Ondine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ondine Reviews

May 24, 2016
Loved it. Of course, I have roots in Castletownbere, and it was thrilling to see the town. I had just visited there when the movie came out.
January 6, 2016
Though flawed in a few aspects, this decent little film is well balanced between melancholy and poetic, and it tells more about the viewer than the characters, since there will be diverse feelings about the ending depending if you are more of a realist or a romantic.
November 17, 2015
You brought me back to life.

An Irish fisherman with a dying and wheelchair bound daughter one day catches a woman in his net. Neither the fisherman nor the woman know how she got there, and they are both shocked she isn't dead, but they're going to make life worth it now that she isn't. They encounter several challenges with the fisherman's daughter but nothing they can't overcome.

"She can make a wish come true."

Neil Jordan, director of The Crying Game, The Miracle, The Butcher Boy, Byzantium, Michael Collins, The Brave One, High Spirits, and The Good Thief, delivers Ondine. The storyline for this picture had a great start and a lot of potential; unfortunately, it takes some awkward turns. The acting was actually pretty good and the cast includes Colin Farrell, Stephen Rea, Alicja Bachleda, Dervla Kirwan, and Tony Curran.

"The sea spit you out, did it?"

I came across this picture a long time ago on Netflix and thought I'd give it a shot. I actually really liked the fairy tale aspect but a couple times it got weird. I think the villains could have been a little better developed, but overall it was worth a viewing.

"She sings to the fishes and he catches them."

Grade: C+
½ May 26, 2015
A breath of fresh air! Lovely movie and great casting! Curious-er and Curious-er! Enticed the learning of mythology!
May 8, 2015
Whimsical...entertaining...
March 23, 2015
I've never met a selkie movie I didn't like. This one has the added extras of being directed by Neil Jordan and having a soundtrack with Sigur Ros on it.
December 19, 2014
A beautiful, modern fairy tale. Neil Jordan seems to work best when he's bringing magic to the big screen, and for the most part, this is what makes Ondine so enjoyable. Not only Jordan's work, but Farrell, Curus, and Barry are also incredible together. They all really work to make the world of Ondine feel real and lived in. You also can't help but fall in love with their town, because it is so gorgeous to look at.
September 17, 2014
A wonderful little romantic film. Colin Farrell is actually good (!), and Alicja Bacheda is really great at nailing the ethereal qualites Ondine is supposed to possess for most of the film. Alison Barry is great and so cute as the daughter, but I'm not altogether sure if her role as written isn't a little too bit manipulative. Her performance, I think, helps to alleviate those misgivings. Neil Jordan is starting to appear as an underrated director the more films I see of his, and he does a good job here.
July 28, 2014
Ondine had its European premiere as part of the Jameson Dublin International Film Festival on 18 February 2010 in Dublin, Ireland.
Music from Icelandic group Sigur Rós and Irish singer/songwriter Lisa Hannigan feature strongly in the film
July 21, 2014
Lets all take a moment to wonder why Alison Barry isnt in every movie ever.
½ July 12, 2014
Abloom in the gloom..
April 26, 2014
its ok. I thought it was gonna be better.
March 30, 2014
So stupid, waste of money!
½ March 16, 2014
a grown-up fairy tale
March 2, 2014
This film indulged my inner child! Was a grand trip escaping the real world and finding sanctuary in a wonderous and magical tale that won over my heart with its beautiful story about people who still believe in fairytales when the world is so overpopulated with jaded cynics!

A breath of fresh air! And my favorite Colin Farrell film!
February 19, 2014
Beautiful little film.
½ November 16, 2013
Colin Farrell emerges in this contemporary and live action interpretation of mermaid lore, playing a lonely fisherman, Syracuse. Within the first ten minutes of the film you know what you are embarking into. The water scenery is captivating, the richness of the picture hooks you, and Syracuse reeling in an unconscious woman in his fishing nets prepares you for this emotional and unique dramatic undertaking. Syracuse has a daughter , Annie (Alison Barry) living with liver failure which warrants her the freedom to take liberties as our heart melts over her adorable nature and vast imagination. These liberties allow for the inference that Ondine (Alicja Bachleda), what the woman from the nets requests to be called, is in fact a mermaid. Annie's quest to prove herself right, as she power chairs her way around the small fishing community adds to the captivation of the entire film. Ondine is low key, unworried about ruining the relaxed nature by muddying it up with useless suspense until the very shocking end of the film. No other film has ever caused such a childish smile following its conclusion, causing for re-examination of the entire film. No matter how you approach Ondine, Colin Farrell's continued talent cannot be argued and Alicja Bachleda's emergence is fresh and brilliant. In a sea of overpopulated films, Ondine is a vivid and unconventional catch.
November 12, 2013
En momentos encantadora y "cute", en otros exasperante e inverosimil, Ondine sufre de inconsistencias en los dialogos, trama, ritmo y narrativa. Pareciera que Neil Jordan no supo ni como desarrollar ni terminar su historia.
November 5, 2013
Colin Farrell plays Syracuse, a fisherman who unknowingly nets Ondine, an ethereal beauty who to his surprise is alive... and to his dismay remains completely mysterious as to who she is and why she doesn't want to be seen by anyone else. Syracuse's young daughter, suffering from kidney disease, suggests that the secretive Ondine might be a Selkie; a (supposedly) mythical sea creature that can take human form when it falls in love at first sight with the right person. Syracuse is skeptical until his luck changes for the better, which he suspects may have something to do with Ondine's tendency to break into song (coincidentally a Selkie trait). Before long romance ensues.

"Ondine" is a beautiful modern fairytale, from the versatile and vastly underrated Neil Jordan. There's an elegance and poetic minimalism here that perfectly sells this simple and rather somber story. The lush Irish countryside pops through the lens of Christopher Doyle, and Jordan really establishes a time and place here. It all feels vividly real and indescribably dreamlike. Perfect grounds for a fairy tale.

Colin Farrell plays an ex-alcoholic every man, and for an actor of such movie star charisma and uneven public opinion, it's always nice to see him disappear into smaller, less obvious fare. He's good here as always, but Alicja Bachleda as Ondine is such a striking presence; mystifying and completely synonymous with this film. Both however are outclassed by the young Alison Barry. Playing farrell's daughter she steals every scene with quick-wit and timing well beyond her age.

The film's conclusion is the only thing that I can see really dividing viewers. Jordan takes things in a rather dark direction towards the end, and I can see this spoiling the established tone and charm for some. It's unexpected and akin to most classic fairytales, and I personally appreciated the change in pace. "Ondine" is so good that it even makes a few obvious cliches (the ex-drunk who starts to drink again for a little emotional manipulation/ the priest who acts as the main character's muse and is way more open-minded and understanding than actual priests) seem less than detrimental.

"Ondine" is a really good movie from one of the most underappreciated filmmakers currently working. A great find for anyone looking for something out of the ordinary.
October 18, 2013
Colin farrell catches a water nymph, finds out she is not really a nymph after all, but no matter, they live happily ever after in a gloomy irish fishing village.