Once Upon a Time in the West - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Once Upon a Time in the West Reviews

October 9, 2016
This is an amazing Western.
½ October 6, 2016
?? ?????, ???? ???????????? ???????? ???? ?? 3 ???????? ????????? ???????????? ????????? ?????????, ?? 1 ?????? ????? ?????????????. 3 ???? ??????? ?? ?? ????????? ????? ?????
½ October 3, 2016
Or ol'Sergio goes Hollywood, baby. Big and sprawling and dusty, this screaming Western-epic-western nearly looks as epic as it wants to be. And the stars are out for this too, like peanut shells under yer feet at a carnival, ready for their "Ima be famous!" trademark Leone close-up, only the rationale for the gist of this over long thing seems to be the least of Leone's worries, and that's too bad because by the ending, the bodies stacking up don't seem to matter much as we never really knew them much anyway. Why is everyone here on Rotten Tomatoes so enamored of this lesser Leone? Star power is my dubious answer.
½ September 30, 2016
Se toma su tiempo, una pelýcula estilizada, lýrica y atemporal.
September 26, 2016
Wow. It took me more than 40 years to recognize what a great masterpiece this movie is.
September 4, 2016
Wonderfully badass film
September 3, 2016
Honestly my only problem with the film is its length, drawing out scenes can work like in the opening ten minutes or so of this but other times it doesn't and only drags my enjoyment down. Still as Once goes on it gets better and better. I found this to be surprising given how much I disliked The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, considered by many to be the "best" of the western genre of which I just found boring. I had a much different experience here perhaps simply because of the characters. Frank, Cheyenne and Harmonica were terrific and it was a shame when I had to leave them.
August 31, 2016
Top 3 best westerns of all time. Enough said !
August 7, 2016
More Opera than film, this might be Leone's best. Should be in everyone's list of 10 best films. Henry Fonda as the bad guy. Priceless.
August 6, 2016
Featuring a classic music score, iconic scenes and characters, and brilliant acting, Once Upon a Time in the West has been and always will be the definition of a great western
July 19, 2016
Outstanding follow-up, that's all there is. The nameless character or brought back bigger, badder and cooler than ever, an interesting supporting woman, settings like no other, and a soundtrack that will give you chills every time you hear it
July 10, 2016
Excellent. Slow moving revenge story. Fonda, Bronson, and Robards shine.
June 11, 2016
moviemaking at its best. this movie should be studied in every film school and by every contemporary director on every aspect. if you have a rare chance to see it on the big screen drop everything and go. the story was by Bertolicci and Dario Argento which I didn't know. 5 star everything from acting to cinematography, Citizen Kane in comparison is a stuffy turd.
½ June 2, 2016
I know a lotta people think this was the last great Western . And a Brilliant send off of the genre. Listen this was a great Western in every aspect . This film is beautiful in every way. I felt dusty just watching it. It well worth the 2:45 run time. It may be the last of its kind . But I think they're have been some great ones after . In my opinion the greatest Western of all time was probably "The Outlaw Josey Whales". At least it's my Fav. I do believe that the western had a bit of a resurgence in the late 80's and Early 90's . With films like " Dances with Wovles" (don't hate on Costner it's a great movie. "Lonesome Dove" ( I know it's TV ). And then " Unforgiven" and of course the last great western made of that time frame "Tombstone". You can make the case for a few others . But not really. If there's anyone fighting to keep the western alive it would be Tarantino. QT was made some great work tWith "Djano" and "The Hateful Eight". Bringing Sergio Leone , Peckinpah type films
to a whole new generation with a QT twist.
They're both fantastic modern westerns . Proving the western isn't dead. There's still hope. And when it's done right there's no better film. Once upon a time is a perfect example of it. And the score is amazing . You can truly get lost.
½ June 2, 2016
Another testosterone man movie from Sergio Leone.
½ May 23, 2016
At first I thought the Italian-ness of it would be a problem for me, as I've often struggled with other Italian films of the era (why did they persist with that consistently awful dubbing? It's like nails on a chalkboard). But I was surprised at how much it sucked me in, and by the second act I was pretty thoroughly hooked. There are some extraordinary sequences (that denouement!), some wonderfully nuanced shifting alliances, and a languid pace that actually works to its advantage. Great stuff.
May 13, 2016
A crazy movie, but in a good way.
April 30, 2016
A revolutionary masterpiece of the Western genre, filled with high level direction, sweeping cinematography, haunting music and landmark performances, Sergio Leone's fourth film stands proud as a timeless cinematic myth that will appeal to audiences fifty years from now.
April 24, 2016
Sergio Leone truly summarised his admiration for the old west and the western genre with this cumulative masterpiece. I'm now rather addicted to this film and have found myself coming back to it again and again.