Ondine Reviews

• May 24, 2016

Loved it. Of course, I have roots in Castletownbere, and it was thrilling to see the town. I had just visited there when the movie came out.

• Nov 17, 2015

You brought me back to life. An Irish fisherman with a dying and wheelchair bound daughter one day catches a woman in his net. Neither the fisherman nor the woman know how she got there, and they are both shocked she isn't dead, but they're going to make life worth it now that she isn't. They encounter several challenges with the fisherman's daughter but nothing they can't overcome. "She can make a wish come true." Neil Jordan, director of The Crying Game, The Miracle, The Butcher Boy, Byzantium, Michael Collins, The Brave One, High Spirits, and The Good Thief, delivers Ondine. The storyline for this picture had a great start and a lot of potential; unfortunately, it takes some awkward turns. The acting was actually pretty good and the cast includes Colin Farrell, Stephen Rea, Alicja Bachleda, Dervla Kirwan, and Tony Curran. "The sea spit you out, did it?" I came across this picture a long time ago on Netflix and thought I'd give it a shot. I actually really liked the fairy tale aspect but a couple times it got weird. I think the villains could have been a little better developed, but overall it was worth a viewing. "She sings to the fishes and he catches them." Grade: C+

• May 26, 2015

A breath of fresh air! Lovely movie and great casting! Curious-er and Curious-er! Enticed the learning of mythology!

• May 08, 2015

Whimsical...entertaining...

Whimsical...entertaining...

• Mar 23, 2015

I've never met a selkie movie I didn't like. This one has the added extras of being directed by Neil Jordan and having a soundtrack with Sigur Ros on it.

• Dec 19, 2014

A beautiful, modern fairy tale. Neil Jordan seems to work best when he's bringing magic to the big screen, and for the most part, this is what makes Ondine so enjoyable. Not only Jordan's work, but Farrell, Curus, and Barry are also incredible together. They all really work to make the world of Ondine feel real and lived in. You also can't help but fall in love with their town, because it is so gorgeous to look at.

• Sep 17, 2014

A wonderful little romantic film. Colin Farrell is actually good (!), and Alicja Bacheda is really great at nailing the ethereal qualites Ondine is supposed to possess for most of the film. Alison Barry is great and so cute as the daughter, but I'm not altogether sure if her role as written isn't a little too bit manipulative. Her performance, I think, helps to alleviate those misgivings. Neil Jordan is starting to appear as an underrated director the more films I see of his, and he does a good job here.

• Jul 18, 2014

Lets all take a moment to wonder why Alison Barry isnt in every movie ever.

Lets all take a moment to wonder why Alison Barry isnt in every movie ever.

• Jul 12, 2014

Abloom in the gloom..

Abloom in the gloom..

• Mar 02, 2014

This film indulged my inner child! Was a grand trip escaping the real world and finding sanctuary in a wonderous and magical tale that won over my heart with its beautiful story about people who still believe in fairytales when the world is so overpopulated with jaded cynics! A breath of fresh air! And my favorite Colin Farrell film!