed some amazing sets, found remarkable locations, and also did some expert cinematography to capture it all. It also successfully pulls off that classic Western vibe that makes Leone?s films so special. Now onto the problems:

1) The music and sound effects are so obnoxiously repetitive. Perhaps the themes were well written, but I feel like Ennio Morricone didn?t compose enough music, so instead I just had to hear the same refrain repeated ad nauseum. There were so many scenes in the film that are silent and they are backed up with one line of music or one sound that simply won?t stop. At a certain point during all of these scenes I found myself wanting to mute the TV just to make it stop. I literally got a headache from watching the film, which probably isn?t a good sign.

2) To describe the pace of Once Upon a Time in the West as glacial is insulting to glaciers everywhere. This movie has a runtime of nearly three hours, and I swear two of those hours are made up of people silently staring at one another. There was more than once that I burst out and actually said to the characters on screen ?DO SOMETHING!? I understood it when Leone used these moments of quiet to build tension in a gunfight, and when it was used in that context it worked in this movie too. But there were these same moments of pause in almost everything people did throughout the film.

3) For some reason it felt like they were intentionally trying to hide the plot from me. I?m all for a film that allows the story to slowly reveal itself as you watch, but in Once Upon a Time in the West I was getting almost no revelation. There?s hardly any exposition, and when there is it seems to come out of nowhere. I eventually just gave up and looked to Wikipedia for a plot synopsis so I wouldn?t be forced to rewind the film in an attempt to decipher what was happening. I was seriously annoyed that the film made me work so hard to decipher it.

4) I do not understand the motivations of any character in this film. No one behaves in a manner that I find logical. This is almost an extension of my previous point because if the plot made sense then perhaps I would comprehend why people were doing things within that plot. But constantly people just start to do things with no explanation, and what they do seems totally out of character based on what I thought we knew about them. There also were no clear heroes or villains in my eyes so I was frustrated that I cared about no one.

5) Finally, I did not like Once Upon a Time in the West because it has no flow as a film. We constantly jump from one scene to the next with little or no connective tissue to help me adjust. I kept thinking I accidentally hit a button to skip the DVD forward or something, because I was regularly wondering ?How did we get here?? This is probably why I found the narrative of the film so weak, because I couldn?t follow what was happening for more than a scene at a time.

I think there?s probably something in this film I?m missing. Clearly it is well-loved and critically acclaimed, so I must be the one who?s off base. I imagine, now that I have read the plot, I could probably go back and things might fall into place a little bit more. However, I don?t really feel like dedicating the hours it would take to watch it again, and I don?t want another headache.
½ June 16, 2017
Once Upon a Time in The West - Classico filme dirigido pelo Sergio Leone, direção linda com planos abertos e, com takes nos rostos dos atores, trilha sonora perfeita. Roteiro ótimo com inicio meio e fim, 3° ato ótimo.
Nota: 9
June 16, 2017
A visually impressive and well acted epic from Leone that is rather bloated in its second act, yet bookends with sheer perfection from a master storyteller.
June 3, 2017
The greatest western ever made. Brilliant in its casting as well as its execution. Perfectly paced and brilliantly conceived. An epic masterpiece of filmmaking.
May 25, 2017
One of the greatest movies ever made, certainly my favorite western.
May 6, 2017
As good as a film can get. A true master piece. Young or old, this film needs to be seen.
April 22, 2017
The greatest western of all-time?
April 19, 2017
Grade - B
Being a Sergio Leone film, it's obviously well-made and also benefits from some good performances and scenes that, taken individually, are great. However, the movie's plot can be highly convoluted, which did stop me from fully enjoying it at times. Slightly disappointing considering its reputation, but still worth a watch.
April 2, 2017
January 2011
April 2017
March 31, 2017
Could have saved an hour if they cut out all the staring at each other to increase the tension otherwise its a great movie.
March 20, 2017
An epic and operatic take on the death of the old west through the creation of the railroad.
February 20, 2017
Just re-watched the "directors" cut of this visually stunning western. The opening gun fight to the climactic and drawn out finale are exquisite works of visual art with Moriconne's score gripping. The one thing that keeps bugging me is Robards character, Cheyenne, shaves at one point and I cannot see any difference between before and after.
February 17, 2017
170215: This film has to go down as one of the best spaghetti westerns ever made. What a cast of classics including Henry Fonda, Jason Robards, Charles Bronson, Jack Elam, Woody Strode and Lionel Stander to name a few. Great sound, scenery, showdowns and story.